IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introduction: Who am I?
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - hello  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hello

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akhe Abdullah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2009 at 7:51am
As Salamu Alaikum Ven,Marhaban=welcome May Allah Bless you to imbrace Islam.Ameen
ven032278 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ven032278 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2009 at 12:27pm
Hello all, 

I have a couple of questions that I have been trying to find the answers to on my own but haven't been able to find the answers. I hope someone on here can help me.

1) When a person feels they are ready to say the Shahada where do they do this? Is this something that is done in public or is this a private moment shared between Allah(swt) and yourself?

2)  I read that after you have declared the Shahada and you become Muslim, that you are supposed to receive an Islamic name. If this is the case who gives you that name?

3) When would it be appropriate for a person to visit a Mosque for the first time? Do I have to be Muslim to go? Also what if a person can't speak Arabic yet? What if you still don't have the prayers memorized. I would like to see how prayers are performed.

I know that I am asking a lot of questions, and I appreciate who ever can help me find accurate answers.

Thank you, Salaam
Sandi
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2009 at 2:13pm
Answer in green

=====
Hello all, 

I have a couple of questions that I have been trying to find the answers to on my own but haven't been able to find the answers. I hope someone on here can help me.

1) When a person feels they are ready to say the Shahada where do they do this? Is this something that is done in public or is this a private moment shared between Allah(swt) and yourself?

You do not need anybody to be Muslim. As long as you recite/declare the shahada (proclaiming that Allah is the only God and Prohet Muhammad is the messenger of God) that's enough. However, it is suggested that you do it with somebody as a witness (witnesses), will be even better with an imam and some witnesses. This is important because there are some rights that Muslim individual has to the general Muslim community. One of them if a Muslim die, the Muslim community must perform "Islamic burial ceremony" for him/her, such as bathing, janazah prayer (special prayer for the dead) and also must be buried in a certain way.

There is a hadith (prophet saying):
 " A Muslim has five rights upon other Muslims: responding to his Salam, answering his invitation (to food), making Tashmeet when he sneezes, visiting him when he is sick, and following his Janazah when he dies."
(recorded in Bukhari and Muslim).

Some times the mosques give you a certificate that stating you are muslim. This is just in case there is dispute with your family, how to take care you when you are die. This was happened, one of a revert that we knew of, he was buried in Chiristian way because all his family were still Chiristian and insisted to do so, and we as the community did not have anything in written to prove that he was a muslim.

2)  I read that after you have declared the Shahada and you become Muslim, that you are supposed to receive an Islamic name. If this is the case who gives you that name?

Muslim name is not mandatory. That's just a tradition, many Muslim reverts don't have Muslim name such as Dr. Jefrey Lang, Dr. Ingrid Matson. So you can keep your old name, but you can have it if your prefer so. If you want to have it, you can ask to the imam or somebody else to choose it for you or you choose it on your own. To choose, many website has Muslim name samples, here one of them:

Actually in Islam, there is no islamic and non islamic names, that's just culture. The only criteria for name in Islam is, it should not have a bad meaning. So regular "western" names such as Jenifer, Jason, Joseph, Jesus, John are perfectly fine, not should be in arabic word or pronunciation.

3) When would it be appropriate for a person to visit a Mosque for the first time? Do I have to be Muslim to go?

You can go to a mosque anytime even if you are non Muslim. However for non Muslim, if you want to go to prayer room, you need to ask permission to the administrator or the imam for ethic purposes.

Also what if a person can't speak Arabic yet?
No requirement to speak Arabic in a mosque, english is the main language in most (if not all) mosque in the USA.

What if you still don't have the prayers memorized. 
In the beginning you can pray in English, while you learn the Arabic recitation, you shouldn't  delay your prayer just caused by not able to recite Arabic recitation yet.

I would like to see how prayers are performed.
If you already Muslim, you can just follow the imam in congregation prayer. You just read whatever you can or just listen and follow the imam even without read anything.
Here some link to learn prayer in this forum:

I know that I am asking a lot of questions, and I appreciate who ever can help me find accurate answers.

Thank you, Salaam
Sandi
========

Edited by semar - 18 March 2009 at 4:11pm
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
Akhe Abdullah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akhe Abdullah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2009 at 9:53pm
[QUOTE=ven032278]
As Salamu Alaikum, Ven. It would be most appropriate to visit a Masjid on Friday(Jummah)(obligatory day of congregation).You can take the Shahada there in front of your soon to be brothers and sisters,about the name change I have known some Imams who gave the new brother a name.Some keep their birth names for buisness purposes ect.You should find out what your birth name means because its meaning can be offensive.Me it was easy my name was the same just prenounced and spelled different in Arabic.May Allah make it easy for you.Ameen

Edited by Akhe Abdullah - 18 March 2009 at 9:55pm
ven032278 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ven032278 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 1:21pm

Hello all,

I thank you for your response to my questions. I visited our local Mosque for Jumu'ah this past Friday and it was a wonderful experience everyone was so welcoming that I will be returning again this Friday. The sisters were so inviting and the lecture given by the Imam was of great benefit to me. I think I have now answered my calling. A community to call family. I very much enjoyed myself... I just wanted to thank you all and share my experience with you all.. Salam 

Edited by ven032278 - 26 March 2009 at 1:21pm
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 4:19pm
Thumbs%20UpClap
Akhe Abdullah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akhe Abdullah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2009 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by ven032278 ven032278 wrote:

Hello all,

I thank you for your response to my questions. I visited our local Mosque for Jumu'ah this past Friday and it was a wonderful experience everyone was so welcoming that I will be returning again this Friday. The sisters were so inviting and the lecture given by the Imam was of great benefit to me.�I think I have now answered�my calling. A community to call family. I very much�enjoyed myself... I just wanted to thank you all and share my experience with you all..�Salam�

As Salamu Alaikum,Ven.May Allah make it easy for you.I find that us reverts are the ones who have that thirst to know all we can,because we are new to AL Islam,I been Muslim for 15yrs now, still concidered new Muslim to most, not a problem. Alhamduillah!not to forget about my brothers and sisters who were born,and stayed Muslims,we help to strengthen there Iman Alhamduillah!By the way of them giving us Dawah.May Allah Bless us all and by His Will, we will spread the Deen even furture.(Inshallah)It's our job,who's up to the task?

Edited by Akhe Abdullah - 26 March 2009 at 8:03pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic