IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 'Merry Christmas' got her fired  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'Merry Christmas' got her fired

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'Merry Christmas' got her fired
    Posted: 27 December 2008 at 7:16am

"I hold my core Christian values to a high standard and I absolutely refuse to give in on the basis of values. All I wanted was to be able to say 'Merry Christmas' or to acknowledge no holidays," she said Tuesday. "As a Christian, I don't recognize any other holidays."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081226/ap_on_re_us/happy_holidays_firing

Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2008 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

"I hold my core Christian values to a high standard and I absolutely refuse to give in on the basis of values. All I wanted was to be able to say 'Merry Christmas' or to acknowledge no holidays," she said Tuesday. "As a Christian, I don't recognize any other holidays."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081226/ap_on_re_us/happy_holidays_firing

I think people should be allowed to say Merry Christmas at their place of employment. Along with Eid Mubarek, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Lohri and the other 10,000 Hindu holidays, Happy Visakah Puja, etc.....
�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
nothing View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2008 at 1:26pm
It seems this story has some missing dots in between. She was fired in December 10 in that article. A bit too early don't you think, or did I misunderstood this?

"We are a Christian company and we celebrate Christmas," said Andy Phillips, the company's president.

Thomas is "a disgruntled employee," presenting a one-sided version of what happened when she was fired Dec. 10, Phillips said.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2008 at 1:34pm
"I think people should be allowed to say Merry Christmas at their place of employment."

I agree.  What's the big deal - especially in America.
mariacanadiana View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariacanadiana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2008 at 3:50pm
I agree , this "happy holidays" pc nonsense is getting to me. Just because a muslim or a jew or a hindu doesn't celebrate christmas doesnt mean that the whole world has to pretend its not christmas.

I say merry christmas to my friends

My friends say Eid Mubarak to me on Eid. 

Now that my firends is tolerance and acceptance :)

Edited by mariacanadiana - 28 December 2008 at 3:52pm
Hyposonic View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyposonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2008 at 5:12pm
"I agree.  What's the big deal - especially in America."

I don�t know if this was a joke or a sincere replay, but as Shasta mentioned, there are many holidays that many different cultures celebrate many of whom reside in the U.S. To be fair not to offend others in a place of work people ought to be neutral.

Hyposonic View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyposonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2008 at 5:18pm
I agree , this "happy holidays" pc nonsense is getting to me. Just because a muslim or a jew or a hindu doesn't celebrate christmas doesnt mean that the whole world has to pretend its not christmas.

It�s not about pretending it�s about being correct, whether it�s political or not. Fine. I will give you that perhaps 85% of Americans celebrate Christmas (if that is a correct figure), but that doesn�t mean the other 15% does not exist and must succumb to the majorities wishes. Christmas is historically a religious holiday. In America, it seems it has become socially acceptable because it�s associated with materialisim and commercialization. What you do is fine but there are Jews and there are Hindus and others who do not celebrate that holiday. You not acknowledging that is not cultural pluralism, its called ignorance not tolerance or acceptance.

Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2008 at 6:18pm
I suspect there is something else going on. I really doubt this would happen in Florida no less.. sorry something else is going on...
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic