IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Islamic Arts & Literatures
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What will matter  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What will matter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What will matter
    Posted: 04 January 2009 at 3:03am

What Will Matter

Ready or not, some day it will all come to an end.
There will be no more sunrises, no minutes, hours, or days.
All the things you collected, whether treasured or forgotten, will pass to someone else.
Your wealth, fame, and temporal power will shrivel to irrelevance.

It will not matter what you owned or what you were owed.
Your grudges, resentments, frustrations, and jealousies will finally disappear.
So too, your hopes, ambitions, plans, and to-do lists will expire.
The wins and losses that once seemed so important will fade away.

It won't matter where you came from or what side of the tracks you lived on at the end.
It won't matter whether you were beautiful or brilliant.
Even your gender and skin color will be irrelevant.
So what will matter? How will the value of your days be measured?

What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got but what you gave.
What will matter is not your success but your significance.
What will matter is not what you learned but what you taught.
What will matter is every act of integrity, compassion, courage, or sacrifice that enriched, empowered, or encouraged others to emulate your example.

(taken from Character counts)

Al Huda Institute, Canada

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Hunter View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2009 at 10:21pm
Seekshidayath  Assalam alaikum  Hello my friend. I loved reading this; what's important is what we give to life rather than what we take. It reminds me of my grandfather on my mother's side. He died a very wealthy but selfish and bitter man. At his funeral I noticed that the only person who wasn't directly related to him was his tax-accountant. Because of the inherritance I recieved, I was able to put enough money down to purchase a modest house. Although I'm grateful for that, I'd happily trade the house for a grandfather who could have loved me. Respectfully-- Hunter
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything"-- DrDre
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2009 at 5:40am
Al Huda is in Canada also? Mashallah. . . good memories of Al Huda.
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2009 at 6:35pm
As Salamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu

Hunter, if you don't mind i have something to say. When we greet "As Salamu Alaikum", we make dua {pray} for the peace of that person. When we are in public/ gathering we don't limit this prayer {greeting} only to one person. Suppose if greet by a name like As Salamu Alaikum hunter, i get the reward of greeting only you. While i say just "As Salamu Alaikum" then its a prayer for all those who are present. I would get the reward of greeting those many people, and my salam would reach all even you..Smile Is it not an easy way of earning reward. We are to try our best to earn as much as we can, as this is the only life of which we are n;t sure of next moment. There are many hadiths which speak of importance of salam, insha Allah, we will discuss them in an other section. By the way, islam teaches us never to speak ill of the deceased.Wink Pls note that

Sister {chrysallis}, Dr. Farhat Hashmi is a pakistani settled at Canada, So it shud not be a surprise, when we feel the fragnance of faith  of this great muslimah, even there.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Hunter View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2009 at 12:59am
[QUOTE=seekshidayath]As Salamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu

Hunter, if you don't mind i have something to say. When we greet "As Salamu Alaikum", we make dua {pray} for the peace of that person. When we are in public/ gathering we don't limit this prayer {greeting} only to one person. Suppose if greet by a name like As Salamu Alaikum hunter, i get the reward of greeting only you. While i say just "As Salamu Alaikum" then its a prayer for all those who are present. I would get the reward of greeting those many people, and my salam would reach all even you..Smile Is it not an easy way of earning reward. We are to try our best to earn as much as we can, as this is the only life of which we are n;t sure of next moment. There are many hadiths which speak of importance of salam, insha Allah, we will discuss them in an other section. By the way, islam teaches us never to speak ill of the deceased.Wink Pls note that

As Salamu Alaikum  Hello Seekshidayath. So far I'd only been told that this was the proper Muslim greeting, but not what it was. If I understand you correctly, I'm actually praying for your peace and well being, is this correct? If I'm praying for the peace and well being of everyone I'm addressing, it should be done as I've done it here, before any names. Also correct? As for my grandfather, he's been a negative power of example in my life; an example of what I didn't want to become, but you're right, I shouldn't speak ill of him. Again, I'm grateful for the helpful corrections you've given me. You and Akhe are two friends who aren't afraid to tell me when I go astray. A true friend is one who doesn't hesitate to face you with the truth about yourself. Take care Seeks-- Hunter

Edited by Hunter - 08 January 2009 at 1:04am
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything"-- DrDre
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2009 at 2:38am

a side note : btw Seeks, i just heard that Farhat Hashmi had to move to Canada because she was facing troubles in Pakistan, in the government's 'crackdown' on 'fudamentalists'. They were  basically controlling thier movements in and out of the country or something. Which is very strange, because she is a simple, peaceful lady, Ive met her. A lot of good people were suspected and troubled post 9-11.

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic