IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - On Praising People  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

On Praising People

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOCKBA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2005 at 1:13am

Bismillah

Brother Ahmad,

I am not quite sure whether there is meaning in a metaphorical sense. And i tend to believe that one has to look at the situation, or the setting of the situation. The act and the form of throwing dust could be assimilated with the act of spitting three times on your left upon having had a bad dream (form of spitting comprising mainly of air with little spittle)... where picking a handful of sand to blind someone in the cloud of dust may not be the way.

The key message here is the undesirability of praising in the face. The udesirability of creating discomfort by praising a genuinely humble person, or sowing a seed of arrogance and selfish pride in the mind of the weak.

Brother Israfil,

As far as Shia' notion of praising Ali (may Allah be pleased with him) is concerned, i am not familiar and not very interested to know. It is impossible to be praising him in the face and as such the discussion becomes irrelevant. 

Sister Amna Ali,

It some of your examples, the distinction must be made between praising and thanking. Flattering or praising is not just to say something kind about a person. Flattering is to praise excessively especially from motives of self-interest. Praising is to glorify especially by the attribution of perfections.

It is not human nature to praise if humans do not make it as such. Some cultures encourage praising others, to boost self-confidence, even when there is nothing much in their doing that truly deserves praise.

In Islam praise is often associted with Allah, the Most High.  

In many instances we are taught to praise Allah and supplicate to Him in the place where our culture would encourage exalting of the person (when sneezing, when receiving favour from someone, help, support, charity etc.). We are not asked to come up with huge mockups of cheques to make sure the amount of contribution made is well captured well by the media... in fact, we are taught to do the opposite when performing charity, in a way that our left hand is not aware of what the right hand is doing.  

"If someone does you a favour and you say Jazzak Allahu Khairan (May Allah reward you with goodness) then you have indeed exelled in praising."  

Edited by MOCKBA
MOCKBA
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2005 at 11:19am
Thanks Bro MOCKBA for your elaboration of the ahadith. However, though I see you explaining my speicific concern with regard to a metaphor, but I do see someone making use of literal understanding as well. e.g. in your own post `When you see those who shower undue praises upon others throw dust upon their faces.''' and then by the commentator "If one can throw grit in his face, that should also be done."
 Do you really think this is a recommended path by an ever tolerant and peace loving prophet?

Edited by AhmadJoyia
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2005 at 10:20am

As'Salamau Alaikum,

Besides for obvious reasons what is the difference between praise in absence and in person?

amna_ali View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amna_ali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2005 at 10:15am

Asslamualaikum

Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

With all due respect MOCKBA what do you call the Shia when they praise Ali, who was neither a prophet nor had any divine right?

Alhumdolillah-i-rubilaalamin. Nodoubt all prophets, sahabas, are priaseworthy.

Further, it is not bad if we praise a person in his/her absence. But here the issue is to praise a person in his/her very presence...

Ma Salaam 

Kind words and the covering of faults are better than charity followed by injury. God is free of all wants and He is most forebearing. (Al baqra: 263)
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2005 at 8:41am
With all due respect MOCKBA what do you call the Shia when they praise Ali, who was neither a prophet nor had any divine right?
amna_ali View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amna_ali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2005 at 8:16am

Bismillah irrahman irrahin

Alhumdolillah-i-rubi aalamin

Mashallah one very important purpose that the forum is fulfilling is to educate people. Attention is raised towards the issues that we seldom bother to consider in real life. Same is the case with �PRAISING PEOPLE.� Brother Mockeba�s quoting ahadith has made it very clear that he is only concerned with the issue of praising people in common routine life. Jazak Allah khairen

What I perceive from the post is to praise someone is not fully forbidden but its matter of moderation.

"Imam An-Nawawi has stated that these ahadith are in prohibition of praise while there are many in favour of it. `Ulama are of the opinion that the two points of view can be reconciled. "

(correct me if I am wrong). But one should know how to praise and how much?

Yes Brother you are right; "Indeed many of the ahadeeth do require further explanation, especially when they are bound to a specific setting or have chronological significance." 

I would like other forum members to share their views in this regard as I believe that its in human nature to praise.So we should have to work over it.

• Parents praise their children. They love to tell everybody about their children abilities.
  • We praise our friends, family members, teachers, etc whenever they help us. Its our desire to let other people know how kind and helpful the person is. And we also thank him/her.
  • We acknowledge others for their outstanding performance. 

Its very important to correct ourselves if we are going towards wrong direction.

May Allah give us Hidayet  and we be able to understand Quran and Sunnah and live our life Islamically(amen).

MA Salaam

Kind words and the covering of faults are better than charity followed by injury. God is free of all wants and He is most forebearing. (Al baqra: 263)
MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOCKBA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2005 at 10:18pm

Bismillah

Assalamu'alaikum Bro Ahmad,

Thank for your comment. Indeed many of the ahadeeth do require further explanation, especially when they are bound to a specific setting or have chronological significance. "Cutting of the head" in the above narrations would be metaphorically synonymous with "making someone big-headed". Praise, when pronounced in the face and in the presence of others often tends to produce foundation for arrogance vanity and pride. And as we know, vanity ruins people. I thought this issue might be appropriate for discussion and taking a note of by the forum users especially when we are not able to know each other for real other than mere virtual.  

Abu Musa Al-Ash`ari (May Allah be pleased with him) said: The Prophet (PBUH) heard a person lauding another person or praising him too much. Thereupon he said, "You killed the man,'' or he said, "You ruined the man.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Abu Bakr (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Mention of a man was made to the Prophet (PBUH) and someone praised him whereupon he (PBUH) said, "Woe be to you! You have broken the neck of your friend!'' He repeated this several times and added, "If one of you has to praise his friend at all, he should say: `I reckon him to be such and such and Allah knows him well', if you think him to be so-and-so, you will be accountable to Allah because no one can testify the purity of others against Allah.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary:  This hadith prohibits us from praising anyone in his face. If at all one has to praise someone, he should say that "In my opinion he is such and such,'' provided he really thinks as he says. The reason for this is that it is Allah Alone Who knows him thoroughly and none can claim to be innocent before Him.

Hammam bin Al- Harith (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: A person began to praise `Uthman (May Allah be pleased with him), and Al-Miqdad (May Allah be pleased with him) sat upon his knees and began to throw pebbles upon the flatterer's face. `Uthman (May Allah be pleased with him) said: "What is the matter with you?'' He said: "Verily, the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, `When you see those who shower undue praises upon others throw dust upon their faces.'''
[Muslim].

Commentary:  The purpose of this hadith seems to be that one should neither pay serious attention to one who praises nor reward him for it. If one can throw grit in his face, that should also be done. One should at least avoid such persons who are in the habit of praising people unnecessarily.

Imam An-Nawawi has stated that these ahadith are in prohibition of praise while there are many in favour of it. `Ulama are of the opinion that the two points of view can be reconciled. If the one who is praised has perfect Faith and confidence and is endowed with the gift of knowledge by Allah and has control over his self and thereby he is not likely to go astray by praise, then praising him is neither unlawful nor disgusting. But if he is vulnerable to praise then praising him in his presence is abhorred. Ahadith in prohibition of praise support this point of view. While one of the ahadith, which are in favour of praise, relates to the occasion when the Prophet (May Allah be pleased with him) said to Abu Bakr As-Siddiq (May Allah be pleased with him): "I hope that you will also be among them,'' that is "You will be one of those who will be called from every gate of Jannah.'' (See, Sahih Al-Bukhari, Kitab Fada'il As-Sahabah). Another hadith on the issue relates to the event when the Prophet (PBUH) said to Abu Bakr (May Allah be pleased with him): "You are not one of them.'' What it signified was that "You are not one of those who keep their trousers below their ankles out of sheer pride.'' (See, Sahih Al-Bukhari, Manaqib Abu Bakr). He said to `Umar (May Allah be pleased with him): "When Satan sees you going on some way, he leaves it and proceeds to some other direction.'' (Al-Bukhari, Manaqib `Umar).

In any case and seeking the firm side, making a supplication when we feel like praising someone (like a simple Jazak Allahu Khairan) will be much more effective and rewarding, insha Allah.

Hope this helps.

Wasalaam.

MOCKBA
amna_ali View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amna_ali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2005 at 8:24am

Asslamualikum,

Here I think I make myself misunderstood "If praise is not good then what to say about flattery???"

I was just wondering that if genuine admiration is not permissable then what will be the punishment of flattery.

Brother Mockba wrote:

"I am not sure where you have deducted the opposite opinion from, though i am aware that contemporary books on motivation are widely propogating it today."

Hmmm actually it is really an information for me. I admit my lack of knowledge in this regard. I never think from this perspective.  I am very much in the habit of praising. I think more information is required from your side to make things more clear.

Jazak Allah

Ma Salaam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic