IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Arranged-Marriage Series  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Arranged-Marriage Series

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arranged-Marriage Series
    Posted: 22 July 2009 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Jamal Morelli Jamal Morelli wrote:

Originally posted by Hyposonic Hyposonic wrote:

I know my opinion doesn't matter but if choice of the woman is involved, what is the purpose of arranged marriage? I don't know, I prefer a woman's choice without family or cultural involvement. I see some of that between Irish and Scots!

Isn't it incredible how we all responded to this guy with sincerity? You're not being very sincere now though are you.
Just reading my sister Hayfa's honest, thorough and considerate response to this coward makes the blood boil. You are starting to make my blood boil

How many other avatars does he have functioning right now?
What makes you think he has any? And does it affect you in any way?
Nice to see that Mel Hyposonic and his Muslim doctor life-mate visited the site (while both banned) on the same day.   Co-incidences can take place from LA to Glasgow, when you're in love.
I don't know or care what happened before. BUt neither appear to be here to defend themselves. You are just spreading more gossip and that's SO uncalled for. Just shows you are not very mature really
some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
hat2010 View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hat2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2009 at 10:53am

I know my opinion doesn't matter but if choice of the woman is involved, what is the purpose of arranged marriage? I don't know, I prefer a woman's choice without family or cultural involvement. I see some of that between Irish and Scots!

Isn't it incredible how we all responded to this guy with sincerity?
Just reading my sister Hayfa's honest, thorough and considerate response to this coward makes the blood boil.

How many other avatars does he have functioning right now?

Nice to see that Mel Hyposonic and his Muslim doctor life-mate visited the site (while both banned) on the same day.   Co-incidences can take place from LA to Glasgow, when you're in love.
Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2009 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Jamal Morelli Jamal Morelli wrote:

I've never met anyone who had their marriages arranged here in Morocco, though I've been asking about.

For fun, I'd like to arrange marriages between IC avatars, allowing for huge cultural diversity; a Scottish secularist and a Muslim black cop/neuroscientist from LA, for example.    We could point out their similarities of course. Love of Star Wars avatars, cheap philosophy, transvestism. And their difference in cultures could be a source of excitement for each other, the cop could share his/her experiences as a brownshirt in the LAPD and the Scot could share everything learned from watching "Braveheart"

I wonder what the baby would be like...?   A proud, secular Hindu from...?

LOL

�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
hat2010 View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hat2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 10:24am
I've never met anyone who had their marriages arranged here in Morocco, though I've been asking about.

For fun, I'd like to arrange marriages between IC avatars, allowing for huge cultural diversity; a Scottish secularist and a Muslim black cop/neuroscientist from LA, for example.    We could point out their similarities of course. Love of Star Wars avatars, cheap philosophy, transvestism. And their difference in cultures could be a source of excitement for each other, the cop could share his/her experiences as a brownshirt in the LAPD and the Scot could share everything learned from watching "Braveheart"

I wonder what the baby would be like...?   A proud, secular Hindu from...?

Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2009 at 4:10am
Originally posted by Saladin Saladin wrote:

........OMG! You take Britney for something like a copyright representative of non muslim culture??? LOL...LOL

Tongue
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Saladin View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2009 at 1:28am

You said:

"Unarranged marriages are like what Britney and Jason did.....Fiascos!"

Sure looks like a generalization to me. You didn�t say something to the like of �I disagree with unarranged marriages because it leaves a window of careless behavior such as Britney and Jason� you seem to have made a generalization. So its not about being hung up on me focusing on Britney, its about making precise statements and not being misleading or stereotyping things that are not Muslim or not your culture. Can anyone explain to me if your comment in blue is true then what about the marriages in many many non-muslim countries where couples stay married after dating for so many years or were you referring strictly to Americans?

Eh! You didnt read the preceding and following sentences?

All serious marriages have to be "arranged" in some way. Unarranged marriages are like what Britney and Jason did.....Fiascos!

The concern should be how properly a marriage is arranged.

Which part of this of this looks like stereotyping? What reference do you see here pointing to a culture, religion or community? ........OMG! You take Britney for something like a copyright representative of non muslim culture??? LOL...LOL

'Trust everyone but not the devil in them'
Saladin View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2009 at 1:08am

Saladin you said:

(is this dependent upon cultural interpretation of hijab?).

If you recall I mentioned niqab several times in my response. Unless there is no distinction between hijab and niqab then this would make it all the more confusing to me when explaining my points in my posts and reading them. As far as cultural interpretation I'm not sure I understand what you mean here.

(is this dependent upon cultural interpretation of hijab?). These are your own words. Niqab or Hijab, the issue was about face covering, whats confusing about that?

"I mentioned the Taliban coz despite being ultra conservative even they werent known to practise it the way you put it, ie. not showing the face of the woman to the prospective male (the man intending to marry her)."

Hmmmm. Consequently I have to ask, how do you know they wouldn�t keep the woman�s face hidden under their rule? Were you there in Afghanistan pre-U.S. invasion to see this or is this an assumption?

Yeah assumption based on the fact that the Taliban were predominantly Deobandis. I've got friends who follow that school and all of them saw the face of their spouse before marriage. Prove if I was wrong. Now tell me where in the world, face of a woman aint shown to her prospective spouse. Have you travelled all throughout the world and seen everything to support your assertions.

'Trust everyone but not the devil in them'
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2009 at 12:00pm
And I saw this in Judge Judy this case of two women.. and one was suing ther over some matter.. and one of the women was dating a convicted sex offender.. can you imagine?

yes 'free choice' is a good thing but clearly not in all cases..
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic