IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Dogs? Haraam?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dogs? Haraam?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2009 at 2:23am
Here is the question asked

"Salam
Has anyone read any Hadeeth which say that dogs are haraam?..."

Regards

Your dumb bro Shocked
Zaharah View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaharah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2009 at 3:07am
LOLSeekshidayath, LOLx'2 Ahmadjoyia-Salams,
I thought we are only suppose to be kind to animals of that nature but that's it.  I just freaks me out when i see people caring for animals before they value a human life, and then they actually kiss these animals in the mouth and allow them to lick face Dead
Zaharah

Edited by Zaharah - 03 May 2009 at 3:09am
CHANGE- Let's change the way we eat, the way we live and the way we treat each other. You see the old way wasn't working, so it's on us to do what we gotta do to survive.

Tupac A. Shakur...
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2009 at 5:08am

As Salamu Alaikum

Well said sis Zaharah. We care animals more than human beings. We may not express  love to our siblings around -- anyways, [am sure this line would bring up criticisms} I had a neighbour , who was a hindu. She called her dog, "My son". Smile. We cud not resist our laugh then.

Yes, i agree that stress is relieved thru pets, and we get bonded to them --- khayr.

Anyways, now to our dumb brother { who's actually pretending to be dumb.  Am sure, he knows its answer ----- } But then, insha Allah, it shall help us increase our knowledge

Hadith of Mohammad (pbuh) prohibiting eating of carnivorous animals
According to various authentic Ahadith narrated in Sahih Bukhari and Sahih Muslim  including hadith narrated by Ibn Abbas in Sahih Muslim, Book of hunting and slaughter, Hadith No. 4752 and Sunan Ibn-I-Majah chapter 13 Hadith no. 3232 to 3234, the Holy Prophet (pbuh) prohibited the eating of:

(i) Wild animals with canine teeth, i.e. meat eating carnivorous animals. These are animals belonging to the cat families such as lion, tiger, cats, dogs, wolfs, hyenas, etc.
(ii) Certain rodents like mice, rats, rabbits with claws, etc.
(iii) Certain reptiles like snakes, alligators, etc.
(iv) Birds of prey with talons or claws, like vultures, eagle, crows, owl, etc

{above is the answer of Zakir Naik}

In the Quran, Allah said, "Forbidden to you are the flesh of dead animals and blood and the flesh of Swine, and that which has been dedicated to any other than Allah and that which has been killed by slaughtering or by beating or by falling or by being gored, and that which has been (partly) eaten by a wild beast except that which you make lawful by slaughtering (before its death) and that which has been sacrificed to idols" (Quran Surah 16, Verse 14). The prehibition by species also includes these wild animals that have fangs (Quran: Surah 16, Verse 14), such as lions, tigers, wolves, dogs, and leopards, and birds that have claws, such as falcons, vultures, and eagles, animals that do not have ears, such as frogs, or are
poison-makers such as copperheads and rattlesnakes, are also forbidden (Al-Qardawi 1960). In Islam, all meat must be slaughtered.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Zaharah View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaharah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2009 at 10:20am

Wa Alaikum As Salams, Seekshidayath

I live in the States and it is very common here that people go to the point where they call their pets kids and they refere to themselve's as mom and dad.  NOW THAT's TO MUCH (for me) to process.  I have also seen here where people take out insurance policies, leave their estate when they die, and dress them in expencive cloths.

I agree (somewhat) about stress relief (GET A FISH)LOL
ZAHARAH 

Edited by Zaharah - 03 May 2009 at 10:22am
CHANGE- Let's change the way we eat, the way we live and the way we treat each other. You see the old way wasn't working, so it's on us to do what we gotta do to survive.

Tupac A. Shakur...
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2009 at 12:05pm
Occasionally it is lonliness, extreme emotional attachment and various factors that can make one extremely attached to a pet - that sometimes replaces them with human comfort. I would try not be judgemental.  (Referring to Hindu Lady) Alhamdulilah you and I live in societies which are still relatively communal, and we still have those essential communal values and bonds. We have not come to a point where we replace human bonds with that of pets.

People who express thier pets as thier children etc - for them its a form of expression of thier love. Abu Hurraira - who liked cats quite a lot, was affectionately known as 'father of the cat' i.e. Abu Hurraira.
We probably feel the way we do, because of the stigma attached with Dogs.

Yes there are ahadith, that for our benefit - talk about the impurity of Dog Saliva etc. However, I dont see what is wrong with loving a pet dog - as long as you maintain your Islamic restrictions and conduct. Loving a pet - is because of the Rahmat Allah put in our hearts for vulnerable creatures.

Extremes are bad - in both directions. One should not let animals get too physically close, its simply a matter of hygiene. Nor should they be bequeathing thier wealth to them and replacing them with humans.

Btw, on an interesting note: One of the reasons people leave property/wealth to pets - is because of Tax evasion issues etc. Atleast, thats what someone once told me, I'm not sure.

When you care for an animal (or a human) and they return your attention, its natural to 'love' them. People get attached to things and objects!!! These are animals. So I can understand the way a pet owner might feel. (I already said I dont condone extreme obsessive behaviour right? Wink)

And for the record, no I dont have a dog.

Edited by Chrysalis - 03 May 2009 at 12:09pm
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Zaharah View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaharah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2009 at 2:10pm
LOL I still say buy a FISH
at least you can eat that fish if things got bad.  lol
Zaharah

Tupac A. Shakur...
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2009 at 1:14pm
Well as a person who has a cat, I grew up with all types of animals.. I have yet to ever have a fight with any of them! Smile

Chrysalis, you are right in that we have a soft spot for vulnerable creatures. I absolutely abhor cruelty. I hate bullies and people who are mean. .be it to people or animals.

I volunteered in Thailand at the Elephant Nature Park. This amazing woman is rescuing the captive elephants to give them a better life. And I remember one sweet elephant has been intentionally blinded by her owner for refusing to obey a command. 

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
elisheba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elisheba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2011 at 6:47am
My dog will not go near my prayer rug. I think he thinks that it is my place where I rest. He stays about 5 feet away when I pray & he faces Mecca. I did not teach him these things. I need a dog for farming but cannot afford the $ 1000 to $ 1200 for a trained herding breed dog. So I have acquired him ( for free )( a herding breed ) to sire puppies that I can train.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic