IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Comments & Complaints
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Wrong Chinese text in Avatar  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wrong Chinese text in Avatar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alfandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2005 at 1:34am

ummziba,

If your Chinese friend's name is read as * * Hui, then I am sure Hui is not her surname, but given name.  As you know, the oriental people put their surname before given name. Last time Mr. Jorge W. Bush made such a mistake when he was meeting with the former Prime Minister of Singapore Mr. Lee Kuan Yao, whose surname is 'Lee', but Mr. Bush called him Mr. Yao.  

Among the Hui Chinese community, you will find most of them has a surname of 'Ma'.   

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2005 at 4:18am

Assalamu alaikum Brother Alfandi,

Thank you for the information.  I guess I will leave my avatar, I like to think that I at least strive to be peaceful and gentle!

The lady that I knew had reversed her name when she became a Canadian citizen (some Chinese do this, I guess they get tired of people here always getting their names wrong!).  She had a lovely Chinese given name, that I can't recall, but she went by an "english" name, so she was called Karen Hui.

It is a shame when people feel they must change themselves because others are naive or ignorant.  But, I suppose constantly having to repeat and explain your name could get very tiring.  By the way, there are some people in my city with the surname Ma, Maa and Maah, though I do not know them personally.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic