IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Problem areas in the Quran  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problem areas in the Quran

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apollos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem areas in the Quran
    Posted: 19 March 2009 at 6:05pm

The Muslims on this site have done a good job of describing why they believe the Bible has contradictions in it. They may not be getting a good explanation from Christians or Jews on their examples because Muslims, Jehovah�s Witnesses, New Age and Atheists jump in with an assortment of responses that are often different. But that�s OK because this site is sponsored by Muslims and we should expect to learn more what Muslims believe from this site than to enlighten Muslims to our particular beliefs (or lack of).

So, I start this topic here with the hopes of learning how Muslims explain apparent contradictions of their own Scripture. I have done a quick search on the forum and didn�t see it come up so if there is an existing topic that addresses this here, please direct me to that.

I am not posting this to say: �See your book has contradictions too.� I don�t believe there are any real contradictions in the Bible so I am not playing that game. I also know that most extensive writings have puzzles or apparent contradictions in them and a superficial reading may leave someone with a false impression as to the writing�s coherency. There are a lot of puzzling things to me in the Quran but I imagine some could be resolved by a different translation or similar. I am trying to omit those type here. I think the below examples are obvious problem areas that a reasonable person is justified in asking about after reading the Quran. I welcome explanations from Muslims as to how you resolve these.

Apparent Contradictions

Was the earth created in six days (Sura 7:54, 10:3) or two days (Sura 41:9)?

If the Qur�an is pure Arabic (Sura 12:2, 13:37; 16:103; 41:41), then why are there so many foreign words in it?

Is the evil in our life from Satan (Sura 4:117-120), from Allah (Sura 4:78), or from ourselves (Sura 4:79)?

If only Allah is to be worshipped (Sura 4:116, 18:110), then why were the angels commanded to bow down to Adam (Sura 15:29-30; 20:116)?

Is Allah�s day like 1,000 human years (Sura 22:47) or 50,000 human years (Sura 70:4)? If both are just meant to be vague expressions, what do they really describe?

If it is forbidden to adopt sons (Sura 33:4-5), then how can it be permissible to marry the wives of adopted sons (Sura 33:37)?

I know there is another passage that says that Jesus only appeared to be crucified but this one seems to say Jesus died and was resurrected � or what else is it saying?

(Sura 19:34-35 -- "So peace is on me the day I was born, the day that I die, and the day that I shall be raised up to life (again)! Such (was) Jesus the son of Mary: (it is) a statement of truth, about which they (vainly) dispute.�

Apparent Inaccuracies

Many verses describe the earth as flat. I understand that corresponding tafsirs validate this interpretation. Numerous hadith also describe a flat earth, with the sun and moon rotating around earth. (Sura 2:22; 13:3; 15:19; 16:15; 20:53; 22:65; 27:61; 40:64; 43:10; 50:6-7; 51:48; 55:10; 71:15-20; 78:6-7; 79:7-30; 88:20; 91:5-6). How can this be?

Suras 16:15; 21:31; 31:10; 78:6-7; 88:19 tell us that God placed (threw down) mountains on the earth like tent pegs to keep the earth from shaking. Sounds like more flat earth mythology. What�s up?

In Sura 18:86 it states, "Until, when he reached the setting of the sun, he found it set in a spring of murky water: Near it he found a people: We said: O Dhu al Qarnayn! Either punish them, or treat them with kindness." This sounds like a fable with more flat earth thinking in mind. If not, where is this location and people?

Sura 86:5-7 tells us that man is created from a gushing fluid that issues from between the loins and the ribs. Is this saying that the semen which creates a child originates from the back or kidney of the male and not the testicles?

Sura 23:13-14 � �Then We placed him as (a drop of) sperm in a place of rest, firmly fixed; Then We made the sperm into a clot of congealed blood; then of that clot We made a (fetus) lump; then we made out of that lump bones and clothed the bones with flesh; then we developed out of it another creature.� Is this supposed to be embryonic development? If so, it is totally wrong.

The Qur'an says that the calf worshipped by the Israelites at mount Horeb was molded by a Samaritan (sura 20:85-87, 95-97). Yet `Samaritans' did not come in to existence for at least seven hundred years after this. There wasn�t even an area called Samaria at the time of the molded calf.

Apollos

Edited by Apollos - 19 March 2009 at 6:06pm
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2009 at 4:03am
BISMILLAH

So called contradictions is Qura'n are not like those in distorted bible. You don't find contradictions, within the same context.

For instance, {Just one example } -  The authors of Samuel and Chronicles relate the same story abt Prophet David taking a census of he Jews. However, in 2nd Samuel, it states that Prophet David acted on God's instructions, while in 1st Chronicles, he acted on Satan's instructions.

II Samuel 24 - The Numbering - " And again the anger of the Lord was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say, "Go number, Israel and Judah".

I Chronicles 21 - The Numbering - " And Satan, stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel.

Now, can you show such contradictions. These blunders don't occur, if its the word of God. Anyways, now shall i clear up your misconceptions, which you highlighted as contradictions. Let me tell our readers, that these contradictions are most common at any anti-Islamic site. There only aim is to weaken those with less faith, or cause confusions to those studying Islam.

You can also dump those puzzles even. We have all answers to it.

Lets look at those ayaat

7: 54 - Indeed, your Lord is Allah, Who created the heavens and the earth in Six Days, and then He rose over (Istawa) the Throne. He brings the night as a cover over the day, seeking it rapidly, and (He created) the sun, the moon, the stars subjected to His command. Surely, His is the creation and ommandment. Blessed is Allah, the Lord of all that exists!

10: 3.- "Surely, your Lord is Allah Who created the heavens and the earth in six Days and then rose over (Istawa) the Throne, arranging the affair ﴿of all things﴾. No intercessor (can plead with Him) except after He permits. That is Allah, your Lord; so worship Him (alone). Then, will you not remember

41: 9. Say: "Do you verily disbelieve in Him Who created the earth in two Days And you set up rivals with Him That is the Lord of all that exists.'

Now, read those three ayaat and let me know, wherein do you find the contradiction. EARTH AND HEAVEN WERE CREATED IN 6 DAYS. ONLY EARTH WAS CREATED IN 2 DAYS.

HOPE THIS CONTRADICTION IS APPARENT NOW. I shall try to answer as much as i can today. If left any, insha Allah, shall answer tomorrow.

Edited by seekshidayath - 20 March 2009 at 4:41am
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2009 at 4:18am

If the Qur�an is pure Arabic (Sura 12:2, 13:37; 16:103; 41:41), then why are there so many foreign words in it?

Lets look at these ayaat you quoted.

12:2. Verily, We have sent it down as an Arabic Qur'an in order that you may understand

13:37. And thus have We sent it (the Qur'an) down to be a judgement of authority in Arabic. Were you to follow their (vain) desires after the knowledge which has come to you, then you will not have any Wali (protector) or defender against Allah

16:103- And indeed We know that they (polytheists and pagans) say: "It is only a human being who teaches him.'' The tongue of the man they refer to is foreign, while this (the Qur'an) is (in) a clear Arabic tongue

41:41. Verily, those who disbelieved in the Reminder when it came to them. And verily, it is an honorable well -fortified respected Book.

If you notice, 41:41, does n't give any word or meaning as  "arabic". It is an honorable and well-fortified book. So kindly check up them, before just blindly pasting.  ANyways, answering you -

Any language in the world has in it many words from other languages.  That does not make it imperfect. If we look at the English language as an example, we find hundreds of words that derive from other languages. The word 'kiosk' is originally Polish, while the phrase tete-a-tete is originally French ....... etc.

These words, and hundreds others, although of foreign origin, have become part of the English vocabulary. Since these originally foreign words have found their way into the English vocabulary, their use is well within the use of 'Perfect English'.  'Perfect English' is thus a question of a script that is written in correct grammar.

Edited by seekshidayath - 20 March 2009 at 4:40am
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
JOUBERAR View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOUBERAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2009 at 9:40am
Originally posted by seekshidayath seekshidayath wrote:

BISMILLAH

So called contradictions is Qura'n are not like those in distorted bible. You don't find contradictions, within the same context.

For instance, {Just one example } -  The authors of Samuel and Chronicles relate the same story abt Prophet David taking a census of he Jews. However, in 2nd Samuel, it states that Prophet David acted on God's instructions, while in 1st Chronicles, he acted on Satan's instructions.

II Samuel 24 - The Numbering - " And again the anger of the Lord was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say, "Go number, Israel and Judah".

I Chronicles 21 - The Numbering - " And Satan, stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel.

Now, can you show such contradictions. These blunders don't occur, if its the word of God. Anyways, now shall i clear up your misconceptions, which you highlighted as contradictions. Let me tell our readers, that these contradictions are most common at any anti-Islamic site. There only aim is to weaken those with less faith, or cause confusions to those studying Islam.

Lets look at those ayaat

7: 54 - Indeed, your Lord is Allah, Who created the heavens and the earth in Six Days, and then He rose over (Istawa) the Throne. He brings the night as a cover over the day, seeking it rapidly, and (He created) the sun, the moon, the stars subjected to His command. Surely, His is the creation and ommandment. Blessed is Allah, the Lord of all that exists!

10: 3.- "Surely, your Lord is Allah Who created the heavens and the earth in six Days and then rose over (Istawa) the Throne, arranging the affair ﴿of all things﴾. No intercessor (can plead with Him) except after He permits. That is Allah, your Lord; so worship Him (alone). Then, will you not remember

41: 9. Say: "Do you verily disbelieve in Him Who created the earth in two Days And you set up rivals with Him That is the Lord of all that exists.'

Now, read those three ayaat and let me know, wherein do you find the contradiction. EARTH AND HEAVEN WERE CREATED IN 6 DAYS. ONLY EARTH WAS CREATED IN 2 DAYS.

HOPE THIS CONTRADICTION IS APPARENT NOW. I shall try to answer as much as i can today. If left any, insha Allah, shall answer tomorrow.

Satan provoked David to gave the wrong amount it is not contradiction if he was mislead by satan it is strange muslims always use this text to defend themself.
So what is the big deal David was decieved by satan and gave God the wrong numbering and He was furious about it. 
Saladin View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2009 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Apollos Apollos wrote:

Apparent Contradictions

Answered by Seeks.

Answered by Seeks, in clear English.

Is the evil in our life from Satan (Sura 4:117-120), from Allah (Sura 4:78), or from ourselves (Sura 4:79)?

(4:118) upon whom Allah has laid His curse. He said (to Allah): 'I will take to myself an appointed portion of Your servants146
(4:119) and shall lead them astray, and shall engross them in vain desires, and I shall command them and they will cut off the ears of the cattle,147 and I shall command them and they will disfigure Allah's creation.'148 He who took Satan rather than Allah for his guardian has indeed suffered a man-ifest loss.

Satan induces us to sin but we sin out of our freewill.

(4:78) Wherever you might be, death will overtake you even though you be in massive towers. And when some good happens to them, they say: 'This is from Allah'; whereas when some misfortune befalls them, they say: 'This is because of you'.109 Say: 'All is from Allah.' What has happened to this people that they seem to understand nothing?

*109. When such people encounter success and victory, they attribute it to the grace of God. They allow themselves to forget that this grace came to them through no one but the Prophet (peace be on him). When they are either beaten or face setbacks because of their own faults and weaknesses they gratuitously exonerate themselves and place the blame squarely on the Prophet (peace be on him).

(4:79) Whatever good happens to you is from Allah; and whatever misfortune smites you is because of your own action. We have sent you to mankind (O Muhammad!) as a Messenger, and Allah is sufficient as a witness.110

*110. Such people are responsible for their own conduct. It is they rather than the Prophet (peace be on him) who will be censured. The task entrusted to the Prophet (peace be on him) was merely to communicate to them the ordinances and directives of God and he acquitted himself of it very well. It was not his duty to compel them to follow the right way, so that if they failed to follow the teachings communicated to them by the Prophet (peace be on him) the responsibility was entirely theirs. The Prophet (peace be on him) would not be questioned as to why they disobeyed.

If only Allah is to be worshipped (Sura 4:116, 18:110), then why were the angels commanded to bow down to Adam (Sura 15:29-30; 20:116)?

(15:29) When I have completed shaping him and have breathed into him of My Spirit,19 then fall you down before him in prostration."

Prostration in reverence (not worship) cuz Allah has breathed into man of His spirit. 

Is Allah�s day like 1,000 human years (Sura 22:47) or 50,000 human years (Sura 70:4)? If both are just meant to be vague expressions, what do they really describe?

(22:47) They ask you to hasten the punishment.92 Allah shall most certainly not fail His promise; but a Day with your Lord is as a thousand years of your reckoning.93

*93 That is, "The decisions of Allah do not follow your time and calendar, nor do the consequences of your wrong attitudes appear immediately after the deeds". Therefore it will be very foolish nn the part of a people to argue that the threat of punishment was empty just because a decade or a century had passed since they had adopted a wicked attitude and conduct with impurity.

(70:4) by which the angels and the Spirit3 ascend to Him4 in one Day the duration of which is fifty thousand years.5

*5 In Al-Hajj: 47, it has heen said: "These people are demanding of you to hasten the torment; AIIah will never tail to fulfil His threat, but a day with ycur Lord is equal to a thousand years as you reckon." In Surah As-Sajdah: 5, it has been said: "He administers the affairs of the world from the heavens to the earth, and the report of this administration ascends (to be presented) before Him in a Day whose length, according to your reckoning, is a thousand years". And here, in response to the demand for the torment, the measure of Allah's one day has been stated to be fifty thousand years. Then the Holy Prophet (upon whom be peace) has been consoled, saying: "Have patience at the demand for the torment which the people make out of jest and fun," and then it is said: "They think it is far off, but We see it as near at hand." When all these verses are read together, what becomes obvious is: "The people, because of their narrow and restricted outlook, measure the time of Allah's decrees by their own scales of time and, therefore, consider a hundred years or so to be a very lengthy period, whereas in the Divine conduct of affairs there are schemes spreading over a thousand years each, or fifty thousand years each, as you reckon, and this measure also is only by way of example; otherwise schemes in the universe may extend over millions and billions of years as well.

If it is forbidden to adopt sons (Sura 33:4-5), then how can it be permissible to marry the wives of adopted sons (Sura 33:37)?

(33:4) Allah has never put two hearts within one person's body;5 nor has He made your wives, whom you compare to your mothers' backs (to divorce them),6 your true mothers; nor has He made those whom you adopt as sons your own sons.7 These are only words that you utter with your mouths. But Allah proclaims the Truth and directs you to the Right Path.
(33:5) Call your adopted sons after their true fathers; that is more equitable in the sight of Allah.8 But if you do not know their true fathers, then regard them as your brethren in faith and as allies.9 You will not be taken to task for your mistaken utterances, but you will be taken to task for what you say deliberately.10 Allah is Most Forgiving, Most Compassionate.11

*7 This is what is intended to be said. The two preceding sentences are meant to support and emphasize this same point.

*8 The first reform introduced in connection with the implementation of this Command was that Zaid, the adopted son of the Holy Prophet, began to be .called Zaid bin Harithah, after his real father, instead of Zaid bin Muhammad. Bukhari, Muslim, Tirmidhi and Nasa'i have related this tradition from Hadrat 'Abdullah bin `Umar that in the beginning the people called Zaid bin Harithah Zaid bin Muhammad. After the revelation of this verse they began calling him Zaid bin Harithah. Moreover, after this Revelation it was forbidden that a person should assign his parentage to any other man than his own real father. Bukhari, Muslim and Abu Da'ud have related on the authority of Hadrat Sa'd bin Abi Waqqas that the Holy Prophet said: "Paradise is forbidden for the one who called himself son of another person than his own father. " Other traditions bearing on the subject have been related in Ahadith, which have regarded this as a heinous sin.

Adopted son's arent "real sons"!  So, wife of adopted son aint "daughter in law".

I know there is another passage that says that Jesus only appeared to be crucified but this one seems to say Jesus died and was resurrected � or what else is it saying?

(Sura 19:34-35 -- "So peace is on me the day I was born, the day that I die, and the day that I shall be raised up to life (again)! Such (was) Jesus the son of Mary: (it is) a statement of truth, about which they (vainly) dispute.�

(19:33) Peace be upon me the day I was born and the day I will die, and the day I will be raised up alive."21

*21 This speech in the cradle by Jesus was the `Sign' to which the angel referred in v. 21. As Allah intended to punish the children of Israel for their continuous wicked ways and evil deeds, He made a pious virgin girl of the family of Prophet Aaron, who had devoted herself to worship in the Temple under the patronage of Zachariah, bear a child and bring it before her people in order to concentrate the whole attention of the thousands of people assembled there on this extraordinary event. Then He made this new born child speak out even in the cradle that he had been appointed a Prophet. Though they had seen this wonderful Sign of Allah, they rejected the Prophethood of Jesus and brought him to the court for crucifixion, and thus incurred the wrath of Allah.

Doesnt say Jesus has died. He has to come again and his death will be after that.

Rest I'll reply later, insha Allah... got to go now! Some others may reply meanwhile.
'Trust everyone but not the devil in them'
Apollos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apollos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2009 at 11:49am

BISMILLAH

Seekshidayath,

The example you present from the Bible is easily resolved but you don't want an explanation. You just want to attack the Bible again. As I said in the intro - Muslims spend most of their time attacking the Bible so why would you act Islam is the faith being attacked. You attack the Bible here in hopes of weakening someone's faith and then you act as if that is my motive. I didn't get these examples from an anti-Muslim web site but they are things I have noticed in my own reading over a long period of time. I used the search engine on the Islamcity site here to find the specific suras and instances of the puzzles I have read in the past. I hope you will have answers for these areas and I am honestly interested in how Muslims understand these passages. Don't read your evil motives into my post.

Apollos
Apollos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apollos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2009 at 11:54am

BISMILLAH

Lets look at those ayaat

Thank you. Can you help me understand the details of creation better? I thought the Quran concurred with the Bible about God spending 6 days creating life on earth but it now seems that they must differ - since you show the earth creation was only two days according to the Quran.

Apollos
Apollos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apollos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2009 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Saladin Saladin wrote:

Originally posted by Apollos Apollos wrote:

(4:118) upon whom Allah has laid His curse. He said (to Allah): 'I will take to myself an appointed portion of Your servants146
(4:119) and shall lead them astray, and shall engross them in vain desires, and I shall command them and they will cut off the ears of the cattle,147 and I shall command them and they will disfigure Allah's creation.'148 He who took Satan rather than Allah for his guardian has indeed suffered a man-ifest loss.

Satan induces us to sin but we sin out of our freewill.

Thanks for the clarification. (BTW-this is the basic explanation for the Bible "contradiction" Seek listed in his post).

Can you explain further how the references to Allah being the source are understood?

(4:78) Wherever you might be, death will overtake you even though you be in massive towers. And when some good happens to them, they say: 'This is from Allah'; whereas when some misfortune befalls them, they say: 'This is because of you'.109 Say: 'All is from Allah.' What has happened to this people that they seem to understand nothing?

*109. When such people encounter success and victory, they attribute it to the grace of God. They allow themselves to forget that this grace came to them through no one but the Prophet (peace be on him). When they are either beaten or face setbacks because of their own faults and weaknesses they gratuitously exonerate themselves and place the blame squarely on the Prophet (peace be on him).

(4:79) Whatever good happens to you is from Allah; and whatever misfortune smites you is because of your own action. We have sent you to mankind (O Muhammad!) as a Messenger, and Allah is sufficient as a witness.110

*110. Such people are responsible for their own conduct. It is they rather than the Prophet (peace be on him) who will be censured. The task entrusted to the Prophet (peace be on him) was merely to communicate to them the ordinances and directives of God and he acquitted himself of it very well. It was not his duty to compel them to follow the right way, so that if they failed to follow the teachings communicated to them by the Prophet (peace be on him) the responsibility was entirely theirs. The Prophet (peace be on him) would not be questioned as to why they disobeyed.

(15:29) When I have completed shaping him and have breathed into him of My Spirit,19 then fall you down before him in prostration."

Prostration in reverence (not worship) cuz Allah has breathed into man of His spirit. 

So is it OK for people to bow before other people or things?

(33:4) Allah has never put two hearts within one person's body;5 nor has He made your wives, whom you compare to your mothers' backs (to divorce them),6 your true mothers; nor has He made those whom you adopt as sons your own sons.7 These are only words that you utter with your mouths. But Allah proclaims the Truth and directs you to the Right Path.
(33:5) Call your adopted sons after their true fathers; that is more equitable in the sight of Allah.8 But if you do not know their true fathers, then regard them as your brethren in faith and as allies.9 You will not be taken to task for your mistaken utterances, but you will be taken to task for what you say deliberately.10 Allah is Most Forgiving, Most Compassionate.11

*7 This is what is intended to be said. The two preceding sentences are meant to support and emphasize this same point.

*8 The first reform introduced in connection with the implementation of this Command was that Zaid, the adopted son of the Holy Prophet, began to be .called Zaid bin Harithah, after his real father, instead of Zaid bin Muhammad. Bukhari, Muslim, Tirmidhi and Nasa'i have related this tradition from Hadrat 'Abdullah bin `Umar that in the beginning the people called Zaid bin Harithah Zaid bin Muhammad. After the revelation of this verse they began calling him Zaid bin Harithah. Moreover, after this Revelation it was forbidden that a person should assign his parentage to any other man than his own real father. Bukhari, Muslim and Abu Da'ud have related on the authority of Hadrat Sa'd bin Abi Waqqas that the Holy Prophet said: "Paradise is forbidden for the one who called himself son of another person than his own father. " Other traditions bearing on the subject have been related in Ahadith, which have regarded this as a heinous sin.

Adopted son's arent "real sons"!  So, wife of adopted son aint "daughter in law".

Will you explain better please? I don't see how your statement explains the puzzle.

(19:33) Peace be upon me the day I was born and the day I will die, and the day I will be raised up alive."21

*21 This speech in the cradle by Jesus was the `Sign' to which the angel referred in v. 21. As Allah intended to punish the children of Israel for their continuous wicked ways and evil deeds, He made a pious virgin girl of the family of Prophet Aaron, who had devoted herself to worship in the Temple under the patronage of Zachariah, bear a child and bring it before her people in order to concentrate the whole attention of the thousands of people assembled there on this extraordinary event. Then He made this new born child speak out even in the cradle that he had been appointed a Prophet. Though they had seen this wonderful Sign of Allah, they rejected the Prophethood of Jesus and brought him to the court for crucifixion, and thus incurred the wrath of Allah.

Doesnt say Jesus has died. He has to come again and his death will be after that.

Is that a Muslim belief - that Jesus will come again and then die again? By whose hands will he die? Can you help me understand this "end times" belief better?

Apollos

Edited by Apollos - 20 March 2009 at 3:13pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
  Share Topic