IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Acceptable marriage partner  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Acceptable marriage partner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvrl8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Acceptable marriage partner
    Posted: 23 January 2009 at 11:51am
Salam everyone! As a female muslim I have been taught it is haram to marry any but a muslim man. However I have not been able to find the evidence for this. Can anyone give me the evidence that says it is haram for a muslim woman to marry any man that is not muslim?
Saladin View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2009 at 1:42pm
Salaam,

Do not marry unbelieving women, until they believe : A slave woman who believes is better than an unbelieving woman, even though she allures you. Nor marry (your girls) to unbelievers until they believe : A slave man who believes is better than an unbeliever, even though he allures you.....(2:221).

'Trust everyone but not the devil in them'
nvrl8 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvrl8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2009 at 6:43am
Salam and thank you for the reply however this does not really address my question. Men can marry women of of other faiths, i.e. "people of the book", such as christians. The question is what is the evidence that muslim women cannot do the same?
There are many people that are "believers" that are not muslim.
Saladin View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2009 at 11:02am
Salaam,

You're right, muslim men can marry virtuous women from ahle kitab as in Quranic verse 5:5 but that comes with preconditions. Before going into that and whether muslimas can or cant marry ahle kitabis, can you please explain the difference between believers (mumins) and muslims and also how a person can remain as a mumin while rejecting Islam.

'Trust everyone but not the devil in them'
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2009 at 11:35am
All scholars take the Surah to mean that you must marry a Muslim. I have never heard or read otherwise. Men are head of household so its different

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
jayrag View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayrag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2009 at 1:03pm
I really don't think this is in the Qur'an or Hadith. It is a trditional thing that was passed down thru time and the Ulema may have pushed this issue.

If muslim men can marry non muslim women then why can't the women do the same. In America and in most minority muslim countries it is difficult for muslims to find mates. A lot of muslim men marry non muslim women .

I guess its allowed because the children of a mixed marriage(islam/christan) will be guided to Islam by the father. But many times the Religion is not passed to the children in these mixed marriages.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic