IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Science & Technology
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - the orbits  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

the orbits

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nazarene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the orbits
    Posted: 23 January 2009 at 9:34am
peace to all

21:33 (Y. Ali) It is He Who created the Night and the Day, and the sun and the moon: all (the celestial bodies) swim along, each in its rounded course.

i believe the church hung a guy( for harisy) for stating the samething, the planets and the earth orbit the sun , not the sun and planets around the earth.
 it was the church doctrin that the earth was the center of the universe. going against the church easely broutht on death.
 can any remind me of the mans name?
leland

Edited by Nazarene - 23 January 2009 at 9:39am
love for all conquers all
Saladin View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2009 at 10:46am
I know one guy 'Giordano Bruno' who got into trouble with the church for proposing heliocentrism. They didnt hang him, they cooked him at the stake!

'Trust everyone but not the devil in them'
Hyposonic View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyposonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2009 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Saladin Saladin wrote:

I know one guy 'Giordano Bruno' who got into trouble with the church for proposing heliocentrism. They didnt hang him, they cooked him at the stake!

Aristarchus of Samos, Was the first person to coin the concept of �heliocentrism�

hat2010 View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hat2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Hyposonic Hyposonic wrote:

Aristarchus of Samos was the first person to coin the concept of �heliocentrism�

Read much? At all? That wasn't Nazarene's question. It wasn't like it was buried, Bravetart.

Salaam Nazarene and Saladin!

Though long dead, it is still a shame about Giordano Bruno.   Anyone who has time should get familiar with his work. And it probably was a combination of his scientific work and it's implications on the meaning of Christ's appearance, etc. that did get him killed by the Church.

Nazarene, read the entire wiki entry on Heliocentrism.
"Religious attitudes to Copernican heliocentrism"
Though I couldn't find the man you were looking for, it gives you an idea how sensitive people were about the subject...

Make sure to check out sections on Islamic astronomy as well!

Peace!

Edited by Jamal Morelli - 04 March 2009 at 10:48am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic