IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - unintentional 3 talaqs  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

unintentional 3 talaqs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamsister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: unintentional 3 talaqs
    Posted: 29 January 2009 at 8:07pm
salamu alaikum

Im in desperate seek for answers
after personal problems between my Father and mother
he yesterday announced three talaqs to my mother in one breath after she has pressured him to do so , she was not at the right state of mind when she asked him and neither was my father..Now he regrets it immensly because he said it un intentionally. Now how can we deal with this situation when it comes to re-marrying?
since he said 3 talaqs in a bad state of mind.could it be considered as one talaq? or  does halala have to be pursued even if he truly didnt mean 3 talaqs..

an urgent reply is needed for iam devestated as well as the rest of my family...

-sister in islam

seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2009 at 8:01am
As Salamu Alaikum

We are very sorry for being late to respond you. May Allah swt help you and ease your tensions

This question needs answers from scholar. Kindly discuss this with an imam/sheikh. They shall give the ruling.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2009 at 11:50am
Salaams,

Yes I agree you need to talk to a scholar of some sort.

Welcome to the forum. My Duas for your family

Hayfa
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Saladin View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2009 at 6:08am

Triple Talaq: Bad in Law and Theology

The concept of Triple Talaq is alien to Islam as it goes against the very spirit of the procedure of divorce laid down in the Quran.

By A. Faizur Rahman

When the executive committee of the All India Muslim Personal Law Board met in Kanpur on July 4, it was widely expected that triple talaq would be proclaimed un-Islamic and its abolition recommended. It was not to be. In a classic exhibition of equivocation, it was declared after the meeting that �law alone cannot ensure reforms� and that the Board would try to create awareness in the community on the issue of divorce and persuade the Muslims to abide by the Shariah.

It is surprising that the Board could issue such an evasive statement when it was clear that what was being debated was not the religious education of Muslims, but a matter of law. The question before it was whether triple talaq as practised in India today was in accordance with the teachings of the Quran and the authentic traditions of the Prophet (Pbuh).

The truth is that triple talaq in its present form is totally anti-thetical to the spirit of the Quran. Interestingly, even the hardcore Hanafis among the Muslim clergy who support triple talaq consider it a great sin, but legally valid. The question is, how can a great sin be legally valid? Nevertheless, a careful study of the Quran will show that divorce in Islam is allowed only as a last resort and under exceptional circumstances when all means to effect reconciliation have been exhausted.

As a first step, when there is a marital discord, the Quran advises the parties saying, �If you fear a breach between the two, appoint arbiters, one from his family and the other from her�s. If they both desire agreement, God will cause their reconciliation� (4:35). If both parties are unable to resolve their differences even after the intervention of the arbiters, a revocable divorce (talaq-e-raj�i) is allowed to be pronounced on the condition that at the time of its pronouncement the wife should not be menstruating and the husband should not have had any sexual relations with her.

A Period of waiting The Quran further stipulates that the revocable divorce must be followed by a period of waiting called the iddah, and not more that two divorces can be pronounced within this period, the duration of which is three menstrual courses for normal women (2: 228, 229). For women who have passed the age of menstruation, the period of waiting is three months, and in the case of pregnant women, it is till the termination of the pregnancy (65:4). If the parties are unable to re-unite during the period of iddah, the final irrevocable divorce (talaq-e-baain) can be pronounced, but only after the expiry of the period of waiting.

Once the irrevocable divorce has been invoked, the marital bond is severed and the parties cease to be of any relation to each other. However, the Quran encourages and allows the husband and wife to re-marry even after the period of iddah has lapsed, provided the final irrevocable divorce has not been pronounced. It says, �When you divorce women, and they fulfil their term (iddah), do not prevent them from marrying their husbands if they mutually agree on equitable terms.� (2:232).

Thus, a Muslim husband can divorce his wife once or twice during the period of Iddah and revoke the same within that period to resume conjugal relations without having to undergo the procedure of re-marriage. After the expiry of the Iddah, he can either irrevocably divorce her or re-contract the marriage by mutual consent.

Therefore, it is clear that the concept of triple talaq is alien to Islam as it goes against the very spirit of the procedure of divorce laid down in the Quran, which is to give the parties maximum time and opportunity for reconciliation. Even the Prophet, (Pbuh), when he was informed about a man who gave three divorces at a time was so enraged that he said, �Are you playing with the Book of Allah who is Great and Glorious while I am still amongst you�? (Mishkat-ul-Masabih).

Furthermore, in the absence of any initiative from Muslim theologians to abolish it, courts in India are forced to uphold the validity of triple talaq on the principle of stare decisis declaring the practice to be �good in law though bad in theology.� The precedent cited is the Privy Council Judgment in the case of Aga Mohammad Jaffer vs. Koolsom Bee bee [(1897) 25 Cal.9,18,24 IA. 196,204] wherein it was held that it would be wrong for the courts to put their own construction on the Quran in opposition to the express ruling of commentators of �such antiquity and high authority.�

Therefore, it becomes all the more expedient for the Muslim Personal Law Board to call for the enactment of a law invalidating the practice of triple talaq, lest it be felt that the Board�s in-action and silence on the issue tantamounts to supporting the perpetuation of an un-Islamic practice which has ruined the life and career of many a Muslim woman.

Halala- A Major Sin

Marrying a divorced women in order to make her lawful for her first husband!

By M. Hanif Lakdawala

Allah Most High says:

Divorce is [to be pronounced] twice, and then [a women] is to be retained in honour or released in kindness. (Al-Baqarah 2:229)

And if he divorces her again [the third time], she is not lawful to him thereafter until she has married another husband. Then, if he [the other husband] divorces her, it is no sin for the two of them to return to each other if they suppose that they are able to observe Allah�s limits; He makes them plain for people who know.
(Al-Baqarah 2:230)

We see that a man can return to his former wife � that is, he can remarry her � after two divorces but not after three divorces, unless she has meanwhile married to another man and has subsequently been divorced by him.

Sometimes, a remorseful husband, after divorcing his wife three times, tries to arrange a marriage between his divorced wife and another man on the condition that the second husband will divorce her within a few days, preferably the very next day. He may even offer some money to the second husband for this favour. The man who is willing to do this is called a �Muhallil� that is, one who makes something Halal or permissible; the first husband is called the �Muhallal-lahu� � the one for whom it is made Halal; and the procedure is called �Tahlil� � to make something Halal. The Prophet (Pbuh) compared the Muhallil to a hired billy goat).

Abdullah bin Shareek Ameri reported that Ibn Umar was asked for a ruling on the following situation: A man who was married to his cousin divorced her irrevocably (i.e., for the third time), but was then sorry for it and wanted to remarry her. Another man had come forward to do Tahlil for him. Ibn �Umar then replied: �Both will be adulterers, even if they live together for 20 years, as long as he married her for the sake of making her lawful for her previous husband.�

'Trust everyone but not the devil in them'
Honzo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2009 at 7:32am
salam brother saladin, the opinion mentioned in the article are not the opinions of Islamic jurist.

Quote Triple Talaq: Bad in Law and Theology

pls refer,

http://www.al-inaam.com/fataawa/three_talaaq.htm

Edited by Honzo - 03 February 2009 at 7:34am
The femininity of the crescent, the masculinity of the cross. (Max Ernst, Men shall know nothing of this.)
Saladin View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2009 at 9:41am
Originally posted by islamsister islamsister wrote:

salamu alaikum

Im in desperate seek for answers
after personal problems between my Father and mother
he yesterday announced three talaqs to my mother in one breath after she has pressured him to do so , she was not at the right state of mind when she asked him and neither was my father..Now he regrets it immensly because he said it un intentionally. Now how can we deal with this situation when it comes to re-marrying?
since he said 3 talaqs in a bad state of mind.could it be considered as one talaq? or  does halala have to be pursued even if he truly didnt mean 3 talaqs..

an urgent reply is needed for iam devestated as well as the rest of my family...

-sister in islam

Since this is a case of Khula, here's some scholarly views on it -

Khula: Definition and How it is done

Khula� means the separation of the wife in return for a payment; the husband takes the payment and lets his wife go, whether this payment is the mahr which he gave to her, or more or less than that.

The basic principle concerning this is the verse in which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): �And it is not lawful for you (men) to take back (from your wives) any of your Mahr (bridal-money given by the husband to his wife at the time of marriage) which you have given them, except when both parties fear that they would be unable to keep the limits ordained by Allaah (e.g. to deal with each other on a fair basis). Then if you fear that they would not be able to keep the limits ordained by Allaah, then there is no sin on either of them if she gives back (the Mahr or a part of it) for her Al-Khul� (divorce)� [al-Baqarah 2:229]

The evidence for that from the Sunnah is that the wife of Thaabit ibn Qays ibn Shammaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said, �O Messenger of Allaah, I do not find any fault with Thaabit ibn Qays in his character or his religious commitment, but I do not want to commit any act of kufr after becoming a Muslim.� The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to her, �Will you give back his garden?� Because he had given her a garden as her mahr. She said, �Yes.� The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to Thaabit: �Take back your garden, and divorce her.� (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5273).

From this case the scholars understood that if a woman cannot stay with her husband, then the judge should ask him to divorce her by khula�; indeed he should order him to do so.

With regard to the way in which it is done, the husband should take his payment or they should agree upon it, then he should say to her �faaraqtuki� (I separate from you) or �khaala�tuki (I let you go), or other such words.

Talaaq (i.e., divorce) is the right of the husband, and does not take place unless it is done by him, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: �Talaaq is the right of the one who seizes the leg (i.e., consummates the marriage)� i.e., the husband. (Narrated by Ibn Maajah, 2081; classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Irwa� al-Ghaleel, 2041).

Hence the scholars said that whoever is forced to divorce his wife by talaaq wrongfully, and divorces her under pressure, then his divorce is not valid. See al-Mughni, 10/352.

With regard to a woman who might arrange her own divorce through the man-made laws, if this is for a reason for which it is permissible to seek a divorce, such as disliking her husband, not being able to stay with him or disliking him because of his immoral ways and indulgence in haraam actions, etc., there is nothing wrong with her seeking divorce, but in this case she should divorce him by khula� and return to him the mahr that he gave to her.

But if she is seeking divorce for no reason, then that is not permissible and the court ruling on divorce in this case does not count for anything in terms of sharee�ah. The woman still remains the wife of the man. This gives rise to a new problem, which is that this woman is regarded as a divorcee in the eyes of the (man-made) law, and can re-marry after her �iddah ends, but in fact she is still a wife and not a divorcee.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-�Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about a similar matter and said: Now we have a problem. The fact that she is still married to him means that she cannot marry anyone else, but according to the court ruling she is apparently divorced from him, and when her �iddah ends she can re-marry. I think that the only way out of this problem is that good and righteous people should get involved in this matter, to bring about reconciliation between the man and his wife. Otherwise she has to give him some payment, so that it will be a proper shar�i khula�. [Liqa� al-baab al-Maftooh by Shaykh Muhammad ibn �Uthaymeen, no. 54; 3/174.]

Ibn Katheer (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: There is unanimous agreement that the man who has divorced his wife by khula� may take her back during the �iddah.

Examples of acceptable reasons for asking one�s husband for khula�

1. If a woman dislikes her husband�s treatment of her � for example, he is over-strict, hot-tempered or easily-provoked, or gets angry a lot, or criticizes her and rebukes her for the slightest mistake or shortcoming, then she has the right of khula� [female-instigated divorce].

2. If she dislikes his physical appearance because of some deformity or ugliness, or because one of his faculties is missing, she has the right of khula�.

3. If he is lacking in religious commitment � for example, he doesn�t pray, or neglects to pray in jamaa�ah, or does not fast in Ramadaan without a proper excuse, or he goes to parties where haraam things are done, such as fornication, drinking alcohol and listening to singing and musical instruments, etc. � she has the right of khula�.

4. If he deprives of her of her rights of spending on her maintenance, clothing and other essential needs, when he is able to provide these things, then she has the right to ask for khula�.

5. If he does not give her her conjugal rights and thus keep her chaste because he is impotent (i.e. unable to have intercourse), or because he does not like her, or he prefers someone else, or he is unfair in the division of his time [i.e., among co-wives], then she has the right to ask for khula�.

Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2009 at 10:56am
Bro Saladin, can u pl clarify on the payment part?

I thought in Khula - the wife was supposed to return the Mahr amount - since she is breaking the contract. So she returns the husband's gift. And if the husband breaks the Nikah (contract) he foregoes the Mahr amount and cannot take it back.

I did not think that the wife had to make any other financial payment? apart from Mahr amount?

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Saladin View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2009 at 2:16pm
Thats incase the husband has gifted the wife anything valuable besides the mahr. Obviously excludes whatever he was obliged to spend on her.

Incase the wife's demanding for khula cuz the husband breached the prenup agreement, eg. took another wife against the prenup, then he cant claim the mahr, as per Sura Nisa : 20-21. I think this also applies if khula's due to grave immorality of the husband.

In any case the wife doesnt have to give more than she has taken from the husband. [Allah knows best]

Edited by Saladin - 11 March 2009 at 4:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic