IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Should we call a Kufr a Kufr?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should we call a Kufr a Kufr?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akhe Abdullah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should we call a Kufr a Kufr?
    Posted: 31 January 2009 at 7:28am
As Salaamu Alaikum Brothers and Sisters and other Members of this Forum.I just want to clarify my use of the word Kufr.It is indeed an insult. When I use it to decribe the unbelievers I mean those who Disbelief,to cover up the truth to reject Allah and refuse to believe that Muhammad(PBUH) is His Messenger.Now it is coming close to acting in bad character just as Kufrs act I guess so, if you chose to see it that way.I apoligise if I have hurt anyones feelings.Example im am a son of a Kufr as a matter of fact all my relatives would be lable as such.Not right!even though it is true by defenition.I can only make Dua for her and for them.I dont say Salams Kufr Mom ect so I try not to use the word directly at someone.(Inshallah) Wa Alaikum As Salam Wa Ramatullah
TRANSKRAFT View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRANSKRAFT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2009 at 7:42am

Kuffar and Kaafir: Should we be using these terms&?

By Naseema Mall

There is a tendency among many Muslims to simply refer to any non-Muslim as a kafir. Unfortunately, some Muslims even refer to other Muslims as kafir. I�ve always been perturbed by the flagrant use of this term, as it seems so harsh, and have often wondered if it is justified or beneficial in any way to use it with reference to all non-Muslims.

Islam teaches us to foster good relations with all people.

Allah says in the Qur�an, [Serve Allah, and join not any partners with Him; and do good to parents, kinsfolk, orphans, those in need, neighbors who are near neighbors who are strangers, the companion by your side, the way-farer (you meet) and those under your authority; indeed Allah loves not the arrogant, the vainglorious] (An-Nisa� 4: 36).

Maintaining ties with family members, relatives, neighbours, communities and societies is emphasized a great deal in Islamic teachings. It is indeed difficult to maintain and strengthen these ties if we busy ourselves labeling others. Somehow ingrained in the human psyche is the belief that one human being is possibly better than another. After all, the countless wars throughout history bear testimony to this absurd notion. Of course wars take place for a number of reasons, but the desire of a nation to destroy another is to assert one�s �superior� standing. The assumption that one is supposedly better than another also affects individuals. We are not always conscious of our thoughts, but it does happen that sometimes we think of ourselves as being a better Muslim than another person; or when we see certain actions acceptable to non-Muslims, we think that we are better than them. But this way of thinking can be dangerous, as it may result in one assuming a higher position of piety. In fact it is only Allah who knows who is sincere in piety; who is considered a Muslim in His sight.

Tawheed

Islam was established with the creation of the first man, Prophet Adam (peace be upon him). His main task, and the task of the all of the Prophets and Messengers that followed, was to firmly instill in the minds and the hearts of the people the concept of tawheed, that Allah, the Almighty is one and only one, and that He alone has power over all things and He only deserves to be worshipped. When we talk about worshipping Allah alone, there seems to be much misunderstanding. Worship is not only about the rituals of salaah, fasting, zakaah and hajj. Worshipping Allah is holistic and inclusive, meaning that every aspect of our lives and our actions are to please Allah. You cannot for instance perform your salaah regularly, but then oppress your servant or your employee; you cannot be paying zakaah, and then defraud people in your business dealings. Simply announcing our belief is not sufficient; we have to live the spirit of Islam as well.

[Say (O Muhammad) my prayer, my sacrifice, my life and my death belong to Allah; He has no partner and I am ordered to be among those who submit (Muslims).] (An�am 6:162-163)

That Allah is the only power did not go down well with many rulers, as we know from the stories of Nimrod and Pharoah, among many others. Nimrod had the audacity to say that he gives life and death, and Pharoah�s arrogance led to his drowning, and we have been informed in the Qur�an that for him is the most severe punishment.

[So We seized him and his hosts, and We flung them into the sea: now behold what was the End of those who did wrong! And We made them (but) leaders inviting to the Fire; and on the Day of Judgment no help shall they find.] (Al Qasas 28: 40-41)

Every Prophet conveyed the message of tawheed to his people, and warned that the denial of the oneness of Allah would lead to dire consequences. Some heeded the call and others did not. Islam teaches us that for all our actions, good and bad, there are consequences. We may meet those consequences in this life or in the hereafter. This is something that a Muslim must contemplate seriously. How conscious are we really of our daily actions? How sure are we that even though we are Muslim our actions could actually constitute kufr? No one should ever feel self righteous. No one has a one way ticket to Paradise.

Naturally Allah knew who He was going to appoint as Prophets and Messengers. We also know that they were mere human beings like us. All the Prophets endured trials and tribulations, more so after Prophethood was revealed to them. But we also know from the Qur�an that the Prophets often contemplated about life and about Allah. We know that Prophet Ibrahim (peace be upon him) wondered if the stars or the moon or the sun were his Lord. It is a natural instinct in mankind to seek to know the creator, so we all have an inbuilt sense of tawheed.

Our beloved Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) often retreated to the cave of Hira to contemplate, until the first revelation came to him.

In His infinite wisdom, Allah knew that he had already chosen these people to convey His message. He did not hold it against them when they contemplated and felt unsure. His mercy was still bestowed on them.

From the life of Caliph �Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) we know that before he accepted Islam he used to create idols from dates, and thereafter eat them. We know that he hated Muslims and hit his sister when he found out that she had accepted Islam. Yet Allah in his infinite wisdom knew that eventually �Umar would change his ways and enter into Islam. When he accepted Islam he was known to be a strong and kind Muslim and a just ruler.

Kufr

It is difficult for Muslims to believe that a Muslim can actually indulge in kufr. How is this possible? One may wonder. According to Imam Nawawi kufr �occurs sometimes by a statement which constitutes kufr and sometimes by an act. And the actions which necessitate kufr (that expel from the religion) are those which are performed deliberately (The Book of Apostasy). Some of the acts that could render a Muslim a disbeliever are (and these are conditioned on the person being aware of the reality of their action):

1.      To call on saints or Prophets for help or to act as intercessors.

[And invoke not besides All�h, any that will neither profit you, nor hurt you, but if (in case) you did so, you shall certainly be one of the Z�lim�n (polytheists and wrong-doers)] [10:106]

Referring to any authority other than Islam for judgment or being dissatisfied with the decision of Islam.

[But no, by your Lord, they can have no Faith, until they make you (O Muhammad SAW) judge in all disputes between them, and find in themselves no resistance against your decisions, and accept (them) with full submission.] [4:65]

Slaughtering in the name of a Prophet or a pious man (saint).

[Therefore turn in prayer to your Lord and sacrifice (to Him only).] [108:2]

Circumambulation of graves as an act of worship. It is to be performed for Allah alone in the Holy Ka'bah.

[Then let them complete the prescribed duties (Man�sik of Hajj) for them, and perform their vows, and circumambulate the Ancient House (the Ka'bah at Makkah).] [22:29]

Depending on or putting trust in other than Allah. How many of us do this at times? 

[And M�sa (Moses) said: "O my people! If you have believed in All�h, then put your trust in Him if you are Muslims (those who submit to All�h's Will).] [10:84]

These are just some acts that could turn a Muslim into a disbeliever. However, not everyone who commits an act of kufr is considered a kafir, and these are the excuses:

1.  Someone lives in a place where there is no scholar who can establish the evidence, remove misconceptions and offer guidance.

2. Someone who is a new Muslim. That person is excused until he knows about the issues involved.

3. If there are misconceptions related to the situation, that person is excused until these are removed.

4. The un-agreed upon acts of which there are many.

Kufr and declaring someone a kafir are serious issues and are not to be uttered lightly. As individuals let us focus on strengthening our acts of faith and drawing nearer to Allah as Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) taught us. And remember if a person claims someone to be a kaffir and it turns out to be untrue, those words fall back on the one who said them at first. Definitely something to think about.

Courtesy of:
www.almuttaqoon.com

Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2009 at 10:43am

Akhe Abdullah, I guess my question for you is why worry about the label? I guess I am perpelexed by what difference does it make? Our goal should be to demonstrate the true qualities of what a Muslim should be. We should emulate the Prophet to the best of our abilities.

Its like focusing on this point does exactly what? What may I ask... and assuming you are a revert.. coulnt your blessings. Focus on being humble and grateful.

And I don't know what your mother believes or does not believe. The point is she is still your mother and your obligation is to show her kindness, respect and the mercy you would give to any human being up to the moment they die. YOU will be judged on how you treat her. Period. Whether she is nonMuslim or is a Muslim. and in fact, I would argue that if you treat her poorly and give HER a bad impression of what a true, devout Muslim should be then you could be held accountable for that.

No matter the human being we are interacting with, we will be held accountable for our deeds.

And in fact those of us her were not Muslim at one point, most of us encountered very kind Muslims. It had a powerful influence as role models that embodies the spirit and values of Islam.  I even took a trip to Pakistan by myself because the people were so kind and helpful.  

Imagine if YOUR good deeds influence a nonMuslim to look at Islam. What rewards will be given to you!
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
hat2010 View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hat2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2009 at 4:57pm
I suppose this conversation has to keep coming up, if only to definitely have arrived at some clear end to it - however, this subject has been "Kaffed" up over and over from time to time, eventually inviting it's own shutting down.

One - Duende, Serv, Danny, others: I am in awe of you all and am proud to share this little corner of cyberspace with you. I want to be on record of being disgusted with anything that suggests antipathy towards non-muslims.   

Two: Since this is a somewhat free zone for ideas, I'd like to say that brothers and sisters like Akhe Abdullah, JihadX and many before should be kept in perspective and clearly understood as....
a) Not any kind of religious authority
b) Not representative of anyone but themselves
c) Not holding opinions that are universally agreed upon within the Umma, Madhabs, etc.

Three: For the Trolls:
Your best arguments are easily found in the half-educated, intolerant members of our communities - but you are only fooling yourselves if you decide they speak for Muslims everywhere.

Lastly: Considering so many non-muslims here (and elsewhere) devotion the downtrodden, the widowed, the poor - all of whom to whose caring for are what the Prophet endlessly spoke of as the real way out of the Dunya and Hellfire - I find these Kafir conversations tasteless, offensive, blinding.

seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2009 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Akhe Abdullah Akhe Abdullah wrote:

As Salaamu Alaikum Brothers and Sisters and other Members of this Forum.I just want to clarify my use of the word Kufr.It is indeed an insult. When I use it to decribe the unbelievers I mean those who Disbelief,to cover up the truth to reject Allah and refuse to believe that Muhammad(PBUH) is His Messenger.Now it is coming close to acting in bad character just as Kufrs act I guess so, if you chose to see it that way.I apoligise if I have hurt anyones feelings.Example im am a son of a Kufr as a matter of fact all my relatives would be lable as such.Not right!even though it is true by defenition.I can only make Dua for her and for them.I dont say Salams Kufr Mom ect so I try not to use the word directly at someone.(Inshallah) Wa Alaikum As Salam Wa Ramatullah

Wa'laikum salam wa Rahmatullah,

Where have been akhe since few days ?

Anyways, yes i do agree that to call a person directly as "O, Kafir, {disbeliever}" is wrong. For only Allah swt knows ones state of heart. But remember, Allah swt, did address the disbelievers, as " Ya ayyuhal kafiroon - O you who disbelieve". Just  as believers are addressed, "O you who believe ". We also get to learn from Qur'an, Allah addressing the whole humanity. Likewise, even hypocrites are being addressed. This way, different  characteristics of them  are defined, so that we identify ourselves and correct ourselves before we meet Him. Even we muslims need to check ourselves, if we commit acts of kufr.

If you find any person, addressing anyone particularly, as "kafir", ask him to prove you that its permissible in Islam. He shall neither be able  to show you a single verse or a hadith, neither a fatwa {ruling} of any scholar. I wish you to handle him softly, so that he changes his attitude. After all he is your brother in Islam. If he still does n't listen to you, just be quiet, because, you finished your job for him and Allah swt shall not question you,

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Honzo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2009 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Akhe Abdullah Akhe Abdullah wrote:

w/salam brother,

The word �kafir� (and variations of it) is mentioned in the Qur�an in five different senses:

1. Kufr al-tawheed: to reject the belief in the Oneness of God. The Qur�an says what means:

*{As to those who reject faith (kafaru), it is the same to them whether you warn them or do not warn them; they will not believe }* (Al-Baqarah 2:6)

2. Kufr al-ni`mah: to lack gratefulness to God or to people. The Qur�an says what means:

*{Therefore remember Me, I will remember you, and be thankful to Me, and do not be ungrateful to Me (la takfurun)}* (Al-Baqarah 2:152)

*{[Pharaoh] said [to Moses]: � And you did [that] deed of yours which you did, and you are one of the ungrateful (kafireen)}* (Ash-Shu`araa� 26:18-19)

3. Kufr at-tabarri: to disown/clear oneself from. The Qur�an says what means:

*{Indeed, there is for you a good example in Ibrahim and those with him when they said to their people: �Surely we are clear of you (kafarna bekom).�}* (Al-Mumtahanah 60:4)

4. Kufr al-juhud: to deny. The Qur�an says what means:

*{When there comes to them that which they [should] have recognized, they deny (kafaru) it.}* (Al-Baqarah 2:89)

5. Kufr at-taghtiyah: to hide/bury something, like planting a seed in the ground. The Qur�an says what means:

*{The likeness of vegetation after rain, whereof the growth is pleasing to the husbandmen/tillers (kuffar.}* (Al-Hadid 57:20)

Exegesis (tafseer) scholars decide as to which meaning of the word �kufr/kafir� is meant in a specific verse based on the context. Therefore, not every use of the root �ka fa ra� means the rejection of faith. For example, when the Prophet (peace be upon him) warned some of his companions from becoming �kuffar� after his death, he did not mean that they would become disbelievers but rather that they would become ungrateful to Allah, for the blessing of unity, when they fight each other after his death.

Regarding whether to call non-Muslims �kuffar� or not, the answer is that we should call people the names that the Qur�an gave them. In the Qur�an, you will not find a single �O disbelievers� (�Ya Kuffar�, �Ya ayuhalathina kafaru�, or �Ya ayuhal-kafirun�) other than in the following two places:

1. In Hellfire, we seek refuge in Allah from it. The Qur�an says what means:

*{[Then it will be said]: �O ye who disbelieve (Ya ayuhalathina kafaru)! Make no excuses for yourselves this day.}* (At-Tahrim 66:7)

So, it is something that is said to them by Allah Almighty or by the angels, not by us.

2. In Surat Al-Kafirun (109) that you mentioned in your question. It says what means:

*{Say [O Muhammad]: �O ye that reject faith (al-Kafirun)! I worship not that which ye worship, Nor will ye worship that which I worship.�}*

But this surah is addressing Prophet Muhammad and therefore must be understood in its historical context. Allah is asking Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) to address a group of leaders from Makkah who offered him the following deal: That they all �including Muhammad� worship God for one year and then they all worship the idols for the next year, and so on. That is why Allah asked him to address them in this term �rejecters of faith� and to refuse to accept this kind of deal.

In the rest of the Qur�an, however, the Qur�anic style followed two principals:

1. To label certain sayings or actions to be sayings or actions of kufr (disbelief or rejection of faith), without labeling any specific group of people with that name and calling them with it. For example, the Qur�an says what means:

*{Certainly they disbelieve who say: Surely God is the third [person] of the three. And there is no god but One God, and if they desist not from what they say, a painful chastisement shall befall those among them who disbelieve [reject]. Will they not then turn to Allah and ask His forgiveness? And Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. The Messiah, son of Mary is but a messenger; messengers before him have indeed passed away; and his mother was a truthful woman.}* (Al-Ma�idah 5:73-75)

2. To distinguish clearly between idol-worshippers, on one hand, and believers in God and a Script that went through a phase of corruption, on the other hand. Allah called the later group only by the name �People of the Book.� For example, the Qur�an says what means:

*{Quite a number of the People of the Book wish they could turn you [people] back to infidelity after ye have believed, from selfish envy, after the truth hath become manifest unto them. But, forgive and overlook, till Allah accomplish His purpose; for Allah Hath power over all things.}* (Al-Baqarah 2:109)

*{It is He Who got out the Unbelievers among the People of the Book from their homes at the first gathering [of the forces]. Little did ye think that they would get out: And they thought that their fortresses would defend them from Allah! But the [wrath of] Allah came to them from quarters from which they little expected [it], and cast terror into their hearts, so that they destroyed their dwellings by their own hands and the hands of the Believers, take warning, then, O ye with eyes [to see]!}* (Al-Hashr 59:2)

In today�s world, we should use the same term �People of the Book� with Christians and Jews, or call them Christians and Jews, if they wish to be called so, or simply call them �non-Muslims�.

As for dealing with non-Muslims, the general rule is mentioned in the verse that says what means:

*{Allah does not forbid you respecting those who have not made war against you on account of [your] religion, and have not driven you forth from your homes, that you show them kindness (birr) and deal with them justly; surely Allah loves the doers of justice. Allah only forbids you respecting those who made war upon you on account of [your] religion, and drove you forth from your homes and backed up [others] in your expulsion, that you make friends with them, and whoever makes friends with them, these are the unjust.}* (Al-Mumtahanah 60:8-9)

And notice that the word �birr� (translated as kindness) that Allah used in this context is the same word that is used for the type of kindness that a Muslim should show his/her parents as in birr al-walidain )kindness to parents)!!

Finally, it is fair enough before labeling any person as a �rejecter of faith� to make sure that he/she is clearly aware of that faith and what it entails. In my view, most people in today�s world did not reject the message because simply they are not aware of what Islam is. This is largely due to the biased international media and to Muslims themselves falling short to present their religion properly to the world. These uninformed people, again in my view, could only fall under the verse that says what means:

*{No laden soul can bear another's load, We never punish until we have sent a messenger.}* (Al-Israa� 17:15)

And Allah knows best.

Taken from reading Islam

Originally posted by TRANSKRAFT  TRANSKRAFT  wrote:

]Kuffar and Kaafir: Should we be using these terms&?

The article posted by brother is written by Abdul wahab najdi, founder of wahabi movement and most of the thing mentioned in tht article does not constitute kufr.

pls refer,

Tawassul: Supplicating Allah through an Intermediary

Edited by Honzo - 31 January 2009 at 9:20pm
The femininity of the crescent, the masculinity of the cross. (Max Ernst, Men shall know nothing of this.)
Hunter View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2009 at 1:37am
Assalamu Alaikum   First, I have to agree with the consensus and state that I've already seen far too much intolerance, hatred, labeling and name calling in here. I've been posting less and less lately as it seems there are fewer constructive and safe threads to participate in. I can't help but wonder how someone either new-to or curious about Islam might percieve this. I'm a new Muslim myself, and in fact the only exposure to other Muslims has been here at IC. I've felt saddened to see so little evidence of the beautiful, tolerant and just values I expected to find after reading the Quran. I almost certainly would have quit the forum, and may even have abandoned my persuit of Islam itself were it not for a small handfull of people I encountered here who showed me through their paitience, kind words and thoughtful advice that my efforts to learn Islam weren't in vane. Akhe is one of those people. Hayfa said: Our goal should be to demonstrate the true qualities of what a Muslim should be...Imagine if YOUR good deeds influence a nonMuslim to look at Islam. I'm happy to report that Akhe's good deeds have influenced me to continue to persue Islam. He's answered endless questions, encouraged me when I've felt frustrated, and yes, reminded me to treat others who don't believe as I do with paitience and kindness. Seekshidayath is another such person who's also invested much time, thought and paitience. You wouldn't have seen either of these two correct me publicly-- they wouldn't embarrass me like that, they do it privately. I guess the point I'm taking a long time to make here is that while Akhe may be a little rough around the edges, and by his own admission, less than perfect, he's an example of everything a good Muslim should be, and if there is indeed a reward for guiding a person into Islam, he'll be enjoying that. Respectfully-- Hunter 
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything"-- DrDre
Akhe Abdullah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akhe Abdullah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2009 at 2:46am
Originally posted by TRANSKRAFT TRANSKRAFT wrote:

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU">Kuffar and Kaafir: Should we be using these terms&?<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU">By Naseema Mall<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU"><o:p>�</o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU">There is a tendency among many Muslims to simply refer to any non-Muslim as a kafir. Unfortunately, some Muslims even refer to other Muslims as kafir. I�ve always been perturbed by the flagrant use of this term, as it seems so harsh, and have often wondered if it is justified or beneficial in any way to use it with reference to all non-Muslims.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU">�Islam teaches us to foster good relations with all people. <o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU">�Allah says in the Qur�an, [Serve Allah, and join not any partners with Him; and do good to parents, kinsfolk, orphans, those in need, neighbors who are near neighbors who are strangers, the companion by your side, the way-farer (you meet) and those under your authority; indeed Allah loves not the arrogant, the vainglorious] (An-Nisa� 4: 36).<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU">�Maintaining ties with family members, relatives, neighbours, communities and societies is emphasized a great deal in Islamic teachings. It is indeed difficult to maintain and strengthen these ties if we busy ourselves labeling others. Somehow ingrained in the human psyche is the belief that one human being is possibly better than another. After all, the countless wars throughout history bear testimony to this absurd notion. Of course wars take place for a number of reasons, but the desire of a nation to destroy another is to assert one�s �superior� standing. The assumption that one is supposedly better than another also affects individuals. We are not always conscious of our thoughts, but it does happen that sometimes we think of ourselves as being a better Muslim than another person; or when we see certain actions acceptable to non-Muslims, we think that we are better than them. But this way of thinking can be dangerous, as it may result in one assuming a higher position of piety. In fact it is only Allah who knows who is sincere in piety; who is considered a Muslim in His sight. <o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU">�<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU; mso-font-kerning: 18.0pt">Tawheed<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU">Islam was established with the creation of the first man, Prophet Adam (peace be upon him). His main task, and the task of the all of the Prophets and Messengers that followed, was to firmly instill in the minds and the hearts of the people the concept of tawheed, that Allah, the Almighty is one and only one, and that He alone has power over all things and He only deserves to be worshipped. When we talk about worshipping Allah alone, there seems to be much misunderstanding. Worship is not only about the rituals of salaah, fasting, zakaah and hajj. Worshipping Allah is holistic and inclusive, meaning that every aspect of our lives and our actions are to please Allah. You cannot for instance perform your salaah regularly, but then oppress your servant or your employee; you cannot be paying zakaah, and then defraud people in your business dealings. Simply announcing our belief is not sufficient; we have to live the spirit of Islam as well.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU">�[Say (O Muhammad) my prayer, my sacrifice, my life and my death belong to Allah; He has no partner and I am ordered to be among those who submit (Muslims).] (An�am 6:162-163) <o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU">�That Allah is the only power did not go down well with many rulers, as we know from the stories of Nimrod and Pharoah, among many others. Nimrod had the audacity to say that he gives life and death, and Pharoah�s arrogance led to his drowning, and we have been informed in the Qur�an that for him is the most severe punishment.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU">�[So We seized him and his hosts, and We flung them into the sea: now behold what was the End of those who did wrong! And We made them (but) leaders inviting to the Fire; and on the Day of Judgment no help shall they find.] (Al Qasas 28: 40-41)�<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU; mso-font-kerning: 18.0pt">Every Prophet conveyed the message of tawheed to his people, and warned that the denial of the oneness of Allah would lead to dire consequences. Some heeded the call and others did not. Islam teaches us that for all our actions, good and bad, there are consequences. We may meet those consequences in this life or in the hereafter. This is something that a Muslim must contemplate seriously. How conscious are we really of our daily actions? How sure are we that even though we are Muslim our actions could actually constitute kufr? No one should ever feel self righteous. No one has a one way ticket to Paradise.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU">�Naturally Allah knew who He was going to appoint as Prophets and Messengers. We also know that they were mere human beings like us. All the Prophets endured trials and tribulations, more so after Prophethood was revealed to them. But we also know from the Qur�an that the Prophets often contemplated about life and about Allah. We know that Prophet Ibrahim (peace be upon him) wondered if the stars or the moon or the sun were his Lord. It is a natural instinct in mankind to seek to know the creator, so we all have an inbuilt sense of tawheed.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU">�Our beloved Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) often retreated to the cave of Hira to contemplate, until the first revelation came to him. <o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU">�In His infinite wisdom, Allah knew that he had already chosen these people to convey His message. He did not hold it against them when they contemplated and felt unsure. His mercy was still bestowed on them. <o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU">�From the life of Caliph �Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) we know that before he accepted Islam he used to create idols from dates, and thereafter eat them. We know that he hated Muslims and hit his sister when he found out that she had accepted Islam. Yet Allah in his infinite wisdom knew that eventually �Umar would change his ways and enter into Islam. When he accepted Islam he was known to be a strong and kind Muslim and a just ruler. <o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU">�<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU">Kufr<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU">It is difficult for Muslims to believe that a Muslim can actually indulge in kufr. How is this possible? One may wonder. According to Imam Nawawi kufr �occurs sometimes by a statement which constitutes kufr and sometimes by an act. And the actions which necessitate kufr (that expel from the religion) are those which are performed deliberately (The Book of Apostasy). Some of the acts that could render a Muslim a disbeliever are (and these are conditioned on the person being aware of the reality of their action): <o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU">1.      To call on saints or Prophets for help or to act as intercessors. <o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU">�[And invoke not besides All�h, any that will neither profit you, nor hurt you, but if (in case) you did so, you shall certainly be one of the Z�lim�n (polytheists and wrong-doers)] <SPAN style="COLOR: gray">[10:106]</SPAN>�<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU">Referring to any authority other than Islam for judgment or being dissatisfied with the decision of Islam.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU">[But no, by your Lord, they can have no Faith, until they make you (O Muhammad SAW) judge in all disputes between them, and find in themselves no resistance against your decisions, and accept (them) with full submission.] <SPAN style="COLOR: gray">[4:65]�</SPAN><o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU">Slaughtering in the name of a Prophet or a pious man (saint).<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU">�[Therefore turn in prayer to your Lord and sacrifice (to Him only).] <SPAN style="COLOR: gray">[108:2]�</SPAN><o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU">Circumambulation of graves as an act of worship. It is to be performed for Allah alone in the Holy Ka'bah.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU">�[Then let them complete the prescribed duties (Man�sik of Hajj) for them, and perform their vows, and circumambulate the Ancient House (the Ka'bah at Makkah).] <SPAN style="COLOR: gray">[22:29]�</SPAN><o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU">Depending on or putting trust in other than Allah. How many of us do this at times?�<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU">[And M�sa (Moses) said: "O my people! If you have believed in All�h, then put your trust in Him if you are Muslims (those who submit to All�h's Will).] <SPAN style="COLOR: gray">[10:84]</SPAN><o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: gray; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU">�</SPAN><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU">These are just some acts that could turn a Muslim into a disbeliever. However, not everyone who commits an act of kufr is considered a kafir, and these are the excuses:<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: gray; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU">�</SPAN><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU"><o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial">1.��Someone lives in a place where there is no scholar who can establish the evidence, remove misconceptions and offer guidance.2. Someone who is a new Muslim. That person is excused until he knows about the issues involved.3. If there are misconceptions related to the situation, that person is excused until these are removed.4. The un-agreed upon acts of which there are many.</SPAN><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU"><o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU">�Kufr and declaring someone a kafir are serious issues and are not to be uttered lightly. As individuals let us focus on strengthening our acts of faith and drawing nearer to Allah as Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) taught us. And remember if a person claims someone to be a kaffir and it turns out to be untrue, those words fall back on the one who said them at first. Definitely something to think about. <o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =MsonoSpacing style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: RU">Courtesy of:<SPAN style="COLOR: #0066cc">www.almuttaqoon.com</SPAN><o:p></o:p></SPAN>

As Salaamu Alaikum TRANSRAFT.Jazakallah Kheiran for the reply. Mashallah"

Edited by Akhe Abdullah - 01 February 2009 at 3:00am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic