IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why pork is HARAM  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why pork is HARAM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronaldo_along Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why pork is HARAM
    Posted: 17 March 2009 at 9:31pm
Assalamualaikum,

I'm a muslim since I was born. I know pork is haram for muslim but why it is haram for muslim? and as far i know, jewish also avoid it. I know that there is something in the pork that harm to people. Can you guys give me more information about this? Just want to expand my knowledge here. I also want to know the story behind it. Why pig and dog is haram for muslim? Hope that you guys will help me. Thank you
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2009 at 9:51pm

Pork is haram because Allah say so, and we believe there something wise behind it, even though we may or may not know what it is, because we have limited knowledge. Maybe in the future when our knowledge and technology getting much more advance we might able to understand the real wisdom behind it. Below video might the reason why pork is haram:

However, no matter the above video correct or not we are not suppose to eat pork.

Edited by semar - 19 March 2009 at 9:21am
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
ronaldo_along View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronaldo_along Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2009 at 10:27pm
Assalamualaikum,

Thank you semar for the information. Actually I already watched the video long time ago and I also never ever consume pork for my entire life. Right now I want to know how pig and dog forbidden for muslim unless for the emergency time? I had heard from someone that there is a story about this two animal in Noah A.S time. If you know the story can you tell me please. Thank you
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2009 at 2:46am
Dogs are forbidden is certain ways and not others.. they are just animals that serve a purpose.. just as you should not eat pigs etc..  but they exist and have their place in the world.

For instance, i can touch my sister's dogs.. i just need to have clean clothes and do wudu before i pray if i touch the saliva.. people can have 'seeing eye dogs'. I have heard Muslims call dogs 'the devil' which seems a bit overboard.. 
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2009 at 3:38am
As Salamu Alaikum

Life is a test for a believer. So Allah swt created Haram{forbidden} and Halal {permissible}. Things that are haram are haram and that which are halal are halal. We creators have no right to convert it or give rulings for haram into halal , vice versa.{Except the conditions underwhich they are permissible}

Anyways, Ronaldo, you asked this with a good intention to expand knowledge, Insha Allah, it shall also help our readers as well  to know as why the forbidden things in Islam, hold good for its followers. For instance, the scientific study, gives us these facts of Pork.

The medical science finds that there is a risk for various diseases the pig is found to be a host for many parasites and potential diseases. Swine and pigs have over a dozen parasites within them, such as tapeworms, flukes, worms, and trichinae. There is no safe temperature at which pork can be cooked to ensure that all these parasites, their cysts,and eggs will be killed

Further,  a pig cannot be slaughtered at the neck for it does not have a neck; that is according to its natural anatomy. A Muslim reasons that if the pig was to be slaughtered and fit for human consumption the Creator would have provided it with a neck.  

The pig 's biochemistry excretes only 2% of its total uric acid content, the remaining 98% remains as an integral part of the body. Also as everyone knows that swine(pig) eats its own excretion, which means that of all the uric acid and the other waste products excreted, most of it goes back inside again. 

I don't know of the story during Noah AS.

May Allah swt help us to follow His deen and steadfast us in it. Ameen

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Saladin View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2009 at 9:24am
Originally posted by ronaldo_along ronaldo_along wrote:

Assalamualaikum,

Thank you semar for the information. Actually I already watched the video long time ago and I also never ever consume pork for my entire life. Right now I want to know how pig and dog forbidden for muslim unless for the emergency time? I had heard from someone that there is a story about this two animal in Noah A.S time. If you know the story can you tell me please. Thank you

Wa alaikumsalaam,

Ronaldo, Whatever Allah has made haraam or halaal is actually for our own good. Pork is haram cuz the harms from consuming it highly outweighs any benefits (supposing there is). But Allah created all life forms for a purpose and that is "for us". We need all of them, they dont need us. There's atleast one thing about the pig that may benefit us. This is quite interesting....

Pig heart boon for cardiac patients

John Mary

November 27, 2004

A Kerala meat products company has decided to lend heart patients a helping hand -- with pig hearts.

The gesture of the state-owned Meat Products of India has come as a boon to thousands of heart patients in need of valve replacement who would no longer have to import either mechanical heart valves that cost Rs 50,000 or tissue valves from calves or pigs which cost about Rs 45,000.

The indigenously supplied pig heart valve would cost just Rs 20,000, including the expenses for de-cellularisation, necessary to pre-empt rejection by the human body.

The meat products company on Thursday agreed to supply pig hearts free of cost to the Chennai-based International Centre for Cardio Thoracic and Vascular Diseases. Dr K.M. Cherian, the head of the international centre, signed an agreement with the company which also agreed to supply pig ureters for replacing damaged blood vessels in diabetic patients.

Under the project, a pig heart valve and ureter-harvesting unit would function at the meat factory at Koothattukulam in Kottayam. The valves and ureters would be cryo-preserved (preserved in extreme ly low temperatures) and transferred to the International Centre for Bio-medical Sciences, Chennai, the research wing of the cardiac centre, for de-cellularisation.

Cherian, who visited the factory last month, expressed satisfaction with its hygiene standards and collected 12 pig valves for experiments.

Robert Bruce Karp, an international expert on transplantation of de-cellularised pig ureters and professor of surgery at Alabama and Chicago Universities, praised the agreement as a great initiative for indigenous use of resources.

