IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Wanting to Become Muslim  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wanting to Become Muslim

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christine123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wanting to Become Muslim
    Posted: 12 March 2009 at 12:08pm
After studying religions for many, many years now, I think I want to become Muslim.

Can I move into the changes required gradually? Like going from no hijab to a scarf then to a proper hijab? And doing the same with clothes as well, i.e. gradually getting more modest attire over a few weeks or months rather than all at once.

What if I forget to pray while I'm starting on this path? I don't usually pray 5x a day, but that is honestly one of the most attractive things about Islam to me--the emphasis on prayer.

How do I find the right masjid?

What about family? I think my very elderly and very Christian grandmother would literally die of a heart attack if I told her.

Any advice?

Thank you!
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2009 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by christine123 christine123 wrote:

After studying religions for many, many years now, I think I want to become Muslim.
Congratulations.

Can I move into the changes required gradually? Like going from no hijab to a scarf then to a proper hijab? And doing the same with clothes as well, i.e. gradually getting more modest attire over a few weeks or months rather than all at once.
Yes sure. Take your time, to adjust. Nothing need to be hurry. Just do it little by little.

What if I forget to pray while I'm starting on this path? I don't usually pray 5x a day, but that is honestly one of the most attractive things about Islam to me--the emphasis on prayer.
Even "old" muslim, some time forget. Forget is OK, just do it asap when you remember. However to reduce the forget this days, many prayer reminder tools and devices that can remind you.

How do I find the right masjid?
Go to any masjid that you comfortable with, if you don't comfortable with it try another one. The good masjids, usually will not give you a lot of "DO NOT DO LIST" at once.

What about family? I think my very elderly and very Christian grandmother would literally die of a heart attack if I told her.

Any advice?
Thank you!
We love our family, so we don't want to heart them. If your announcement will heart her, do it later. Let her see your change gradually too. Let she captures with her own eyes that you becoming a better and better person slowly. It might be good idea if she hear your conversion from somebody else first, not from you directly.

Edited by semar - 12 March 2009 at 9:10pm
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
christine123 View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christine123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2009 at 1:53pm
Thank you, Semar!
I appreciate your advice, experience, and kindness.
Salam
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2009 at 7:00pm
Salam Christine,

Congragulations ! Also, i welcome you to Islamicity. Do stay active. If you have any question or feel like to share your knowledge, kindly feel free to post them here.

Semar's post has answered all your questions. InshaAllah, you shall gradually, wear hijab. Anyways, we do have sisters here from US as well. They are trustworthy. You can contact then {Hayfa, shasta's aunt}. They shall help you find a masjid or any kind of help, inshaAllah.

Once again i congragulate you for being blessed and realising the truth.

May Allah swt guide us all.
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2009 at 9:39pm
Asalam Alaikum Christine,

Welcome to the Forum.. there aregood people of different faiths  here.

I became a Muslim about 4 years ago.. alhumdillah.. an can whole heartedly recommend you do things slow.. at a pace that works for YOU. You connection to Allah- your Creator, is your own. And really only Allah knows what is in your heart and mind.

As far as finding a masjid, you can do it through Islamicty Masjid locator. You can even do your Shahada through Islamicity. Once you do make sure you get your certificate. Where it does seem minor when dealing with Islamic law it can only benefit.  They SHOULD ask you to testament to all the basic beleifs of Islam. They SHOULD want to make sure you understand. Which is good.

As far as adopting different aspects... do them at your pace. Prayers are the most important thing.. do the best you can.. I started with a piece of paper and actually learned through the video at Islamicity Website.  I'd have to say it with the paper..and focused first on Surah Fatiah.. and build on. Some was attempted in Arabic.. or lines and the rest in English.. I firmly believe,this is my own belief, that one should do it in English first so you UNDERSTAND what you are saying. So you can feel it in your heart.
Others may agree or disagree.. so be it.

If you miss a prayer.. you repent, make it up and keep going to the best of youer ability. We must all strive for balance.. having a balanced outlook. Yes strive for you best.. and now that Allah has infinite mercy. It is about your intentions. Prayers were hardfor me actually to adopt, if you obtain regular prayer may Allah reward you.

Attire.. go at your pace.. everything I did was gradual.. first long pants, long sleeves etc. Some jump right away to hijab. Do what you can.

Islam is vast and has layers of depth. Yes we tend to focus on the 'outer' because that is what we see of others.. but we also need to focus on the inner. Learn what you can, adopt what you can, when you are able. Sometimes we can be overwhelmed.. take your time and realise that once you profess your faith then everything else is 'bonus.'

Telling your grandmother...  again there is no set answer... I idnot tell family and friends for 2 years.. others even longer.. you know.. do what is okay with you.  For me after 2 years Icould say to them 'see I am stil lthe same person, inshallah a better person. But still the same decent person they knew.' No one alhumdillah had a problem. Others fear immense hurt etc. I think if you risk that sometimes it is  too much, or disownment etc. We all can handle different struggles. Some people feel compelled to tell..

I'd be more then happy to help. PM me, I am in Washington DC.

If you have any questions specifically let me know.

Hayfa

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christine123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2009 at 8:10am
Thank you for the warm welcome, seekshidayath!
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christine123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2009 at 8:14am
Thank you for the reassurance, Hayfa!

I have found 2 local masjids, but they don't have a schedule of services/lessons online. I will have to call since they don't have email either!

I do want to start prayers with English first so I understand.

Thanks again for your advice!
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2009 at 8:49am
Hi Christine,

You will find services haphazard at best.. one aspect of 'culture' is that we are organzed planners and thinkers.. and other cultures are not.

If you find great classes go for it. Some places have few or no services for reverts. I bet most reverts learn on their own. And now with the interent you can do so.

Oh, if you are not married, and people 'push' you to marry.. really do be careful. People think you MUST be married which is not the case. Yes recommeded but as long as you are not foolig around. .it is not a big deal.

Plus when you first revert people either want to 'help' you or take advantage of you. Assuming you do your Shahada in the next few years you will go through many changes.. you need to go through this and also spend time really learning Islam as to know what to look for in a spouse.. a man should have religion AND character. That is about inner and outer. And when you are just learning, how does one really know what to look for. Either she is not get ready or the man is really not religious, and as you change, conflicts happen because he WON'T change. Many 'born' Muslims think they 'got it' where religion are concerned. Often mixing up religion and culture.  And then there is the  marry for a green card, or for a 2nd wife.. lots of stuff.. so just smile and be noncommital.. it can 'soun'  good. But know your deen first.. Then you can tell the quality of Muslim. Many people from other cultures ARE cordial and respectful as is necessary when meeting people. But this is different then family and who they marry.

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic