IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Pillars of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do the Pillars of Islam Come From Quran?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do the Pillars of Islam Come From Quran?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Khadija1021 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khadija1021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do the Pillars of Islam Come From Quran?
    Posted: 16 July 2005 at 2:10pm

Originally posted by Jazz Jazz wrote:

Originally posted by Khadija Khadija wrote:

2.  Salat (praying):  If you read the following ayat, I believe you will find all 5 obligatory prays.

And glorify His Praises morning and afternoon [the early morning (Fajr) and 'Asr prayers]. (33:42)  (Fajr is the 1st, Asr is the 3rd)

Safeguard the prayer-especially the middle one. Stand in obedience to Allah. (2:238) (Dhuhr the 2nd obligatory prayer is actually the prayer that is performed in the middle of the day)

Perform prayer at each end of the day and in the first part of the night. Good actions eradicate bad actions. This is a reminder for people who pay heed. (11:114)  (Maghrib is the 4th prayer and the one that is at the end of the day, and Isha, the 5th prayer, is the prayer that is at the first part of the night)

According to Muslim Student's Association 33:42 states,

Yusuf Ali: "And Glorify Him Morning and evening"
Pickthal: "And glorify Him early and late"
Shakir: "And glorify Him morning and evening"

Where do you get the part in parenthesis from?

Where do you get  "fajr" and  "'asr" from?

How do you know that "morning and evening" strictly means only one prayer in morning and one prayer in the evening?

It could be a multiplicity of prayers and prayer-times on each occasion.

Where do you get the limitation of only one prayer on each occasion from?

Regarding  2:238

Muslim Students Association translations basically are the same as the translation you have posted.

Regarding 11:114

According to Muslim Students' Association translation of 11:114

Yusuf Ali: "And establish regular prayers at the two ends of the day and at the approaches of the night: For those things, that are good remove those that are evil. Be that the word of rememberance to those who remember."

Pickthal: "Establish worship at the two ends of the day and in some watches of the night. Lo! good deeds annul ill-deeds. This is reminder for the mindful."

Shakir: "And keep up prayer in the two parts of the day and in the first hours of the night; surely good deeds take away evil deeds this is a reminder to the mindful."

Khadija, this could also mean a multiplicity of prayers and prayer-times in excess of five times and five prayers.

Jazz, Everything that was not in red in my posts to you are my own thoughts.  I typed the information regarding the prayer after the ayat to point out the obligatory prayers.  If you look up Hadith 500 of Sahih Bukhari collection of the Sunnah, you will see that the Angel Gabriel showed the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) how and when to do the obligatory prayers.  They are the 5 which I pointed out.  These are the obligatory prayers; however, Muslims can pray at other times and are encouraged to do so.  What they cannot do is add to the 5 obligatory prayers and call those added prayers obligatory.  That would be making innovation to the Qur�an and Sunnah which is haraam.

5.  Hajj (pilgrimage):

Perform the pilgrimage and the pious visit for Allah. If you are forcibly prevented, make whatever sacrifice is feasible. But do not shave your heads until the sacrificial animal has reached the place of sacrifice. If any of you are ill or have a head injury, the expiation is fasting or charity or sacrifice when you are safe and well again. And if you are secure, then he who takes advantage of a pious visit before the pilgrimage should make whatever sacrifice is feasible. For any one who cannot, there is three days' fast on pilgrimage and seven on your return-that is ten in all. That is for anyone whose family does not live near the Sacred Mosque (Masjid al-Haram). Have fear of Allah and know that Allah is fierce in retribution. (2:196)

Thanks for your efforts dear Khadija.

I can find no reference to the Sacred Mosque in Muslim Students' Association translations of 2:196 that mentions Masjid al-Haram as the place to perform Hajj.

Where did you get the information that leads you to conclude that it Masjid al-Haram is in fact the Sacred Mosque?

Jazz, the following ayat should clear up your question regarding the Kaaba being the �Sacred House�.

Allah has made the Kaaba, the Sacred House, a special institution for mankind, and also the sacred months and the sacrificial animals and the ritual garlands. That is so you will know that Allah knows what is in the heavens and in the earth and that Allah has knowledge of all things. (5:97)

I also have some questions about the rituals that are performed at the Hajj, which include:-
Where is reference to the kissing of the black rock to be found in Quran?
Where is reference to circumambulate (spelling?) the Kaaba seven times to be found in Quran?
Where is reference to doing Hajj only once in one's lifetime to be found in Quran?

Jazz, below are a couple of ayat that speaks of the duty of doing Hajj.  Doing Hajj is obligatory; however, you are wrong in assuming that a person can only do it once.  Who said that a person can only do it once?  It is obligatory to do it at least once in a lifetime unless the person is physically of monetarily unable to do so.  Allah is most merciful.

The pilgrimage takes place during certain well-known months. If anyone undertakes the obligation of pilgrimage in them, there must be no sexual intercourse, no wrongdoing, nor any quarrelling during pilgrimage. Whatever good you do, Allah knows it. Take provision; but the best provision is fear of Allah. So have fear of Me, people of intelligence! (2:197)

In it are Clear Signs-the place where Ibrahim stood (to pray). All who enter it are safe. Pilgrimage to the House is a duty owed to Allah by all mankind-those who can find a way to do it. But if anyone disbelieves, Allah is Rich Beyond Need of any being. (3:97)

You who believe! Do not kill game while you are in the state of pilgrimage. If one of you kills any deliberately, the reprisal for it is a livestock animal equivalent to what he killed, as judged by two just men among you, a sacrifice to reach the Kaaba, or expiation by feeding the poor, or fasting commensurate with that, so that he may taste the evil consequences of what he did. Allah has pardoned all that took place in the past; but if anyone does it again Allah will take revenge on him. Allah is Almighty, Exactor of Revenge. (5:95)

Announce the Pilgrimage to mankind. They will come to you on foot and on every sort of lean animal, coming by every distant road.(22:27)

And here is a ayat which indicates that circumambulating the Kaaba is part of the ritual of Hajj.  Also there are many hadiths which refer to this practice which is called �Tawaf� (see Hadith 673 and 750 of Shahi Bukhari�s collection).

And We located the position of the House for Ibrahim: 'Do not associate anything with Me and purify My House for those who circle it, and those who stand and bow and prostrate.' (22:26)

If you look up the Hadith I just mentioned, 673, you will see a reference to the black stone and the kissing of it as well.  However, I have not been able to find a reference to the black stone in the Qur�an.  If you are wondering why Muslims would do this without a reference to it in the Qur�an, you should keep the following ayat in mine.

You have an excellent model in the Messenger of Allah, for all who put their hope in Allah and the Last Day and remember Allah much. (33:21)

PAZ, Khadija

Edited by Khadija1021
Say: 'My prayer and my rites, my living and my dying, are for Allah alone, the Lord of all the worlds. (Qur'an, 6:162)
Jazz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2005 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by Deus Deus wrote:

Where is reference to doing Hajj only once in one's lifetime to be found in Quran?

I'm only commenting on the questions, not answering them.
Kissing the black rock? This is not part of any ritual. You can do it if you like to.
Hajj only once in a lifetime? Do it as many times as you can afford.

Hi Deus,

Kissing of the black rock is performed as a ritual, my question was not intended to suggest it to be obligatory, but is it to be found in Quran?
If not, then why is this ritual practiced.
To clarify my question about Hajj..........I worded my question incorrectly..........it should say.......
Where is a reference to be found in Quran for muslims to do Hajj at least once in a lifetime?
Deus View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2005 at 4:12pm

I'm only commenting on the questions, not answering them.
Kissing the black rock? This is not part of any ritual. You can do it if you like to.
Hajj only once in a lifetime? Do it as many times as you can afford.

Yusuf. View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yusuf. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2005 at 2:35pm

While all the pillars are referred to in the Holy Qur'an, the specific reference to them as pillars comes from the Ahaadith. There are numerous references, but here is one:

Sahih Muslim, Book 001, Number 0018:

It is narrated on the authority of ('Abdullah) son of Umar (may Allah be pleased with them) that the Holy Prophet (may peace of Allah be upon him) said: (The superstructure of) al-Islam is raised on five (pillars), i. e. the oneness of Allah, the establishment of prayer, payment of Zakat, the, fast of Ramadan, Pilgrimage (to Mecca).