Sources said the agreement between the meat factory and the cardiac centre could help thousands of rheumatic heart patients irrespective of their religion. Even in the case of Muslims, for whom pork is haram (forbidden), clear edicts have been issued by scholars regarding animal implants.

Doha-based Muslim scholar Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi has issued a fatwa saying necessity overrules prohibitions. "Basically, transplanting an organ from an impure animal such as a pig to a human body must not be resorted to, save in case of necessity," he said.

"In such a case, it can be argued that what is forbidden with respect to pigs is consuming their meat as stated in the Quran. However, transplanting a part from it to a human body is not consumption but falls under the category of making use of this part. The Prophet has permitted the use of some part of it -- its skin. Then, if it is permitted to make use of some part of dead animals, then it is also permissible, by analogy, to make use of pigs in things other than consumption."

Prominent Muslim scholar Mufti Ebrahim Desai added: "If there is almost certain fear of loss of life or danger of losing a limb or organ, and the replacement is only found in haram animals or in permissible animals (which can be eaten) but not slaughtered according to Islamic rites, then use of such a component is permissible."

The late Sheikh ibn Baz, an eminent Muslim scholar and former mufti of Saudi Arabia, was also of the view that if necessary, transplanting an organ from an animal not lawful for Muslim consumption is "permissible".

Copyright � 2002 The Telegraph.

'Trust everyone but not the devil in them'
Akhe Abdullah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akhe Abdullah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2009 at 5:21am
As Salamu Alaikum, Ranaldo_Along.Pigs are haram because they are filthy,they have no veins if you were to put a pig in a snake pit the pig will eat all the snakes and would not be effected by their venom.They are lazy a will eat and eat till they vomit or defficate and also eat that too.they have a puss hole in their huff.I know plenty of so-called Christians who eat pork and the Bilbe says not to eat the flesh of swine,but they say to me its ok if you pray first,"misled again they are" Allah only permits it for us if it is the only food we can eat besides starving to death witch would be suicide.
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2009 at 6:30am
I dont think its true that pigs dont have viens. . . all mammals do.

Semar is right. . . we muslims simply dont eat pork - because Allah has commanded us not to - simple.

For more information, here is an excerpt from Dr. Zakir Naik's (medical doctor by profession, and student of comparitive religion) book :

Question:

Why is the eating of pork forbidden in Islam?

Answer:

The fact that consumption of pork is prohibited in Islam is well known. The following points explain various aspects of this prohibition:

1. Pork prohibited in Qur�an

The Qur�an prohibits the consumption of pork in no less than 4 different places.

It is prohibited in 2:173, 5:3, 6:145 and 16:115.

�Forbidden to you (for food) are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine,

and that on which hath been invoked the name of other than Allah.�

[Al-Qur�an 5:3]

The above verses of the Holy Qur�an are sufficient to satisfy a Muslim as to why pork is forbidden.

2. Pork prohibited in the Bible

The Christian is likely to be convinced by his religious scriptures. The Bible prohibits the consumption of pork, in the book of Leviticus

�And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be cloven footed, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you�.

�Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcass shall ye not touch,

they are unclean to you.� [Leviticus 11:7-8]

Pork is also prohibited in the Bible in the book of Deuteronomy

�And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud,

it is unclean unto you. Ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their

dead carcass.� [Deuteronomy 14:8]

A similar prohibition is repeated in the Bible in the book of Isaiah chapter 65 verse 2-5.

3. Consumption of pork causes several diseases

The other non-Muslims and atheists will agree only if convinced through reason, logic and science. Eating of pork can cause no less than seventy different types of diseases. A person can have various helminthes like roundworm, pinworm, hookworm, etc. One of the most dangerous is Taenia Solium, which is in lay man�s terminology called tapeworm. It harbours in the intestine and is very long.

Its ova i.e. eggs, enter the blood stream and can reach almost all the organs of  the body. If it enters the brain it can cause memory loss. If it enters the heart it can cause heart attack, if it enters the eye it can cause blindness, if it enters the liver it can cause liver damage. It can damage almost all the organs of the body.

Another dangerous helminthes is Trichura Tichurasis.

A common misconception about pork is that if it is cooked well, these ova die.

In a research project undertaken in America, it was found that out of twenty-four people suffering from Trichura Tichurasis, twenty two had cooked the pork very well. This indicates that the ova present in the pork do not die under normal cooking temperature.

4. Pork has fat building material

Pork has very little muscle building material and contains excess of fat. This fat gets deposited in the vessels and can cause hypertension and heart attack. It is not surprising that over 50% of Americans suffer from hypertension.

5. Pig is one of the filthiest animals on earth

The pig is one of the filthiest animals on earth. It lives and thrives on muck, faeces and dirt. It is the best scavenger that I know that God has produced. In  the villages they don�t have modern toilets and the villagers excrete in the open air. Very often excreta is cleared by pigs.

Some may argue that in advanced countries like Australia, pigs are bred in very clean and hygienic conditions. Even in these hygienic conditions the pigs are kept together in sties. No matter how hard you try to keep them clean they are filthy by nature. They eat and enjoy their own as well as their neighbour�s excreta.

To download entire book ( Answers to non-muslim's common questions about Islam) in pdf format, go to:

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic