IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - memorial for dead people in islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

memorial for dead people in islam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micasso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: memorial for dead people in islam
    Posted: 17 February 2009 at 11:12pm
Assalam Alaikom all,

memorials are done as an "honor" to the dead person , sometimes as a place to remember the lost people and reflect on the issue of death, however, i wonder what's the islamic perspective of memorial parks or memorial structures for the dead people  - taken the islamic  dematerialized conception of such issues like death- ..

any shed of light on this topic will be so appreciated ,
thank you
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2009 at 3:38am
Walaikum Salam Micasso,

Welcome to  discussions at Islamicity

Very late to respond you. I would like to share the little knowledge regarding the topic.

Prophet Muhammad {Sallal lahu alayhi wasallam}  said " You shud remember the reality that brings an end to all worldy joys and pleasures, namely DEATH".

Once when Prophet was asked  as who is the most sagacious  and most prudent among people, he {Peace be upon him} answered, " Those who are most aware of death and prepare themselves for it".

This shows that Islam encourages to constantly remember death.

Memorial structures of dead people - Its completely wrong in Islam. One of the reasons being it may lead to idol worship.

Allah the Almighty revealed: "They (idolaters) have said: "You shall not leave your gods nor shall you leave Wadd, nor Suwa, nor Yaghuth, nor Ya uq nor Nasr (names of the idols)." (CH 71:23 Quran).

Originally these {Wadd, Suwa Yaghuth} were the names of good people who had lived among them. After their deaths, statues of them were erected to keep their memories alive. After sometime, however, people began to worship these statues. Later generations did not even know why they had been erected; they only knew their parents had prayed to them. That is how idol worshipping developed

Secondly, Islam prohibits builting  structures or even painting and drawing any living being whose face cud easily be seen.

Now coming to memorials done in honor to the deceased---.

Aishah RA said that Prophet {Sallal lahu alayhi wa sallam} said, "do not speak ill  of the dead ; they have seen the result they forwarded before them".

Here's an other hadith  from book of Bukhari, Anas RA said that "A funeral was procession passed by and the people praised the deceased. The Prophet { sallal lahu alayhi wasallam}  exclaimed , "It is decided". Then  another funeral procession passed by and people spoke bad of him, Prophet peace be upon him remarked "It is decided".  Umar asked, "What is decided ?"  Umar asked, "What is decided ?"  The Prophet {peace be upon him } said, "The one who is praised is entitled to paradise,and the one whom you described  as bad is  entitled to Hell-fire. You are Allah's witnesses on earth".

This implicates that the dead if praised is entitled to paradise. And the first hadith encourages us to speak good of him.

Condolence meetings of 2nd day, or any other days is forbidden as such gathering may revive sorrow and adds to  the grief and burden to the bereaved family. Neither do we find such sunnah. The deceased can be benefitted by the charity we spent or other permissible acts, instead of such meetings, which would lead to other innovations in Islam, gossip,  or as said mostly would revive sorrow.

Okay then, this was the flood light i cud shed out of my knowledge Smile

Edited by seekshidayath - 27 February 2009 at 3:41am
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
|2 e e |\| u View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote |2 e e |\| u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2009 at 11:43am
Assalam-0-Alaikum....
I want to know the reality of the concept of reading and Finishing The Holy Quran By alot of different family members and other people on the death of any Person...?? As far as my Knowledge  is concerned, I know that No reward of other's deeds would be given to any other person except those good deeds done by children of departed Parents for them...
Furthermore i want to know that for how Long the Gathering of grief could be practiced after the departure and the Burrial of person??
And please let me know the reality of the concept of gathering and Quran Recitation on "Khattam" (done on 4th or 40th day after death or like that) by Relatives??
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2009 at 12:46pm
Good questions...

and welcome Micasso!

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2009 at 5:02am
Originally posted by |2 e e |\| u |2 e e |\| u wrote:

Assalam-0-Alaikum....
I want to know the reality of the concept of reading and Finishing The Holy Quran By alot of different family members and other people on the death of any Person...?? As far as my Knowledge  is concerned, I know that No reward of other's deeds would be given to any other person except those good deeds done by children of departed Parents for them...
Furthermore i want to know that for how Long the Gathering of grief could be practiced after the departure and the Burrial of person??
And please let me know the reality of the concept of gathering and Quran Recitation on "Khattam" (done on 4th or 40th day after death or like that) by Relatives??

Walaikum Salam wa Rahmatullah

Sister, any act we do shud be referred to Quran and sunnah. When we look back or make a search , we find no such act of worship that people gathered and recited Qur'an except the janazah prayers and dua. We get to see this khattam and stuff only in India and Pak.

Weeping for the dead is allowed as its tough to hold the grief. We get to read the reports that Prophet 's tears, flowed when he lost his son. But after burying the dead, its not allowed to weep.  It was reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: �The deceased is punished by the weeping of his family for him.� (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1286).

Muslim narrated in his Saheeh (927) from Ibn �Umar that Hafsah wept for �Umar, and he said, �Calm down, O my daughter! Do you not know that the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: �The deceased suffers because of his family�s weeping over him�?�

As far as my Knowledge  is concerned, I know that No reward of other's deeds would be given to any other person except those good deeds done by children of departed Parents for them...

I need to verify this. As far i know, even other people if wish to spend in charity or other acts , can benefit the dead.

Congregations of a particular day like 3rd, zyarat, chehlum, barsi {these are words used by us, is n't it Smile}, all these were not proved by sunnah. Just we need to stay away from such. 

Edited by seekshidayath - 08 March 2009 at 5:06am
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
savant View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2009 at 9:31am
Originally posted seekshidayath
[I need to verify this. As far i know, even other people if wish to spend in charity or other acts , can benefit the dead.]

Not only any can benefit dead; but also any one can benefit with any good deed to living.

However reading the Quran in gathering is not questionable; only issues is that any new doing should not considered as mandatory, otherwise up-coming generations will consider it as part of religion. Bidat starts from here.

Issue with (Souem, zyarat, chehlum, barsi) is that people now started considering it as part of reliegion; many people can't afford these but they do.

Never Give up
|2 e e |\| u View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote |2 e e |\| u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2009 at 1:12pm
Thankyou Very Much for sharing your Knowledge....

I actually read in The Holy Quran, don't remember the exact Ayaa and Sura But the explaintaion which i got after reading is that no one will be punished for the bad deeds of others,they would be punished of their own bad deeds...Similarly people would not be rewarded of other deeds....they all would be answering accordingly, of all the go0d or bad deeds done by them... That's what i understood...
i am searching for that Ayat...Would be uploading here as soon as i get it Inshallah.
And
Sahih Muslim : Book 13 Kitab Al-Wasiyya, Number 4005
Abu Huraira (Radi Allah Anhu) reported Allah's Messenger (sal-allahu-alleihi-wasallam) as saying:
"When a man dies, his acts come to an end, but three,
1. Recurring charity,
2. Or knowledge (by which people) benefit,
3. Or a pious son, who prays for him (for the deceased).

Edited by |2 e e |\| u - 11 March 2009 at 1:14pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic