IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Burden of Proof  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Burden of Proof

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 29>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2009 at 12:12am

Originally posted by Apollos Apollos wrote:

From Apollos:

I agree that my supposition is based on �Christian theology� as described in Christian documents during the first 150 years of the Church including Paul�s writings. I could have clarified this but I doubt it would change your objections.

Post by Andalus:

It is supposition because none of the writings tell us of the actual historical Jesus and your point of view comes from copies of copies from unknown sources and not from anything that puts us with Jesus.

My point is that you cannot tell us that you know what Jesus thought or did, you can only tell us what labored interpretations of texts say about him.

From Apollos:

Since your �refutation� relies on this claim, you have the obligation to prove your claim. As a starting point, why don�t you provide some evidence that Paul was not an eyewitness to Jesus or that the Disciples rejected his teachings.

Post by Andalus:

My refutation is based on the internal problems with your claim, with demo using critical thinking with numerous examples. You are stuck in this realm that you have certain rules that allow you to challenge the beliefs of one faith using such and such reasons, yet your stance itself fails in light of the same reasons. You further propose that only followers of the other faith have some great burden of proof while we must accept your blank assertions and �assumptions� you have buried in your statements as if they are facts, in fact, we must accept them as universally accepted facts. When you are called out on the internal problems with your contribution, you cont with �special pleading�.

You want me to prove Paul was not a witness to Jesus? Show me a single document that counters what I have stated. I believe that when you are pressed for specifics, you rely on claiming that it is the other person, not you, that needs to specify.

Paul is not even a witness to Jesus, and your following his word is nothing but complete special pleading on your part as far as your claim about following authorities. It is really funny actually. I am not sure why no one has caught your convoluted claims. Your claim begs the question: What was Paul�s authority?

From Apollos:

Paul�s authority came directly from Jesus and it was confirmed by the Disciples as well as signs and wonders from God. It does not matter that you or I were not there to observe the latter. Others were and he wrote his letters describing this sign of his authority when contemporaries could refute him if it wasn�t true. The fact that his authority and statements were accepted by the Church shows how this was common knowledge.

Post by Andalus:

You are telling me what you believe, which is the common mantra one would here in Sunday school. This is good for the faithful, but fails in terms of providing you with the right to lay down assertions which you feel others should accept as �fact�. Paul never met Jesus, Paul came with a claim which differed from what the Jews taught and believed, his proof of authority, the last time I looked, is extremely �short�. We can believe letters attributed him about how great he is, but I must point out that as far as proof goes, it is �weak�.

So, for you, the proof of Paul�s authority is what he wrote about himself in letters. Nice.

Furthermore, I find your statement ambiguous,

The fact that his authority and statements were accepted by the Church shows how this was common knowledge.

In other words,

-Paul is right

-The Church believes Paul is right

-Paul is right

Reply by Apollos:

Andalus � When I referred to the Church, I was referring to the Church that existed during Paul�s day. They had the ability to check with Peter, James and others as to Paul�s authority. They had the ability to know if Paul�s claims of performing signs and wonders was true. The fact that these people accepted Paul is very significant. Your remarks don�t address this.

-so what if the writings you have make the claim for Paul. It is all "circular reasoning", the documents that make the claim for Paul tell us that the church accepted Paul and that Paul is the real deal! We have the same documents tell us to accept him, of the very documents ascribed to Paul himself! Come on, if this weak claim was found in my faith, you would be all over it. But again the ugly special pleading fallacy raises its head in Christian polemics.

-if Paul was so full of "proof", why is it that the pagans were his source of followers? Why did he fail so miserably with the Jews? Looking at the most reasonable explanation, which is not what the Church tells us, it is clear that we have two camps: one who knew the knowledge Paul was quoting, and those who did not know anything. So what group can be duped the easiest?

Originally posted by apollos apollos wrote:

Post by Andalus:

I would also like to point out, that factually, there is not much in terms of �documents� in the first 150 years, and you are deluded if you think so.

From Apollos:

Please then, provide an explanation that accounts for just the following:

Lexionaries before 200 A.D. quote all but a handful of verses from the Gospels which indicates widespread knowledge and use of the Gospels before this time. There are several manuscript fragments of these Gospels dated as early 70 A.D. and no later than 125 A.D. (They are identical to the versions we use today). Paul�s letters � which are written between 52 A.D. and 65 A.D. - quote from these Gospels. The Epistle of Clement to the Corinthians (95 A.D.) quotes the Gospels. Ignatius � a disciple of John and martyr � wrote letters in 110 A.D. confirming the Gospels and who wrote them. Polycarp � another disciple of John � quoted and confirmed the Gospels in 135 A.D. Christian creeds, Secular and Jewish writings confirm that the fundamentals of the Gospels were known and believed by the early Church prior to 110 A.D.

Post by Andalus:

This is the latest �broad stroke� used by apologists. It used to be, �we have hundreds and thousands of MSS that give us the gospels that date from the first century�. This worked because who could possibly look up the facts and look at every MS to show otherwise. In time, it became clear that this claim was not true.

Reply by Apollos:

We do have thousands of manuscripts and textual criticism leads scholars to conclude that the autographs behind these copies are from the first century. The evidence keeps getting better not worse. Since you claim the contrary, please provide some details of what you are referring to.

Once more you are over generalizing, and giving a sweeping broadstroke without any clarity by invoking "thousands of MSS", then asking me to provide details.

The question that must be asked is: What does thousands of MSS mean? A question that begs clarification which Chistian apologists tend to be "brief" on.

Keep in mind that in textual criticism, one goes by quality and not quantity. It is not the number but the quality of the MS. If one actually takes a look at what is used by NT scholars to prepare an NT edition, one will find that only a few select MSS are used, in contrast to thousands. Here is a snap shot of a great example that is quoted by the islamicawareness site. One may find this at

http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Bible/Text/Bibaccuracy.html

Manuscript Type

Editions Of The Greek New Testament

Nestle-Aland 26

Bover-O'Callaghan

UBS GNT-3

Metzger's

Merk

Vogels

BFBS-2

Souter

Papyri

Uncials

Cursives

-

Minuscules

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Lectionaries

-

-

-

-

Talismans

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Total

Manuscripts Used (nearest %)

10%

10%

18%

5%

11%

6%

7%

7%

Table II: Number of New Testament manuscripts used in the editions of the Greek New Testament. Nestle-Aland 26 = Novum Testamentum Graece (Stuttgart, 1979); Bover-O'Callaghan = Nuevo Testamento Triling�e (Madrid, 1977); UBS GNT-3 = The Greek New Testament (United Bible Societies, 1975); Metzger's = A Textual Commentary On The Greek New Testament (United Bible Societies, 1971); Merk = Novum Testamentum Graece et Latine (Rome, 9th Edition, 1964); Vogels = Novum Testamentum Graece et Latine (Freiburg and Barcelona, 4th Edition, 1955); BFBS-2 = H KAINH DIAqHKH (British and Foreign Bible Society, 2nd Edition, 1958); Souter = Novum Testamentum Graece (Oxford, 2nd Edition, 1947). Number of manuscripts used to compute the percentage = 5000.

Notice that the total number of MSS assumed is 5000. The percentage of the 5000 MSS used is extremely small, not because the other MSS were not needed, but because only a few are credible. The other point is that of the thousands of MSS, the majority of those MSS are medieval. Now I am not getting into the methods to date original sources, I am only addressing the notion of what it means to have �thousands of MSS�, and what it does not mean. We know your gospel accounts were taken from many of the other narratives assumed by the various early communities.

Originally posted by apollos apollos wrote:

Post by Andalus:

Now the latest broad stroke is, �we have the lexionaries�, where now one must either accept it, or deny it without giving a good reason since who has time to read through all of the church father�s writings to say otherwise. For those who have spent some time studying the beginnings of your faith know that this is problematic, and for others it just does not seem �reasonable�. The study of the early writings is extensive and one will find that there are quotes that are not in the cannon and there are quotes that are differing from what is found in the cannon. Applying the criteria of textual criticism, one will find that early NT scholars will not pt out an edition of the NT based upon the �lexionaries�, and there is good reason. To just make a sweeping generalization by invoking the magnificent lexionaries as evidence is �cherry picking�. 

Reply by Apollos:

I have presented a minimal and concise list of documents that exist within 150 years of Jesus walking the earth. Lexionairies are one type and your remarks don�t address their importance. Even if the Lexionaries were filled with the paraphrases, misquotes, etc., they document that there were written Gospels with these words and/or ideas in them prior to the Lexionairies. (Else they couldn�t be referenced). You seemed to be arguing that because the Lexionaries aren�t as good or complete as manuscripts of the Bible that they are worthless. They certainly are not. They document what the early church was practicing and teaching in their services and they consistently quoted passages from the Gospels. 

What about the other documents I reference? You said I was deluded to think there is much in the way of documents during the first 150 years and I showed you many. Paul�s letters alone represent a wealth of documentation for what the Church believed while the Disciples were still living.

Lexionaries are of no use for giving us confidence in what Jesus said or did or believed, or that the Gospel accounts have such attributes. As Bart Ehrman stated, �Patristic sources provide primary evidence for the history of the text but only secondary evidence for the original text itself.� As quoted from the website I have provided a link to. Didymus The Blind And The Text Of The Gospels, 1986, op. cit., p. 5. See the footnote 2

We are not arguing that the narratives did not exist, their historical nature as being a part of the narratives that were found in the different Christian communities is known, what is argued is that they (Patristic accounts) are worthless in trying to argue that the NT is a source that can give us �confidence� that we are reading what Jesus said, thought, and that Paul had interpretive freedom in his name. In terms of transmission, we are back to square one as we are with the gospel accounts. Ehrman states,

�The other set of problems unique to Patristic sources concerns the history of their own transmission. The MS traditions of virtually all the church fathers show that later copyists tend to "correct" quotations of the Bible to the form of text prevalent in their own day... Biblical citations in such sources do not necessarily represent the text of the Father, but often only known to his later copyists.� Didymus The Blind And The Text Of The Gospels, 1986, op. cit., p. 6

So with Patristic sources, we have copies of copies. Hardly the inducer of �confidence� in terms of providing strength to Christian apologetic claims, which is why we do not find scholars using them when producing NT editions. Given that there were differing communities with different ideas of Jesus, they give us insight to what we already know about the �proto-orthodox�, a term coined by Bart Ehrman for the group you inherited your ideas from.

I agree that many traditions existed in the first 150 years, I ask for proof to show me that your tradition is the correct one authorized by Jesus, or a first hand follower.

A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
http://www.sunnipath.com
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/
http://www.pt-go.com/
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2009 at 8:11pm

Originally posted by Gibbs Gibbs wrote:

I disagree. Parental rearing (or your respective social environment) taught you. Babies spontaneously do not generate the understanding of ethics, our learning comes from stimuloi other than ourselves.

Well, we'll probably have to agree to disagree about that, because I don't think it can be proven either way (at least not yet).  It seems to me that certain ethical principles such as the Golden Rule, rules against lying or murdering, etc., are universal among all cultures.  That universality suggests to me that they must be innate in some way, because every other aspect of culture (styles of dress, musical preferences, and so on) shows such wide variability.  Moreover, these basic ethical principles cannot have come from God, because they exist even among cultures whose religions and concepts of God are vastly different.

Quote You should have used the bold statement in the previous italicized sentence, because the latter contradicts the former, sorry to be anal but it seems unclear to me as I read it. Instead of saying nobody, someone obviously influenced you.

Sorry if I am being unclear.  What I'm trying to say is that in addition to those basic innate ethical principles, there are more complex ethical ideas that are derived from the basics but are probably taught by parents rather than (or in addition to) being discovered or developed individually by young children.  So while a basic principle such as fairness might be innate, the concept of cleaning up after yourself in a shared space because not doing so ultimately results in unfairness to others might not be.  It is something that a thoughtful child might be able to work out for himself, but more likely the parent will have to teach it at least initially.

Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Gibbs View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2009 at 10:34am
How is belief in God naturally, psychologically or am I missing something?

No one had to teach me that killing innocent people is wrong because I have an empathy toward them, so killing them would feel a bit like killing myself.  Nobody taught me that.

I disagree. Parental rearing (or your respective social environment) taught you. Babies spontaneously do not generate the understanding of ethics, our learning comes from stimuloi other than ourselves.

I was taught more complex ethical concepts, not by God but by my parents and by life experiences.  In most cases I have since been able to verify those ethical concepts by tracing their logical origins to those primal instincts and to natural laws.  No, I don't think God had anything to do with it.

You should have used the bold statement in the previous italicized sentence, because the latter contradicts the former, sorry to be anal but it seems unclear to me as I read it. Instead of saying nobody, someone obviously influenced you.

Religion did not invent slavery, and Islam greatly discourages slavery.

Ron didnt say Islam invented it, but allowed it. I have to agree here. In looking at the language, the Qur'an is specific on the treatment of slaves not the abolishment of slavery itself. I have read some excerpts from the Qur'an that although a slaves rights is similarly equal to that of a free persons, it does not abolish slavery nor discourages it. Otherwise it would have been apparent to those in Muhammad's time that slavery is utterly wrong. Of course Bilal (a former slave) was freed, but I'm referring to the climate of those times. 

Edited by Gibbs - 06 May 2009 at 10:44am
Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2009 at 1:33am

"Even Islam allows slavery, for instance; and notwithstanding your own beliefs in gender equality, a great many Muslims treat their women as lesser beings, and claim religion as their justification."

Religion did not invent slavery, and Islam greatly discourages slavery and orders that slaves be treated as family members. People can claim many things as a justification for what they do. That does not make them correct.  Muslims who use religion as a justification for mistreating women should be asked to produce irrefutable proof that Islam allows such behavior.  I wonder what justification non-Muslims use for mistreating women?

"If you can imagine a natural explanation, why would you choose a supernatural one instead?'

Belief in God seems very natural to me. Making the leap from single-celled organism to rocket scientist not so much....

"No, but it means that the attributes that would qualify you as a leader are not a necessary requirement for a messenger."

O.K.

"Only because they are familiar with it.  Christians and Jews derive the same degree of comfort and satisfaction from their rituals, and believe as fervently in their own dogma, as do Muslims, for instance."

O.K.

�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
Apollos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apollos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2009 at 6:03am

Because the Shroud of Turin has not yet had a consensus on what it is or what is portrays, I did not list it as one of the evidences for the resurrection of Jesus. But just recently some new scientific evidence has arisen that makes a pretty compelling argument about the apparent burial cloth of Jesus. (A movie is soon to be released about this). I offer this link to the highlights �

http://www.khouse.org/articles/2009/847/

Apollos

Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2009 at 7:59pm

Originally posted by Shasta'sAunt Shasta'sAunt wrote:

Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

I did say that our natural instincts can be distorted by bad parenting and indoctrination with false teachings.  It is for those people that we need laws and punishment.

Don't you think it could be for those very same reasons that spiritual guidance is also necessary?

Not necessary, but it might be helpful in some cases.  However, if by "spirituality" you mean traditional religion, for a skeptic like me it would probably do more harm than good.  Nothing would alienate me faster than some guy blathering about my immortal soul or God's wrath.

I think some form of counselling should be offered, but it seems to me that no guidance or counselling or anything else can reach some people.  Unfortunately we will always need laws and punishments.

I trust my own instincts, but I was not born all knowledgeable.

Nor was I, but I think as a mature adult I have all the knowledge I need to be a good person.  Frankly, I think you do too.

But you were taught that knowledge. God sent us guidance to teach us.

I have certain instincts which are intrinsic.  From the moment of birth my brain was programmed to recognize human faces and to react emotionally to them.  No one had to teach me that killing innocent people is wrong because I have an empathy toward them, so killing them would feel a bit like killing myself.  Nobody taught me that.

I was taught more complex ethical concepts, not by God but by my parents and by life experiences.  In most cases I have since been able to verify those ethical concepts by tracing their logical origins to those primal instincts and to natural laws.  No, I don't think God had anything to do with it.

Quote (1) sense of community, love, respect are not intuitive. They have to be taught and nurtured. If you drop a newborn in the jungle with no human input they will not be intuitively loving, respectful, or community minded.

Human interaction in the first weeks and years of life is essential, not just for psychological development but for life itself.  If you drop a newborn in a jungle they will almost certainly die.  We have an innate need for community, for love and for respect.  These are not taught, they are "hardwired" in our brains, and will inevitably emerge as personality traits when we begin to interact with other people.  I don't have time to track down the references, but there are numerous studies that confirm this.  Even animals exhibit these needs, and nobody taught them.

Quote (2) each society has it's own set of ethics, justice, charity... What one person or society considers just you might find abhorrent: burying baby girls, isolating the elderly or sick so they will die, selling children into slave labor. Religion gives humans guidelines and principles that are not always logically derived from man's basic instincts

It's true that societies have different ways of defining who is "human" and is accorded human rights, and who is a lesser being.  Some of the judgements they make may be justified by circumstances (perhaps it is more humane to let the elderly and sick die if the society cannot look after them properly anyway), but clearly some societies do get seriously warped.

Unfortunately it's not at all obvious to me that religion is exempt from these prejudices.  In fact, more often than not, religion itself is the cause.  Even Islam allows slavery, for instance; and notwithstanding your own beliefs in gender equality, a great many Muslims treat their women as lesser beings, and claim religion as their justification.

Quote And you cannot imagine that these things could have evolved naturally.  That is the fundamental difference between us.

I can imagine they did, I simply do not believe they did.

If you can imagine a natural explanation, why would you choose a supernatural one instead?

Quote I'm not really sure of your point here. I pointed out not all Prophets are earthly rulers. There are those who were: Moses, David, Mohammed... My point was that being a Prophet or Messenger of God does not necessarily make you an earthly ruler. That does not mean that being a Prophet or Messenger bars you from being an earthly ruler, if that is the Will of God.

No, but it means that the attributes that would qualify you as a leader are not a necessary requirement for a messenger.

My mistake, and thanks for the correction.  Rituals do have psychological and social benefits.  What I meant to say is that the content of those rituals is unimportant.  Christians and Jews get the same benefit from their rituals as Muslims do from theirs, and the same can probably be said for any other religion.

It may be unimportant to you but it is not to those performing the ritual.

Only because they are familiar with it.  Christians and Jews derive the same degree of comfort and satisfaction from their rituals, and believe as fervently in their own dogma, as do Muslims, for instance.

Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2009 at 2:52pm

Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

I disagree. I think rituals do have some sort of value in them. Humans wouldnt be following rituals if they did not see value in it.

My mistake, and thanks for the correction.  Rituals do have psychological and social benefits.  What I meant to say is that the content of those rituals is unimportant.  Christians and Jews get the same benefit from their rituals as Muslims do from theirs, and the same can probably be said for any other religion.

It may be unimportant to you but it is not to those performing the ritual.

Edited by Shasta'sAunt - 03 May 2009 at 2:53pm
Eleanor Roosevelt
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2009 at 2:30pm

My old quotes are green, you are red....

If this were the cae we would have no need for laws or punishment. Everyone would just automatically do the moral and ethical thing.

I did say that our natural instincts can be distorted by bad parenting and indoctrination with false teachings.  It is for those people that we need laws and punishment.

Don't you think it could be for those very same reasons that spiritual guidance is also necessary?

Quote I trust my own instincts, but I was not born all knowledgeable.

Nor was I, but I think as a mature adult I have all the knowledge I need to be a good person.  Frankly, I think you do too.

But you were taught that knowledge. God sent us guidance to teach us.

It would be interesting, if I had the time, to go through the various religions and  break their teachings into three categories: (1) basic instincts and human needs (e.g. love, respect, community) that virtually all religions share and which all of us should know intuitively; (2) abstract ethical principles and institutions (justice, charity, government) that can be logically derived from those instincts and needs; and (3) arbitrary dogma (ritual, taboos) having nothing to to with either of the above two.  I think all of us have (1), even if it has been suppressed or distorted by false teaching; and all of us can discover (2), perhaps with help from others.  As for (3), I see no value in it.

(1) sense of community, love, respect are not intuitive. They have to be taught and nurtured. If you drop a newborn in the jungle with no human input they will not be intuitively loving, respectful, or community minded.

(2) each society has it's own set of ethics, justice, charity... What one person or society considers just you might find abhorrent: burying baby girls, isolating the elderly or sick so they will die, selling children into slave labor. Religion gives humans guidelines and principles that are not always logically derived from man's basic instincts

(3) I think Chrysallis gave a great answer. Getting up everyday, taking a shower, going to work, marriage, etc... are all examples of rituals. Paying taxes, voting, obeying laws are all examples of dogma. We all follow both, they are what make the fabric of a working society and are necessary

[quote]I think it is clear. But perhaps I have a different standard than you. I don't need God to appear in Times Square and announce Himself. I see God's Work in the perfection of reproduction, the genius behind the mechanics of sight and sound, a million different ways.

And you cannot imagine that these things could have evolved naturally.  That is the fundamental difference between us.

I can imagine they did, I simply do not believe they did.

Quote Prophets are just human beings like the rest of us. They receive the Word of God because of their strong moral character and total submission. A question, if you were going to elect a treasurer for your town or city, would you elect someone who had a scrupulous reputation for honesty and truthfulness whose life was an open book, or would you elect a three time felon who had done prison time for theft and robbery and who refused to answer any personal questions?

As you pointed out in "Higher Authority", prophets are not earthly rulers (and I don't know why you allow Muhammad as an exception).  They are messengers, and messengers have no authority except to transmit the message.  The only qualifications required are a good memory to remember the message, and the integrity and reliability to transmit it without errors or alterations.  Most ordinary people could do the job.

I'm not really sure of your point here. I pointed out not all Prophets are earthly rulers. There are those who were: Moses, David, Mohammed... My point was that being a Prophet or Messenger of God does not necessarily make you an earthly ruler. That does not mean that being a Prophet or Messenger bars you from being an earthly ruler, if that is the Will of God.  
I cannot even pretend to know why God chose the people He chose to be His Prophets and Messengers, other than what God has told us about them. I'm sure those chosen thought they were just ordinary people, humility often being one of the virtues of Prophethood. 

Quote I don't know. Why aren't we all Albert Einstein or Vincent Van Gogh, or Mozart, or Hemingway, or Michael Jordan? Why do we need teachers or coaches or trainers? Why aren't we all born with a complete education, knowing everything there is to know about everything, with the ability to perform any task, partake in any sport, create great art, and write insightful literature?

All good questions.  Why does God save His best work for only a few lucky people, and leave the rest of us to muddle along with inferior abilities and incomplete information?  The Quran says that Allah guides who He wills, and leads others astray.  It never made any sense to me.

Allah doesn't lead anyone astray. If someone has chosen that wrong path, free will, then Allah leaves them on that path. Once we have chosen the correct path, Allah shows us His guidance. 

• 14:3 (Y. Ali) Those who love the life of this world more than the Hereafter, who hinder (men) from the Path of Allah and seek therein something crooked: they are astray by a long distance.

• 14:4 (Y. Ali) We sent not an apostle except (to teach) in the language of his (own) people, in order to make (things) clear to them. Now Allah leaves straying those whom He pleases and guides whom He pleases: and He is Exalted in power, full of Wisdom.
  •  

Edited by Shasta'sAunt - 03 May 2009 at 2:32pm
    Eleanor Roosevelt
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 29>
      Share Topic