IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why pork is HARAM  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why pork is HARAM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2009 at 8:45am
Seekshidayath thank you for the link as well as welcoming me to the forum. But even with the slaughter of cows and other animals that are permissible in Islam, there is no guarantee that all impurities are let out of the body even if the blood has exited the body. there are certain pathogens (i.e. bacteria) that are indeed in the deep tissues of the animal animal that requires the meat to be cooked at a certain temparture, which, according to your previous statements I'm sure you are aware of. but then again, I'm not too knowledgable as to how exactly this process is in the Muslim meat markets so I'll stop there, but thanks for the read.

Edited by Gibbs - 30 April 2009 at 8:49am
Salome View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2009 at 5:18pm
    In speaking to my husband he looked up the H1N1, this happen to also be in the great spanish flu epidemic in the early 1900's. This at the time was the deadliest plague in history.

The world had struggled through four years of terrible warfare. But now it was over, the threat was removed and mankind was safe again. But not for long. For in the middle of 1918 a new killer was silently spreading it�s way through people�s lives. It started out as a simple case of the flu. But it worsened, until it became deadly. It would do its work with lethal efficiency. Often the victim would be dead within hours of contracting the disease

. The virus would cause the body to hemorrhage, the lungs would fill with liquid and the patient would drown in their own fluids.

The Spanish Flu actually originated in Tibet in 1917. As the armies of various nations moved across the continents the flu spread with them. Before long cases were showing up in Europe. When it hit France, it changed its character, becoming malignant as it was contracted by African soldiers who had been recruited into the French army.

After establishing a stronghold in France, the flu moved into Spain. Spain was a neutral player in the First World War. For that reason it had no need to censor the illness from its people in order to keep them focused on the war effort. The Spanish press, then, fully documented the illness, along with its terrible life taking effects on the human body.

The fever would affect a person in the following way:

a
(1) high fevers, shivers, coughs, muscular pain and sore throat,

(2) Tiredness and dizzy spells

(3) Loss of strength to the point of not being able to eat or drink without assistance

(4) Difficulty in breathing

(5) Death

The Epidemic spread quickly around the earth. In all, some 525 million people were infected by the virus, with about 21 million people dying. That was more than twice the number who had been killed during the Great War. In many countries public gatherings were forbidden. The Flu was especially devastating on many people as they welcomed back their men from the war, overjoyed that they had managed to survive the slaughter that was the war. But their joy soon turned to grief when they found out that their men had brought the virus back with them, and it would not only kill them but also other family members.

The Spanish flu struck the United States with a vengeance. In fact, over a quarter of all Americans were hit with the virus. In New York City alone some 33,000 people died. In San Diego, California city officials imposed the precaution that everyone had to wear gauze masks when within the city of San Diego. Masks of four-ply surgical gauze which were tied around the mouth and nose were given out to all residents of the city. Not surprisingly, the law was less than popular with the local citizenry. Holes would be cut in the masks to enable people to smoke. Women would wear the masks as a veil, letting them hang loose around their necks. Civil libertarians fought the law on the grounds that it was unconstitutional. The penalty for disregarding the law was a fine of one hundred dollars and thirty days in jail.

President Woodrow Wilson himself contracted a mild dose of the flu while he was in Paris working out the details of the Treaty of Versailles. It is believed that if Wilson had not been so ill, the Treaty conditions would not have been so harsh and the Second World War may have been averted.

An unusual aspect of the Spanish flu was that, rather than attacking those with weak immunity systems, it tended to target the young and healthy members of society. This was a complete reversal of the normal pattern with influenza, which normally attacked the old, the infirm and the young. But now it was those in the prime of life who were being targeted. These were the people who were responsible for the day-to-day organizational matters of people�s daily lives. With them felled by illness, it must have seemed that society was falling apart.

As quickly as the Spanish Flu came to plague mankind it disappeared. It briefly reappeared in March 1919. This time, however, the world was better prepared and the virus could be quarantined. Again it disappeared after inflicting a rapid death toll. The world was glad to see the back of it.

Salome

Edited by Salome - 30 April 2009 at 5:21pm
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been
the foresight to know where you're going
and the insight to know when you're going too far.
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2009 at 10:41pm
Well I am thinking as to why the originator is enquiring about the pigs and dogs only? why not asked similar questions about other beasts out there in the Jungles? This is especially interesting because they have not been mentioned in Quran and yet we, the humans, don't eat them. One thought could be that these animals are not as easily be domesticated or breeded as the pigs are. Therefore, Allah provided explicit instructions about the pigs and not about other animals. However, one must note that the prohibition is for eating its meat only. But most Muslims, including myself, stigmatise the animal to great extremes, which I think is not the right thing to do.
Salome View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 6:51pm
    Well I don't know where you live at, but I currently live in Vermont USA and there aren't very many jungles here........LOL    
     I'm sorry I couldn't resist, please forgive me.Embarrassed

Salome
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been
the foresight to know where you're going
and the insight to know when you're going too far.
mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 8:36pm
Asalaamu alaikum:
I have been reading this thread with great interest, I also have found an interesting article at http://www.geocities.com/porkfatal/

Here is an excerpt:'"  Luk was with a team of medical students doing a research project on the effects of diet on stomach and intestinal diseases such as trichinosis.  The research team�s method was to go to the hospitals and dissect corpses for autopsies. They based their studies on the diets of the various ethnic communities in the region.  Their research uncovered the finding of the ethnic community with the highest percentage of cases with the trichinella spiralis worm belonged to a race that had pork as its main staple diet.  Their research data showed a remarkably low percentage of Jews and Moslems with the trichinella spiralis worm in their bodies.  It is significant that these two ethnic communities exclude pork and other biblically unclean meats in their diet.:

And getting back to the subject, Swine flu, no you cannot catch this by eating swine, but you can catch other nasty diseases. Click on the link and read for yourself.

Actually, the flu is only called swine flu because it had been found at one time in Swine in another part of the world. When an "A" designated  virus mutates and enters into another species and then is transmitted back it brings with it an ability to outwit the original species in which it  initially existed. Hence the increased reports of death. You have more deaths related in a year to the ill effects of eating swine than to catching the flu virus  that is associated with it. You have a greater chance of picking the virus up from air transmission than you do eating it. And, wash that nasty telephone at work! You never know who is breathing on it!
This virus on the average can only live 2 hours on a dead surface. Washing hands, cover your nose when you sneeze or cough, stay out of densely populated contained areas such as a small enclosed trolley, open your windows and air out your house. And wash and wash your hands again, and if you are sick do not go to work!

So please stay healthy so that I do not get called into an emergency nurses meeting because some bug becomes pandemic. Alhamdullillah, the only thing that can get across the us-mexico border right now is the traficonarcoticos...maybe they dreamed this up to keep La Migra busy. All I know is that I am stuck here and can not go home and my husband is there on the rancho and I am stuck here in town with my mother in law and 2 sons for company. Inshallah all will remain healthy and this scare will pass....

Edited by mariyah - 01 May 2009 at 8:57pm
"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2009 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Salome Salome wrote:

Well I don't know where you live at, but I currently live in Vermont USA and there aren't very many jungles here........LOL    
     I'm sorry I couldn't resist, please forgive me.Embarrassed

Salome

Thanks bro for letting us know, otherwise your Avtar doesn't seem to relate you from anywhere on the earth.
Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2009 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by mariyah mariyah wrote:

Asalaamu alaikum:
I have been reading this thread with great interest, I also have found an interesting article at http://www.geocities.com/porkfatal/

Waalaikum salam Mariyah.

I hope you and family are fine and are not affected by this virus.

Does this pandemic affects your economy? When SARS happened, it really did affect our economy in Singapore. Shops at hospital buildings were the worst off because not many people would want to go there. Even shopping centres were quite quiet cos people are scared to be affected with these viruses.

Originally posted by wrote:

All I know is that I am stuck here and can not go home and my husband is there on the rancho and I am stuck here in town with my mother in law and 2 sons for company. Inshallah all will remain healthy and this scare will pass....  

InshaAllah, we will make du'a for you and family there.

Take Care Sis.

Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2009 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Gibbs Gibbs wrote:

Seekshidayath thank you for the link as well as welcoming me to the forum. But even with the slaughter of cows and other animals that are permissible in Islam, there is no guarantee that all impurities are let out of the body even if the blood has exited the body. there are certain pathogens (i.e. bacteria) that are indeed in the deep tissues of the animal animal that requires the meat to be cooked at a certain temparture, which, according to your previous statements I'm sure you are aware of. but then again, I'm not too knowledgable as to how exactly this process is in the Muslim meat markets so I'll stop there, but thanks for the read.

Hello Gibbs,

Yes, there is no guarantee that Islamic slaughter will remove all impurities 100% - other factors are involved too, rearing conditions, hygenic enviornment, utensils etc etc. If animals have been given steroids or other drugs, residue is left in organs ... One also has to cook meat properly, like you suggested etc

However, the Islamic & Judaic slaughter methods do reduce the risk of impurities in body to a great degree - by letting out blood (medium for germs).

Apart from the impurity (blood-letting) factor - Islamic Slaughter is also relatively humane, with lesser pain. Prophetic Traditions give various guidelines e.g. not slaughtering one animal in front of another, providing it good conditions before slaughter, i.e shade, food, water etc.

Smile

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic