IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - CRITICAL STUDY OF SHIRK  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CRITICAL STUDY OF SHIRK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abosait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 9:42am
Originally posted by haris30432 haris30432 wrote:

As far as i understand ,there is no major or minor shirk.Shirk is simply shirk.................... 

Shaykh Muhammad ibn �Uthaymeen said: 

�Shirk is of two types,

• major shirk which puts a person beyond the pale of Islam, and
  • lesser shirk.� 

The first type, major shirk, is �Every type of shirk which the Lawgiver described as such and which puts a person beyond the pale of his religion� �

such as devoting any kind of act of worship which should be for Allaah to someone other than Allaah, such as
    • praying to anyone other than Allaah,
    • fasting for anyone other than Allaah or
    • offering a sacrifice to anyone other than Allaah.

It is also a form of major shirk to offer supplication (du�aa�) to anyone other than Allaah, such as
    • calling upon the occupant of a grave or
    • calling upon one who is absent to help one in some way in which no one is able to help except Allaah. 

The second type is minor shirk, which means every kind of speech or action that Islam describes as shirk, but it does not put a person beyond the pale of Islam � such as swearing an oath by something other than Allaah, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said that whoever swears an oath by something other than Allaah is guilty of kufr or shirk.� 

The one who swears an oath by something other than Allaah but does not believe that anyone other than Allaah has the same greatness as Allah, is a mushrik who is guilty of lesser shirk, regardless of whether the one by whom he swore is venerated by people or not. It is not permissible to swear by the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), or by the president, or by the Ka�bah, or by Jibreel, because this is shirk, but it is minor shirk which does not put a person beyond the pale of Islam. 

Another type of minor shirk is showing off, which means that a person does something so that people will see it, not for the sake of Allaah. 

The ways in which showing off may cancel out acts of worship are either of the following: 

The first is when it is applies to an act of worship from the outset, i.e., the person is not doing that action for any reason other than showing off. In this case, the action is invalid and is rejected, because of the hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah which was attributed to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), which says that Allaah said,

�I am so self-sufficient that I am in no need of having an associate. Thus he who does an action for someone else�s sake as well as Mine will have that action renounced by Me to him whom he associated with Me.�

(Narrated by Muslim, Kitaab al-Zuhd, no. 2985) 

The second is when the showing off happens later on during the act of worship, i.e., the action is originally for Allaah, then showing off creeps into it. This may be one of two cases: 

The first is when the person resists it � this does not harm him.

For example, a man has prayed a rak�ah, then some people come along during his second rak�ah and it occurs to him to make the rukoo� or sujood longer, or makes himself weep, and so on. If he resists that, it does not harm him, because he is striving against this idea. But if he goes along with that, then every action which stemmed from showing off is invalid, such as if he made his standing or prostration long, or he made himself weep � all of those actions will be cancelled out. But does this invalidation extend to the entire act of worship or not? 

We say that either of the following must apply: 

Either the end of his act of worship was connected to the beginning (with no pause); so if the end of it is invalidated then all of it is invalidated.

This is the case with the prayer � the last part of it cannot be invalidated without the first part also being invalidated, so the whole prayer is invalid.

Or if the beginning of the action is separate from the end of it, then the first part is valid but the latter part is not. Whatever came before the showing off is valid, and what came after it is not valid. 

An example of that is a man who has a hundred riyals, and gives fifty of them in charity for the sake of Allaah with a sound intention, then he gives fifty in charity for the purpose of showing off. The first fifty are accepted, and the second fifty are not accepted, because the latter is separate from the former.�

Majmoo� Fataawa wa Rasaa�il Ibn �Uthaymeen, and al-Qawl al-Mufeed Sharh Kitaab al-Tawheed, vol. 1, p. 114, 1st edition

Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 10:05pm

Assalamualaikum.

I wonder whether we could debate without cut and paste. Or perhaps minimizing it.

Anyone could do the cut and paste job. But the question is, can we understand what is posted? Sometimes, even the poster himself or herself does not understand what she cut and pasted.

If the poster understands the ayah (sentence) or topic, they would clearly explain it in their own words without borrowing. We can see the difference whether the person is writing from the heart or just copying. If clarifications are needed, then the link could be provided.

Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.
Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 10:22pm
  • praying to anyone other than Allaah,

Many times when we pray, our concentration always falter. While praying, we could hear the aeroplane flying past, that big 747 jumbo sitting on our head while the tongue verbally saying - iyya kana' budu, wa iyya ka nas ta in. To You we worship, and to you we ask for assistance. Can we consider this as shirk or is it hypocrisy?

• fasting for anyone other than Allaah or

Occasionally we unintentionally tell our friends that I am fasting today or that I have just finished my iftar without our friends asking. What does this show? Another form of minor shirk - showing off your ibadah - meaning your fasting was not for Allah but for someone else. Are we not guilty of this? Yes we are one time or another.

• offering a sacrifice to anyone other than Allaah.

Again, it would be such a waste of money and time, if after doing the sacrifice a friend asks, where were you from? Oh, I just came back from the mosque after doing the sacrifice. We could just say - From the mosque. But of course, the nafs in us would want to mention - "doing the sacrifice". Riya' is like fire eating dried leaves. Once Riya is present, all our ibadah comes to zero.

Such a waste is it not?

Therefore, always guard our heart (Ruh) from the diseases of the heart, because we came into this world with a pure Ruh, we must ensure that we return to Allah in purity too.
Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.
abosait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abosait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 10:38am

Originally posted by Nur_Ilahi Nur_Ilahi wrote:

• While praying, we could hear the aeroplane flying past, that big 747 jumbo sitting on our head while the tongue verbally saying - iyya kana' budu, wa iyya ka nas ta in. Can we consider this as shirk or is it hypocrisy?
Noor, While you are asking me to lend you a book if you hear the sound of my cat, does that mean that you are asking my cat to give you the book?

......... we came into this world with a pure Ruh, we must ensure that we return to Allah in purity too.

Noor Ilahi, Islam teaches us that,
1.  Allah will purify us from the filth of disbelief and polytheism If we follow His Guidance and the Sunnah of the Prophet in this world.

and,

2. Allah will purify the sinners who died in a state of eeman,
a) by forgiving their sins

and/or

b) by punishing them in hell for a prescribed period.

Proof for the above is in the following Verses: (I have quoted the translation of the meanings for your kind reference.)

Al-Baqarah - 2:125
And (remember) when We made the House (the Ka'bah at Makkah) a place of resort for mankind and a place of safety. And take you (people) the Maq�m (place) of Ibr�him (Abraham) [or the stone on which Ibr�him (Abraham) stood while he was building the Ka'bah] as a place of prayer (for some of your prayers, e.g. two Rak'at after the Taw�f of the Ka'bah at Makkah), and We commanded Ibr�him (Abraham) and Ism�'il (Ishmael) that they should purify My House (the Ka'bah at Makkah) for those who are circumambulating it, or staying (I'tik�f), or bowing or prostrating themselves (there, in prayer).

Al-Baqarah - 2:174
Verily, those who conceal what All�h has sent down of the Book, and purchase a small gain therewith (of worldly things), they eat into their bellies nothing but fire. All�h will not speak to them on the Day of Resurrection, nor purify them, and theirs will be a painful torment.

Al-Baqarah - 2:222
They ask you concerning menstruation. Say: that is an Adha (a harmful thing for a husband to have a sexual intercourse with his wife while she is having her menses), therefore keep away from women during menses and go not unto them till they have purified (from menses and have taken a bath). And when they have purified themselves, then go in unto them as All�h has ordained for you (go in unto them in any manner as long as it is in their vagina). Truly, All�h loves those who turn unto Him in repentance and loves those who purify themselves (by taking a bath and cleaning and washing thoroughly their private parts, bodies, for their prayers, etc.).

Aali Imran - 3:77
Verily, those who purchase a small gain at the cost of All�h's Covenant and their oaths, they shall have no portion in the Hereafter (Paradise). Neither will All�h speak to them, nor look at them on the Day of Resurrection, nor will He purify them, and they shall have a painful torment.

An-Nisa - 4:146
Except those who repent (from hypocrisy), do righteous good deeds, hold fast to All�h, and purify their religion for All�h (by worshipping none but All�h, and do good for All�h's sake only, not to show-off), then they will be with the believers. And All�h will grant to the believers a great reward.

Aali Imran - 3:141
And that All�h may test (or purify) the believers (from sins) and destroy the disbelievers.

Aali Imran - 3:164
Indeed All�h conferred a great favour on the believers when He sent among them a Messenger (Muhammad SAW) from among themselves, reciting unto them His Verses (the Qur'�n), and purifying them (from sins by their following him), and instructing them (in) the Book (the Qur'�n) and Al­Hikmah [the wisdom and the Sunnah of the Prophet SAW (i.e. his legal ways, statements, acts of worship, etc.)], while before that they had been in manifest error.

Al-Ma'idah - 5:6
O you who believe! When you intend to offer As-Sal�t (the prayer), wash your faces and your hands (forearms) up to the elbows, rub (by passing wet hands over) your heads, and (wash) your feet up to ankles. If you are in a state of Jan�ba (i.e. had a sexual discharge), purify yourself (bathe your whole body). But if you are ill or on a journey or any of you comes from answering the call of nature, or you have been in contact with women (i.e. sexual intercourse) and you find no water, then perform Tayammum with clean earth and rub therewith your faces and hands. All�h does not want to place you in difficulty, but He wants to purify you, and to complete His Favour on you that you may be thankful.

Al-Ma'idah - 5:41
O Messenger (Muhammad SAW)! Let not those who hurry to fall into disbelief grieve you, of such who say: "We believe" with their mouths but their hearts have no faith. And of the Jews are men who listen much and eagerly to lies - listen to others who have not come to you. They change the words from their places; they say, "If you are given this, take it, but if you are not given this, then beware!" And whomsoever All�h wants to put in Al­Fitnah [error, because of his rejecting the Faith], you can do nothing for him against All�h. Those are the ones whose hearts All�h does not want to purify (from disbelief and hypocrisy); for them there is a disgrace in this world, and in the Hereafter a great torment.

At-Tawbah - 9:103
Take Sadaqah (alms) from their wealth in order to purify them and sanctify them with it, and invoke All�h for them. Verily! Your invocations are a source of security for them, and All�h is All-Hearer, All-Knower.

At-Tawbah - 9:108
Never stand you therein. Verily, the mosque whose foundation was laid from the first day on piety is more worthy that you stand therein (to pray). In it are men who love to clean and to purify themselves. And All�h loves those who make themselves clean and pure (i.e. who clean their private parts with dust [i.e. to be considered as soap) and water from urine and stools, after answering the call of nature].

Ta-Ha - 20:76
'Adn (Edn) Paradise (everlasting Gardens), under which rivers flow, wherein they will abide forever: such is the reward of those who purify themselves [(by abstaining from all kinds of sins and evil deeds) which All�h has forbidden and by doing all that which All�h has ordained)].

Al-Ahzab - 33:33
And stay in your houses, and do not display yourselves like that of the times of ignorance, and perform As-Sal�t (Iqam�t­as­Sal�t), and give Zak�t and obey All�h and His Messenger. All�h wishes only to remove Ar­Rijs (evil deeds and sins, etc.) from you, O members of the family (of the Prophet SAW), and to purify you with a thorough purification.

Al-Jumu'ah - 62:2
He it is Who sent among the unlettered ones a Messenger (Muhammad SAW) from among themselves, reciting to them His Verses, purifying them (from the filth of disbelief and polytheism), and teaching them the Book (this Qur'�n, Isl�mic laws and Isl�mic jurisprudence) and Al-Hikmah (As-Sunnah: legal ways, orders, acts of worship, etc. of Prophet Muhammad SAW). And verily, they had been before in mainfest error;

Al-Muddaththir - 74:4
And your garments purify!

An-Nazi'at - 79:18
And say to him: "Would you purify yourself (from the sin of disbelief by becoming a believer)",

And Noor, from your writings it is clear that you are satisfied with mere arguements of human beings and writings of Sufi Shaikhs rather than a solid copy-paste proof from the Qur'an. But Islam requires that you ponder over the meanings of the Verses and try to understand them.

If you have really pondered over those verses you would know that Allah has ordered us to pay attention to physical cleanliness and the following of His commands and the teachings of the Prophet. But regarding the purification of the soul He says it is He who will purify you. He also mentions in those Verses the conditions under which He will Purify you and mentions the conditions under which He will not.

Edited by abosait - 22 May 2010 at 10:50am
Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 5:19pm
And Noor, from your writings it is clear that you are satisfied with mere arguements of human beings and writings of Sufi Shaikhs rather than a solid copy-paste proof from the Qur'an. But Islam requires that you ponder over the meanings of the Verses and try to understand them.

No, you got me wrong there. I am able to do the same thing in reply to you by copy=paste from sources of the Quran which is so abundant, but what is the point? You copy paste yours, I copy paste mine, where do we go from here? Does not that makes us like Jouberar?
Just want to remind you again that Al-Ghazali and Sheikh Abdul Qadir Al-Jailani were two of the great Sufi Masters. What is your position, what do you think of these two great Sufis? Were they deviant of Islam?

If you have really pondered over those verses you would know that Allah has ordered us to pay attention to physical cleanliness and the following of His commands and the teachings of the Prophet. But regarding the purification of the soul He says it is He who will purify you. He also mentions in those Verses the conditions under which He will Purify you and mentions the conditions under which He will not.

�Truly, God does not change the condition of a people until they change what is in themselves.� (Quran 13:11)

This verse contradicts your post above.

Physical purification is very easy, but purification of the soul is not.

And your answer to my statemen
t - While praying, we could hear the aeroplane flying past, that big 747 jumbo sitting on our head while the tongue verbally saying - iyya kana' budu, wa iyya ka nas ta in. Can we consider this as shirk or is it hypocrisy?

is not satisfying
enough. I wish you would tell me how could we get rid these kinds of thoughts and really mean what we verbally say - meaning physically and spiritually so that we are not guilty of spiritual hypocrisy or shirk?

abosait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abosait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 11:30am

Does not that makes us like Jouberar?  

What is Jouberar? 

Al-Ghazali and Sheikh Abdul Qadir Al-Jailani were two of the great Sufi Masters.

When/where did I deny that ?

�Truly, God does not change the condition of a people until they change what is in themselves.� (Quran 13:11)

This verse contradicts your post above.

Try to understand the meaning of the Verse in context. It is only a reminder to follow the Guidance of the Qur'an and Sunnah and cannot be misinterpreted to mean following of a Sufi Master.
Lit., "that which is in themselves". This statement has both a positive and a negative connotation: i.e., God does not withdraw His blessings from men unless their inner selves become depraved (cf. 8:53), just as He does not bestow His blessings upon wilful sinners until they change their inner disposition and become worthy of His grace. In its wider sense, this is an illustration of the divine law of cause and effect (sunnat Allah) which dominates the lives of both individuals and communities, and makes the rise and fall of civilizations dependent on people's moral qualities and the changes in "their inner selves".(Quran Ref: 13:11 )

........While praying, we could hear the aeroplane flying past, that big 747 jumbo sitting on our head ........how could we get rid these kinds of thoughts and really mean what we verbally say - .......

The sense of hearing is a gift of Allah without which the life on earth will be miserable. I dont understand what makes you say you want to get rid of this God given gift.

Please go back and read the example I had given. You are asking me to lend you a book and the cat is mewing. It would be wrong to conclude that I will not lend you the book because you are asking the cat and not me.

And in a similar way the Sufis want you to believe that Allah will not accept your prayers because the sound of Aeroplane is being heard along with your words of prayer. Will you take it or leave it?

Edited by abosait - 24 May 2010 at 11:31am
Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 10:33pm
What is Jouberar? 

He is just another Bible Thumping Christian here.

When/where did I deny that ?

Yes, you did not deny them directly. However if you consider Sufism as a deviant Islamic way, then you are also guilty of accusing these two famous Sufis and of course many many others like Saiyyidina Ali, Saiyidina Abu Bakar, Salman Al-Farisi, Jafar As-Sidiq and many others of the golden chain of Sufi Masters that you can find here - http://www.nurmuhammad.com/GoldenChain/GS/NaqshbandiGoldenChainMain.htm

Try to understand the meaning of the Verse in context. It is only a reminder to follow the Guidance of the Qur'an and Sunnah and cannot be misinterpreted to mean following of a Sufi Master.

These Sufi Masters were all following the Quran and the Sunnah. Also do not forget that Tasawwuf or Sufism comes from Al-Ihsan. In todays world, we could easily find Teachers and Scholars to teach us the five pillars of Islam and the six pillars of Iman, but it is very very difficult to find Masters who could teach us the two pillars of Ihsan.

Lit., "that which is in themselves". This statement has both a positive and a negative connotation: i.e., God does not withdraw His blessings from men unless their inner selves become depraved (cf. 8:53), just as He does not bestow His blessings upon wilful sinners until they change their inner disposition and become worthy of His grace. In its wider sense, this is an illustration of the divine law of cause and effect (sunnat Allah) which dominates the lives of both individuals and communities, and makes the rise and fall of civilizations dependent on people's moral qualities and the changes in "their inner selves".(Quran Ref: 13:11 )

In Tasawwuf there are Administered Fate and Natural Fate. In this verse it means Administered fate. You cannot depend wholly on Allah to change your fate. You have to help yourself. While in your explanation previously, you put all the action on Allah. That we have no say in our own fate. I quote again what you wrote -

But regarding the purification of the soul He says it is He who will purify you. He also mentions in those Verses the conditions under which He will Purify you and mentions the conditions under which He will not.

The sense of hearing is a gift of Allah without which the life on earth will be miserable. I dont understand what makes you say you want to get rid of this God given gift.

I am sure that you have read stories of Rasulullah or his friends when praying, they were oblivious of everything. Rasulullah prayed until his legs became swollen, Ali Radhiyallahuanhu prayed until he did not feel the pain of the arrow being pulled from his back, Abu Bakar weeping while praying and many more. The analogy is like this, we are so absorbed in doing something that we really are so interested in, or absorbed in watching a TV programme, sometimes we are oblivious of everything else. Someone calling, you cannot hear, someone walking, by you cannot see. The attention is 100 percent towards what we were doing.

In solah, this can also be achieved. Apply Ihsan - to worship as if you are seeing Allah, if not He definitely sees you.

And in a similar way the Sufis want you to believe that Allah will not accept your prayers because the sound of Aeroplane is being heard along with your words of prayer. Will you take it or leave it?

As we know Allah is Ar-Rahman  Most Gracious, Ar-Raheem Most Merciful, Al-Ghafur - Most Forgiving, At-Taubah - Accepter of Repentance. He will judge us fairly as He is Al-Adl - Most Just. He will judge us according to our ability and our knowledge.

Abosait, I am going to be 50 this year and I had learned from many teachers since my teenage years, but only 5 years back I was so lucky to find a thariqah that teach one about another pillar of Islam that many teachers avoid that is IHSAN.

Since then, there had been a lot of improvements even if it is slowly. And that I could not thank Allah enough.

Alhamdulillah.

abosait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abosait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 10:13am

.....Yes, you did not deny them directly......

Jazakallahu khair for your truthfulness. Ameen.

However if you consider Sufism as a deviant Islamic way, then you are also guilty of accusing these two famous Sufis and of course many many others ............These Sufi Masters were all following the Quran and the Sunnah..........

I have not pointed my finger at anyone but it is you who are selecting the Buzurgs and accusing them. Also Nur, please dont forget that no human being is infallible.

.....no say in our own fate........

What makes you come to such conclusion? I repeat my statement highlighting the lines which if you read along with the verses that I quoted in Proof will convince you as to how wrong you are in your above statement.

But regarding the purification of the soul He says it is He who will purify you. He also mentions in those Verses the conditions under which He will Purify you and mentions the conditions under which He will not.

In solah, ........worship as if you are seeing Allah, if not He definitely sees you.

Of course. Who has denied that?

Abosait, .......... only 5 years back I was so lucky to find a thariqah that teach one about another pillar of Islam that many teachers avoid that is IHSAN.

In which century was IHSAN given the grade of 'another pillar of Islam' and by whom? 

Also please read my post at the following page.:

Edited by abosait - 25 May 2010 at 10:27am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic