IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Problem areas in the Quran  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problem areas in the Quran

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apollos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2009 at 8:10pm

I�d like to add a question to my initial list. Though it involves many areas of the Quran, I don�t think I need to list specific references. I�m not interested in how a specific passage on this is explained but the complete concept of Mercy and Justice. Here is what I mean:

I know there are many references in the Quran about God being Just and God being Merciful. Though the same words are in the Bible I think Muslims reject the Christian and Jewish view of these and I would like to know how Muslims reconcile these two opposing attributes of God.

As an illustration, consider a person who has done something wrong according to God�s standards. If God did not require full consequences/punishment for this wrong, God couldn�t be Just, could He? Yet if God requires this person to be punished, where is God�s Mercy?

Apollos

Nazarene View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nazarene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2009 at 4:30am
Yet if God requires this person to be punished, where is God�s Mercy?
peace!
   this question attains to the will of god. who among us can fully  comprehend that? a similitude may help.
   say a child does wrong . a parent who truely cares will correct { punish } the child with a negitive to establish and explain a positive. thus bringing the child back to a correct path for his/her own well being.
     the punishment itself is a mercy to the development of the child .
     as for the punishment of DEATH { damnation of the soul .} it to could be a mercy .
     as those who are saved with eternal life are released from themselves from the present reality to everlasting life.
     those who are punished in turn are also released from themselves  in this reality. even though to eternal death it may still be  a mercy to them. a putting out of ones miserey so to speak.
     it would not be surprising the mercy of god would be as profound as god himself is.
leland

Edited by Nazarene - 23 March 2009 at 7:55am
love for all conquers all
Akhe Abdullah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akhe Abdullah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2009 at 8:02am
Originally posted by Apollos Apollos wrote:

I�m not interested in how a specific passage on this is explained
As Salamu Alaikum.See that is your mentality that holds you back from obtaining proper guidance.You cant keep asking questions and not wanting to hear an fully explainable answer.Is this how you learn the Bible?If not you should approach your questions about the Qur'an the same way,But I suppose that you dont so you just believe whatever because you were told to as a child not to question the word of God right?Its ok I now how it is, I was there before,Till I grew-up

Edited by icforumadmin - 23 March 2009 at 1:29pm
Apollos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apollos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2009 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Nazarene Nazarene wrote:

Yet if God requires this person to be punished, where is God�s Mercy?
peace!
   this question attains to the will of god. who among us can fully  comprehend that? a similitude may help.
   say a child does wrong . a parent who truely cares will correct { punish } the child with a negitive to establish and explain a positive. thus bringing the child back to a correct path for his/her own well being.
     the punishment itself is a mercy to the development of the child .
     as for the punishment of DEATH { damnation of the soul .} it to could be a mercy .
     as those who are saved with eternal life are released from themselves from the present reality to everlasting life.
     those who are punished in turn are also released from themselves  in this reality. even though to eternal death it may still be  a mercy to them. a putting out of ones miserey so to speak.
     it would not be surprising the mercy of god would be as profound as god himself is.
leland

Leland,

How does this relate to a Muslim whose balance of deeds is 51% good?

Apollos
Nazarene View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nazarene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2009 at 1:54pm
peace and joy be yours today!

i realy can't answer that. it's beyond me. but it seems that in the muslim in your example the good holds the controling share.
leland

Edited by Nazarene - 23 March 2009 at 2:29pm
Nazarene View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nazarene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2009 at 2:13pm
peace!
Another Muslim said bowing is not the same as worship - as you say. Do Muslims agree on this view? Also, are you saying that because humans have the spirit of God within them, that angels should bow down and worship some humans today?

Apollos

as for bowing it's used as a sign of worship as stated all over the bible. but it is not the only use for it.
it's a sign of respect,admoration and also as a sign of obedeance to the one giving the command.
   as for the angels worshiping humanity today we can't say. we don't know why the command to bow was for. was it for an act of warship?an act of respect? an act of admoration? or an act of obedence to god?
   leland

Edited by Nazarene - 23 March 2009 at 2:16pm
Apollos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apollos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2009 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Nazarene Nazarene wrote:

peace and joy be yours today!

i realy can't answer that. it's beyond me. but it seems that in the muslim in your example the good holds the controling share.
leland

So does this mean that you are unsure as to how God will judge such a person? I would have thought this question would be of the utmost concern to the indivdual.

Apollos
Usmani View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usmani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2009 at 12:41am

Quote:-As an illustration, consider a person who has done something wrong according to God�s standards. If God did not require full consequences/punishment for this wrong, God couldn�t be Just, could He? Yet if God requires this person to be punished, where is God�s Mercy?

>>>This would be dealt with case to case basis.

If a person did something wrong according to God�s standard and did not repent in the world ,then God could be Just with him in hereafter and punish him.

If another person did something wrong according to God�s standard and did  repent in the world and tried his best to compensate his wrong doing then we can expect that God would see his wrong doing with His Mercy and may forgive him.

Engage your self in good deeds,otherswise yours nafs will engage you in bad deeds
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>
  Share Topic