Likewise, the timings of the five canonical prayers and the specifics of the rituals of Hajj are to be found in the Ahaadith, not the Holy Qur'an.

Edited by Yusuf.
Yusuf
Jazz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2005 at 2:23am
Originally posted by Khadija1021 Khadija1021 wrote:

Jazz,

Everything in red type is a quote from the Qur�an regarding what you asked about 5 Pillars of Islam.

Men and women who are Muslims, men and women who are believers, men and women who are obedient, men and women who are truthful, men and women who are steadfast, men and women who are humble, men and women who give charity, men and women who fast, men and women who guard their chastity, men and women who remember Allah much: Allah has prepared forgiveness for them and an immense reward. (33:35)

1.  Shahadah:  �There is no god but Allah, and Muhammad is His Messenger.�

(Allah said,) 'I am Allah. There is no god but Me, so worship Me and perform prayer to remember Me.' (20:14)

Allah! There is no God save Him, the Alive, the Eternal. Neither slumber nor sleep overtaketh Him. Unto Him belongeth whatsoever is in the heavens and whatsoever is in the earth. Who is he that intercedeth with Him save by His leave? He knoweth that which is in front of them and that which is behind them, while they encompass nothing of His knowledge save what He will. His throne includeth the heavens and the earth, and He is never weary of preserving them. He is the Sublime, the Tremendous. There is no compulsion in religion. The right direction is henceforth distinct from error. And he who rejecteth false deities and believeth in Allah hath grasped a firm hand hold which will never break. Allah is Hearer, Knower. (2:255-256)

Muhammad is not the father of any man among you, but he is the messenger of Allah and the Seal of the Prophets; and Allah is Aware of all things. (33:40)

You have an excellent model in the Messenger of Allah, for all who put their hope in Allah and the Last Day and remember Allah much. (33:21)

Thanks Khadija,
This certainly clarifies the declaration of faith.

2.  Salat (praying):  If you read the following ayat, I believe you will find all 5 obligatory prays.

And glorify His Praises morning and afternoon [the early morning (Fajr) and 'Asr prayers]. (33:42)  (Fajr is the 1st, Asr is the 3rd)

Safeguard the prayer-especially the middle one. Stand in obedience to Allah. (2:238) (Dhuhr the 2nd obligatory prayer is actually the prayer that is performed in the middle of the day)

Perform prayer at each end of the day and in the first part of the night. Good actions eradicate bad actions. This is a reminder for people who pay heed. (11:114)  (Maghrib is the 4th prayer and the one that is at the end of the day, and Isha, the 5th prayer, is the prayer that is at the first part of the night)

According to Muslim Student's Association 33:42 states,

Yusuf Ali: "And Glorify Him Morning and evening"
Pickthal: "And glorify Him early and late"
Shakir: "And glorify Him morning and evening"

Where do you get the part in parenthesis from?

Where do you get  "fajr" and  "'asr" from?

How do you know that "morning and evening" strictly means only one prayer in morning and one prayer in the evening?

It could be a multiplicity of prayers and prayer-times on each occasion.

Where do you get the limitation of only one prayer on each occasion from?

Regarding  2:238

Muslim Students Association translations basically are the same as the translation you have posted.

Regarding 11:114

According to Muslim Students' Association translation of 11:114

Yusuf Ali: "And establish regular prayers at the two ends of the day and at the approaches of the night: For those things, that are good remove those that are evil. Be that the word of rememberance to those who remember."

Pickthal: "Establish worship at the two ends of the day and in some watches of the night. Lo! good deeds annul ill-deeds. This is reminder for the mindful."

Shakir: "And keep up prayer in the two parts of the day and in the first hours of the night; surely good deeds take away evil deeds this is a reminder to the mindful."

Khadija, this could also mean a multiplicity of prayers and prayer-times in excess of five times and five prayers.

3.  Sawm (fasting):  MOCKBA�s has a direct quote from the Qur�an.

You who believe! Fasting is prescribed for you, as it was prescribed for those before you-so that hopefully you will guard against evil-for a specified number of days. But any of you who are ill or on a journey should fast a number of other days. For those who can (scarcely) afford it, making up for it means feeding a poor man. And if someone does good of his own accord, it is better for him. But that you should fast is better for you, if you only knew. (2:183-184)

The month of Ramadan is the one in which the Qur'an was sent down as guidance for mankind, with Clear Signs containing guidance and discrimination. Any of you who are resident for the month should fast it. But any of you who are ill or on a journey should fast a number of other days. Allah desires ease for you; He does not desire difficulty for you. You should complete the number of days and proclaim Allah's greatness for the guidance He has given you so that hopefully you will be thankful. (2:185)

Khadija, Thank you, these translations do clarify the call to fast for one month.

4.  Zakat (Charity):  There are many ayat which command Muslims to give Zakat.  I have listed a few below.

Perform prayer and give the alms and bow with those who bow. (2:43)

Perform prayer and give the alms. Any good you send ahead for yourselves, you will find with Allah. Certainly Allah sees what you do. (2:110)

The mosques of Allah should only be maintained by those who believe in Allah and the Last Day and perform prayer and give the alms, and fear no one but Allah. They are the ones most likely to be guided. (9:18)

(Believers are) those who, if We establish them firmly on the earth, will perform prayer and give the alms, and command what is right and forbid what is wrong. The end result of all affairs is with Allah. (22:41)

Thanks again Khadija, this too clarifies the case for giving to charity.

5.  Hajj (pilgrimage):

Perform the pilgrimage and the pious visit for Allah. If you are forcibly prevented, make whatever sacrifice is feasible. But do not shave your heads until the sacrificial animal has reached the place of sacrifice. If any of you are ill or have a head injury, the expiation is fasting or charity or sacrifice when you are safe and well again. And if you are secure, then he who takes advantage of a pious visit before the pilgrimage should make whatever sacrifice is feasible. For any one who cannot, there is three days' fast on pilgrimage and seven on your return-that is ten in all. That is for anyone whose family does not live near the Sacred Mosque (Masjid al-Haram). Have fear of Allah and know that Allah is fierce in retribution. (2:196)

PAZ, Khadija

Thanks for your efforts dear Khadija.

I can find no reference to the Sacred Mosque in Muslim Students' Association translations of 2:196 that mentions Masjid al-Haram as the place to perform Hajj.

Where did you get the information that leads you to conclude that it Masjid al-Haram is in fact the Sacred Mosque?

I also have some questions about the rituals that are performed at the Hajj, which include:-
Where is reference to circumambulate (spelling?) the Kaaba seven times to be found in Quran?
---------------------------------------------------

As an aside, is there some way that one can cut and paste into the text-pane during forum-discussion?
It is extremely time consuming to have to type in relevant quotes.

Edited by Jazz
Khadija1021 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khadija1021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2005 at 6:45pm

Jazz,

Everything in red type is a quote from the Qur�an regarding what you asked about 5 Pillars of Islam.

Men and women who are Muslims, men and women who are believers, men and women who are obedient, men and women who are truthful, men and women who are steadfast, men and women who are humble, men and women who give charity, men and women who fast, men and women who guard their chastity, men and women who remember Allah much: Allah has prepared forgiveness for them and an immense reward. (33:35)

1.  Shahadah:  �There is no god but Allah, and Muhammad is His Messenger.�

(Allah said,) 'I am Allah. There is no god but Me, so worship Me and perform prayer to remember Me.' (20:14)

Allah! There is no God save Him, the Alive, the Eternal. Neither slumber nor sleep overtaketh Him. Unto Him belongeth whatsoever is in the heavens and whatsoever is in the earth. Who is he that intercedeth with Him save by His leave? He knoweth that which is in front of them and that which is behind them, while they encompass nothing of His knowledge save what He will. His throne includeth the heavens and the earth, and He is never weary of preserving them. He is the Sublime, the Tremendous. There is no compulsion in religion. The right direction is henceforth distinct from error. And he who rejecteth false deities and believeth in Allah hath grasped a firm hand hold which will never break. Allah is Hearer, Knower. (2:255-256)

Muhammad is not the father of any man among you, but he is the messenger of Allah and the Seal of the Prophets; and Allah is Aware of all things. (33:40)

3.  Sawm (fasting):  MOCKBA�s has a direct quote from the Qur�an.

You who believe! Fasting is prescribed for you, as it was prescribed for those before you-so that hopefully you will guard against evil-for a specified number of days. But any of you who are ill or on a journey should fast a number of other days. For those who can (scarcely) afford it, making up for it means feeding a poor man. And if someone does good of his own accord, it is better for him. But that you should fast is better for you, if you only knew. (2:183-184)

The month of Ramadan is the one in which the Qur'an was sent down as guidance for mankind, with Clear Signs containing guidance and discrimination. Any of you who are resident for the month should fast it. But any of you who are ill or on a journey should fast a number of other days. Allah desires ease for you; He does not desire difficulty for you. You should complete the number of days and proclaim Allah's greatness for the guidance He has given you so that hopefully you will be thankful. (2:185)

4.  Zakat (Charity):  There are many ayat which command Muslims to give Zakat.  I have listed a few below.

Perform prayer and give the alms and bow with those who bow. (2:43)

Perform prayer and give the alms. Any good you send ahead for yourselves, you will find with Allah. Certainly Allah sees what you do. (2:110)

The mosques of Allah should only be maintained by those who believe in Allah and the Last Day and perform prayer and give the alms, and fear no one but Allah. They are the ones most likely to be guided. (9:18)

(Believers are) those who, if We establish them firmly on the earth, will perform prayer and give the alms, and command what is right and forbid what is wrong. The end result of all affairs is with Allah. (22:41)

5.  Hajj (pilgrimage):

PAZ, Khadija

Say: 'My prayer and my rites, my living and my dying, are for Allah alone, the Lord of all the worlds. (Qur'an, 6:162)
MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOCKBA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2005 at 5:35am

Bismillah

Testimony of Faith (Kalima)

Say: He is Allah, the One and Only; (Quran 112:1)

And your Allah is One Allah. there is no god but He, Most Gracious, Most Merciful. (Quran 2:163)

Prayer (salat) and Almsgiving (zakat)

Those who believe, and do deeds of righteousness, and establish regular prayers and regular charity, will have their reward with their Lord: on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve. (Quran 2:277)

Ibrahim (may Allah be pleased with him)

And remember Abraham and Isma'il raised the foundations of the House (With this prayer): "Our Lord! Accept (this service) from us: For Thou art the All-Hearing, the All-knowing. (Quran 2:127)

As far as the information you have referred to in your link is concerned - it is undoubtedly falsification, to say the least. It's puzzling that of all references you could find on Kaaba you picked the one that is most untrue.

Edited by MOCKBA
MOCKBA
Jazz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2005 at 2:25am
Dear Mockba,

Regarding the interesting information you provided,

Originally posted by MOCKBA MOCKBA wrote:

Mecca is the spiritual center of the Muslim world.  It was here that Abraham built the first house of worship (the Kaaba), towards which all Muslims stand in unity in their daily prayers.  "The first House of worship appointed for men was that at Bakka (Mecca), full of blessing and of guidance for all the worlds.   It it are Signs manifest - the Station of Abraham - whoever enters it attains security.  Pilgrimage thereto is a duty men owe to Allah, for those who can afford the journey..." (Qur'an 3:96-97).  When this house was desecrated into a center of pagan worship, it was the prophet Muhammad that cleansed it of its 300+ idols and rededicated it to the worship of Allah alone.

How do you know Abraham built Kaaba?

It does not appear to state this in the quote you gave.

Is there another mention in the Quran that states that it was built by Abraham?

I did some searching on the Kaaba and found this,

http://www.hinduism.co.za/kaabaa.htm

What do you make of this?

Edited by Jazz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic