IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hijab  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hijab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
JihadX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JihadX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2009 at 1:38pm
I see. This is a good idea, I just like the idea of having a very long beard. It makes me think wisdom when I see an old man with a long beard.
About the t-shirts, I agree. Those kinds of shirts are very popular here and should not be worn by muslims.
�The knife that slaughtered the guards at Bagram and set us free is now on its way to other places,�
_ The Mujahid, The Eminent, Sheikh Abu Yahya Al Libi
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2009 at 12:41pm
Interesting point Hayfa. Nowadays everything is about 'how you express yourselves' (Facebook, music . . . T-shirts!)

some Muslim men will wear really wierd T-shirts...with wierd slogans. I knew a brother in school - who was a namazi, and had a beard , but wore a t-shirt that said: '99% of the chicks are pretty, the rest are in my school' !!! And dont get me started on those French Connection shirts!

As for the brand image... I agree completely. We should be concious about what image we support as well.... More often than not the consumer doesnt know!!! E.g, perhaps some ppl dont know Tommy Hielfiger is a racist, and said that his clothes were meant for a certain class of ppl and that he didnt want so-and-so wearing them. Sometimes they do know, but dont care ? (like this sister I saw, who apparently thought the 'playboy bunny' symbol was just an innocent one....)

That was an interesting point u brought up.

Edited by Chrysalis - 18 February 2009 at 12:43pm
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
savant View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2009 at 10:41am
[I dislike those who shave, there is no excuse for them.];

dislike sin not them :)

anyhow nice chit chat
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2009 at 10:31am
Also what about clothing that is about supporting  an 'image'? I heard a scholar asking a group of young teens why they wear this and that-shirts with abercrombie etc. on them. What are you paying this for etc etc.

Was interesting topic
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2009 at 1:53am
Originally posted by JihadX JihadX wrote:

I understand. I don't think that men are always judged by their beard. I dislike those who shave, there is no excuse for them. Most muslims in the west who aren't salafi will shave. They like to shave and they will tell you that they do it because of America. Many citizens here think if a man has a long beard and he's wearing islamic clothes, he is a "terrorist"! This is really common. I will never shave. I like the really long beards, 10 inches or so.

Actually bro, America or not - unfortunately, not many Muslim men keep beards.

I found your 10inch beard comment amusing. Smile Mashallah you are very passionate about the sunnah. There is no need/compulsion to have a Dumbledore-like beard . . .On the contrary, what  Umar (r.a) used to do was, he would hold his beard in a fist - and trim the remaining off. Trimming the beard i.e. keeping it neat and smart is reccommended. So is combing it, and moving fingers through it during wudhu (to keep it clean) - just incase you hadnt come across it - though you probably did.

Also, people of other faiths, e.g. Sikhs, and some Jews I think - tend to keep reeeally long beards - so it would be Sunnah to not follow them, hence keep it to an Umar-like level. (Both Sikhs and Jews cant trim thier beards at all)

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
JihadX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JihadX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2009 at 7:27pm
Mashallah! Thank you for the information..
Jazak Allah Khayr!
�The knife that slaughtered the guards at Bagram and set us free is now on its way to other places,�
Talib_Asadullah View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talib_Asadullah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2009 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by JihadX JihadX wrote:

I understand. I don't think that men are always judged by their beard. I dislike those who shave, there is no excuse for them. Most muslims in the west who aren't salafi will shave. They like to shave and they will tell you that they do it because of America. Many citizens here think if a man has a long beard and he's wearing islamic clothes, he is a "terrorist"! This is really common. I will never shave. I like the really long beards, 10 inches or so.

Assalamu Alaikum

Alhamduillah Akhi.

The shortest the beard should be is the length of the fist.

The question is, is the Lord of these brothers America or Allah?

There is something I read from Al Ghazzali one time, and I will paraphase because I didnt remember verbatim(Maybe I can find it for you). He said, "The world is like a woman. She seeks your hand in marriage and she asks of your Deen for her dowry. And she wont be satisfied until she has every bit of it..."

And brother, I am only concerned about being judged by The Judger.
Al-Qur'an was-Sunnah
JihadX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JihadX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2009 at 2:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic