IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - No return to Salaams!  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No return to Salaams! - Event Date: 10 April 2009

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Pati View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: No return to Salaams!
    Posted: 27 August 2009 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Full of Hopes Full of Hopes wrote:

Walaikum Asslam.. sister Zahara..

Don't be upset.. in spite of all disappointing sides, there is still goodness and justice in this Ummah.
We're under the mercy.
I believe, we've to start the change from ourselves, our families, friends and then the society then the Ummah will change. By the days, Muslims will get to be used to our Salam greetings. We teach them.

Something else depressed me a lot, when I see that some Muslims always say Hi, Hello Bye, instead of our great Islamic greeting Assalmu Alikum. I know it can happen by a mistake but some sisters I used to teach English, kept saying Hi Hello... and so on. Some colleagues, I never heard them saying Salam or Asslamu Alikum. so!! If I'm studying a language, I don't see the idae of changing my greeting into this language greeting. This is our greeting in paradise. We've got to be proud of our Islamic greeting and not to replce it by anything.

You know dear... In my work, everyone is complaining because when someone is calling me and I know him/her, I answer the phone with "Salam Aleikum", and also, they told me that if you say "alhamdulillah" lot of times, you will keep the Shaytan away from you... so I am saying everytime LOL

By my side, I would not give importance to that fact of people trying to seem "cosmopolitan" and showing they know other languages. Just answer them the same way you are used to answer "aleikum salam" or just "salams" and it will be OK. Don't care about people who reject own culture and accept others one.

Salams Wink
Patricia
No God wants the killing, but the peace.
The weapons are carried by people, not by religions.
Zaharah View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaharah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2009 at 7:03am

Wa Alaikum As Salam ,

Thank you so much sister for this information.  Allah gave you that greeting as a mercy for us and some of us dont care.  I try not to let it bother me and i say may Allah forgive those sisters who do that.  I know here in the States many women are afraid to return the greetings thinking that one may not be a Muslim but dressed like one.  only God know, but that what ive heard and read from here, but to me it is no excuse!!!!!!
Its very RUDEOuch
So let us take heart and be guided in the way of Allah and that of our Prophet (PBUH)
Zaharah

Edited by Zaharah - 27 August 2009 at 7:06am
CHANGE- Let's change the way we eat, the way we live and the way we treat each other. You see the old way wasn't working, so it's on us to do what we gotta do to survive.

Tupac A. Shakur...
Full of Hopes View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full of Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2009 at 11:41pm
Asslamu Alikum sister..

I've got this for you to see how pure and gentle you are. See how Allah rewards us for greetings...

To Preceed in Greeting:

Greeting brother and sisters Muslims is one of these Islamic practices which are hallmark of a Muslim and its merits have been anointed in many ahadith e.g. "One who takes precedence in greeting others is closer to Allah."

(Abu Daud) It is not necessary to greet only those with whom one is acquainted; greeting strangers who are known to be Muslim is a matter of great merit.

Our holy Prophet, may he be Divinely blessed eternally, was asked as to which actions are good for Muslim. Among the actions which he enumerated was this: "You should greet people whether you know them or not."

It is reported about Abdullah bin Omar that sometimes he went out of the house only to greet any Muslims he met and thus to increase his merit. (Muvatta Imam Malik )

The correct interpretation of this hadith, however, is that one should greet others, though not everyone one sees because it is impossible and it might be embarrassing for others. (Al Adab al Shahriah, li ibn Muslih page 422, vol 1)

It is also a sunnah to greet the family when entering the house. Our holy Prophet instructed his personal servant Anas as follows, " On son! When you enter (your) house, greet your family members; this act shall be of benefit for both you and your family members." (Tirmidhi)

Even when entering an empty house one should greet with the intent that angels are being greeted.

Haidth also urges the Muslims to clearly speak out the greeting so that it may be heard and understood.

Although the sunnah of greeting is fulfilled by saying 'Al Salam Alaikum', adding 'Rahmat ullah wa barakatuhu' earns more merit. Imran bin Husayn recounts that once he and others were in the presence of our exalted and eternally blessed Prophet when a man came and said,

"Assalamo alaikum", to which the blessed Prophet responded and said, "Ten" (i.e. the person who had greeted him had earned ten merits);

then another man came and he "Assalamo alaikum wa Rahmatullah", to which the blessed Prophet responded and said "Twenty" (i.e. the person had earned twenty merits).

Finally a third man came and said "Assalamo alaikum wa Rahmatullah wa Barakatu", to which the exalted Prphet responded and said, "Thirty" (i.e. the person had earned thirty merits) (abu Daud, Tirmidhi, Jami al Usul, p. 602. vol 6)

It should be noted here, however, that salaam i.e. is a sunnah only when the person greeted is not busy or when salaam would not disturb him. If salaam is going to disturb him in whatever he is doing, e.g. reciting Quran or doing dikhir or tending the sick of studying or doing something else in which loss of concentration would cause loss, the one should wait till the work is finished.

Similarly, it is not right to salaam when somebody is making a speech, and the speaker too should not do it.

However, if a group is sitting quietly and somebody passes by then he should greet them. If someone wishes to join them then just one salaam is enough and a single response from one of the group fulfills the sunnah.

To be the first with salaam is sunnah and he who does not reply to is a sinner. When a letter is received in which "salaam alaikum" is written, it should be responded to in the prescribed manner while reading the letter. ....
Allah bless you sisters..    ....

Edited by Full of Hopes - 26 August 2009 at 11:49pm
And whoever seeks a religion other than Isl�m, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers(3:85)
Zaharah View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaharah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2009 at 6:08pm

Assalamu Alaikum sister full of hopes

well statedClap

Zaharah
CHANGE- Let's change the way we eat, the way we live and the way we treat each other. You see the old way wasn't working, so it's on us to do what we gotta do to survive.

Tupac A. Shakur...
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full of Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2009 at 11:40am
Walaikum Asslam.. sister Zahara..

Don't be upset.. in spite of all disappointing sides, there is still goodness and justice in this Ummah.
We're under the mercy.
I believe, we've to start the change from ourselves, our families, friends and then the society then the Ummah will change. By the days, Muslims will get to be used to our Salam greetings. We teach them.

Something else depressed me a lot, when I see that some Muslims always say Hi, Hello Bye, instead of our great Islamic greeting Assalmu Alikum. I know it can happen by a mistake but some sisters I used to teach English, kept saying Hi Hello... and so on. Some colleagues, I never heard them saying Salam or Asslamu Alikum. so!! If I'm studying a language, I don't see the idae of changing my greeting into this language greeting. This is our greeting in paradise. We've got to be proud of our Islamic greeting and not to replce it by anything.
And whoever seeks a religion other than Isl�m, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers(3:85)
Zaharah View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaharah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2009 at 3:55am
Assalamu Alaikum sister "Full of Hopes"
Wow this is such a big problem.  I can't believe that you are having the same thing happen to you there in Madinah, the Prophet's (PBUH) home.  Now that is really upsetting.  Have we as a nation swayed or stumbled on the path back to Allah?  Allah have mercy on us.  We must not continue in this way. 
When i first posted this forum, i put it here because WE all needed to read and be aware.  I hope and pray to God that this forum serves it's purpose.
but Madinah....... now that's somethingShocked
Zaharah

Tupac A. Shakur...
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full of Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2009 at 8:37pm

We have the same problem here in Madinah.. even worse some sisters stare at you when you greet them and you don't know them. They just makes you feel you are so noisy and irritating.

Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Amr:
A man asked the Prophet , "What sort of deeds or (what qualities of) Islam are good?" The Prophet replied, 'To feed (the poor)and greet those whom you know and those whom you do not Know

Keep on your way of greeting others sister.. you will be rewarded. May Allah be pleased.. if others don't care of Allah's rewards and high ranks.. I know you do care..

Edited by Full of Hopes - 25 August 2009 at 8:41pm
Zaharah View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaharah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2009 at 6:40pm
Wa Alaikum Salams,
How are you sister Christine123 Nice to meet you.  So you are from the "dirty south"LOL  Thats what i hear people here in Atlanta say.
I will definetely return your salaams as well.  Sometimes i just dont understand.  It was give to us to greet on another,
Sometimes it's so bad and its hurts my heart to see mistreatment from one of my own sisters.  But Allah knows best.
Keep in touch, are you in atlanta also?
Zaharah

Tupac A. Shakur...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic