IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What do you like about Islam?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What do you like about Islam?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Starter
Starter
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yusuf Arief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2009 at 8:23am
Salam sister Chrysalis and thank you for your warm welcome.
cloud777 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cloud777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2010 at 7:36pm
Well it looks like this thread is really old, but I'm going to reply to it anyway.  I see that there is a lot of communication from Christians on here, but not so much from Atheists.  So, here I am with my comments.

So what do I like about Islam?  Hmm, well I still much to learn but I know for sure that I like the architecture of Islamic Mosques.  I've never been inside one yet, but I really want to see the inside sometime.  I also like claigraphy, and the way the arabic script looks in the Qur'an.  I am always attracted to languages that do not use roman letters.  (I have studied and am now fluent in Japanese for this reason)  Maybe it seems silly, but I also like the song "Who is the loved one" by Sami Yusuf.  I listen to this song all the time. 

Now I know those are all artistic / musical aspects to Islam, so I'll say something more regarding the religion itself.  I admittedly have little experience interacting with Muslims on a daily basis, but from what I gather it seems that most Muslims are more serious about their religion than say, mainsteam Christians.  I say this because it seems to me that Islam is a way of life.  Today, Christitanty tends to brand itself more as a "relationship" with Jesus, and a one hour church service on your day off.  But in Islam the practices seem so much more involved in the everyday lives of the people.  The dress, and actions of a Muslim will often times give their religion away without discussing it, but that is not usually the case with a Christian. 

I like the how Islam respects the original language of their holy text.  It seems that people take the King James version of the Bible to be the "official" Bible, at least in the USA.  People want to relate to something in English, and they care little for words in foreign languages.  I like how Islam makes an effort to have all its follows know certain Arabic phrases and sentences.  I think this really goes far in the global oneness of the religion.  The Catholic religion had this aspect keeping the Mass in Latin only up until last century when that was abolished.  I think that it lost something special at that point.  I hope that Islam will always uphold and promote the original language of the Qur'an as it does today.

I like the idea of the Hajj.  If I were Muslim I would want to go as soon as possible.  It looks to be an amazing experience.  I hope you all have a wonderful time when you go.  ^_^
The absurd one View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The absurd one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 1:35am
Well here's the opinion of an Agnostic, to be Islam seems to be a religion of education and social progress put back in the context of the Dark Ages. I like that mosques weren't meant to be just place of prayers but also place of educations where people learned to read and write, to count etc...

I like how it also set the basis of a social system (the mandatory social tax) and a jurisprudence (the Shari'a, although today it's not really a solid judicial system, was nevertheless a progress compared to the anarchy it replaced).
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 11:38am
That was well-said Cloud777.  Thank you.
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2010 at 1:12am
Originally posted by cloud777 cloud777 wrote:

So what do I like about Islam?� Hmm, well I still much to learn but I know for sure that I like the architecture of Islamic Mosques.� I've never been inside one yet, but I really want to see the inside sometime.� I also like claigraphy, and the way the arabic script looks in the Qur'an.�

That was a very interesting share cloud777! I enjoyed reading.

Now I know those are all artistic / musical aspects to Islam, so I'll say something more regarding the religion itself.�[/Quote]

Muslims (especially the Persians, Arabs, Indians) were very fond of poetry. You should perhaps look that up, I think you'll enjoy it.

Quote I hope that Islam will always uphold and promote the original language of the Qur'an as it does today.

InshAllah! (God Willing) I too hope we retain all these parts of our identity.

Quote I like the idea of the Hajj.� If I were Muslim I would want to go as soon as possible.� It looks to be an amazing experience.�I hope you all have a wonderful time when you go. � ^_^

Why thankyou! I have yet to go myself, only seen Hajj on TV and in pictures so far, I hope that inshAllah you too can go someday ^_^
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2010 at 1:24am
Originally posted by The absurd one The absurd one wrote:

Well here's the opinion of an Agnostic, to be Islam seems to be a religion of education and social progress put back in the context of the Dark Ages. I like that mosques weren't meant to be just place of prayers but also place of educations where people learned to read and write, to count etc...

I like how it also set the basis of a social system (the mandatory social tax) and a jurisprudence (the Shari'a, although today it's not really a solid judicial system, was nevertheless a progress compared to the anarchy it replaced).

Thanks for sharing The Absurd One,

Yes we Muslims were indeed progressive back in the "Dark Ages". I think at that time, Muslims were confident and independent - we embraced our identity/culture. We were broad-minded and had ambitions. Unfortunately for the past few centuries we have lost that touch - we are too used to feeling victimized now... we've had a tough time as well no doubt. I just hope we can redeem ourselves as a community - for many of us have lost the values that made us the civilization we once were.

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Thom01 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thom01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2010 at 2:18pm
The literal meaning of Jihad happens to be effort or struggle...Anywhere you have to exert extra effort becomes jihad and biggest effort or jihad is to control the selfish, gluttonous, corrupt leanings of any ones personality!

Someone posted this response in another thread, and I found it quite appropriate to the founding premises of most legitimate religious endeavors ("religious," that is, within the meaning and context of the original definition of the word religiare which means "to bind back; to bind together").

I find little to argue with such statements when in comparison to other statements, such as the following uttered by Siddhattha Gotama:

"Mind is the forerunner of all actions. All deeds are led by mind, created by mind. If one speaks or acts with a corrupt mind, suffering follows, as the wheel follows the hoof of an ox pulling a cart.

"If one speaks or acts with a serene mind, happiness follows, as surely as one's shadow.

" 'He abused me, mistreated me, defeated me, robbed me.' Harboring such thoughts keeps hatred alive. Releasing such thoughts banishes hatred for all time."

Or:

"Just as an arrowsmith shapes an arrow to perfection with fire, so does the wise man shape his mind, which is fickle, unsteady, vulnerable, and erratic."

irenemac View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irenemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2010 at 6:02am
I don't know if "like" is the right word but I deeply respect and admire the focus and discipline and commitment of some within the Islamic faith. That it is more a way of life than a simple religion also appeals to me, since most religions are far more hypocritical in the way their faith is practiced.

And with that I've posted my first post! Greetings everyone :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic