IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Humanity's purpose  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Humanity's purpose

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jusaskin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Humanity's purpose
    Posted: 03 November 2008 at 11:55am
Can someone tell me if the Quran clearly, and I would emphasize the word "clearly", explains why Allah created mankind?
joe
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by jusaskin jusaskin wrote:

Can someone tell me if the Quran clearly, and I would emphasize the word "clearly", explains why Allah created mankind?

Hi,
good to see you again.
I, as a Muslim understand that my purpose is to know, acknowledge, worship and serve the One who made me.
These verses I find to be confirming my belief.

2:21 O MANKIND! Worship your Sustainer, who has created you and those who lived before you, so that you might remain conscious of Him

51:56 And [tell them that] I have not created the invisible beings  and men to any end other than that they may [know and] worship Me.

49:13 O mankind! Lo! We have created you male and female, and have made you nations and tribes that ye may know one another. Lo! the noblest of you, in the sight of God, is the best in conduct. Lo! God is Knower, Aware.

Hasan

Edited by honeto - 04 November 2008 at 5:38pm
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by honeto honeto wrote:

I, as a Muslim understand that my purpose is to know, acknowledge, worship and serve the One who made me.
With respect, Hasan, I don't think that answers jusaskin's question.  It is your duty to acknowledge, worship and serve; but is that why God created you? What is the purpose of your worship from His point of view?   In other words, why does God care whether you worship Him or not?

I'm curious about this myself, because in another discussion recently I mentioned that God is the only Being who can legitimately be proud.  All the things for which we might be tempted to feel pride ought rightly to be attributed to God; but God Himself can claim credit and can be proud of His works.

I have always taken it for granted that the reason God created us (as Christians would argue, anyway) was to have others with whom to share His creation.  Yes, I think God was quite literally "showing off" when He made some of the more spectacular aspects of the universe, and I think we worship and serve God whenever we marvel at them or seek to understand them through science.  I think by doing so we fulfill God's purpose even if we do not acknowledge His existence.

Edited by Ron Webb - 04 November 2008 at 6:32pm
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
jusaskin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jusaskin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2008 at 10:56pm
Hasan,

Thanks for the reply! 51:56 is getting about as close to what I'm asking as any of the verses I found in a Noble Quran seach. I thought 45:22 might contain something, "And All�h has created the heavens and the earth with truth, in order that each person may be recompensed what he has earned, and they will not be wronged.", but that deals more with the creation of heaven and earth rather than people.

God does not have to explain himself, but I just thought you who study the Quran might have some definitive statements that I missed or did not understand.

But thanks for sharing!

Joe
joe
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2008 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

Originally posted by honeto honeto wrote:

With respect, Hasan, I don't think that answers jusaskin's question.  It is your duty to acknowledge, worship and serve; but is that why God created you? What is the purpose of your worship from His point of view?   In other words, why does God care whether you worship Him or not?

I'm curious about this myself, because in another discussion recently I mentioned that God is the only Being who can legitimately be proud.  All the things for which we might be tempted to feel pride ought rightly to be attributed to God; but God Himself can claim credit and can be proud of His works.

I have always taken it for granted that the reason God created us (as Christians would argue, anyway) was to have others with whom to share His creation.  Yes, I think God was quite literally "showing off" when He made some of the more spectacular aspects of the universe, and I think we worship and serve God whenever we marvel at them or seek to understand them through science.  I think by doing so we fulfill God's purpose even if we do not acknowledge His existence.

Ron,
I am sorry my reply was not upto your satisfaction. I , as always was barely making the effort to convey how I see things in response to a very basic quetion.
You are right, we acknowledge God in may ways, sometimes without knowingly. But I believe it is our declared and intentional acknowledgement that show our level of understanding and gratitute toward Him.

I personally, disagree that "God shows off". To show off is a human phenomenon, we want to show off with what we have more than the other, it can be as simple as lighter skin, muscles, wealth, better car, job, house, political power ETC. God does not have a rival similar to him.
We read about those in history and probably many in today's world who claimed to be all powerful and god, but God has given each one a chance, a term. If in that provided term one realizes his/her reality and position VS that of his/her Creator's and lives accordingly has achieved the purpose of being here.

Hasan
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Nazarene View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nazarene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2008 at 6:50am
knowing our purpose is to know the will of god.
we may claim or proclaim this or that as "our" purpose in this life . but do we truly know?
 will the happenings in our lives make us who we are ,defining us? or do we mold the happenings in our lives to define ourselves?
 i agree with my friend Hasan.and in doing so live the life we live. keeping our minds and hearts open to god and his influence. and " let" god have is say in our lives.
peace
leland

Edited by Nazarene - 23 November 2008 at 7:48am
love for all conquers all
jusaskin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jusaskin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2008 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Nazarene Nazarene wrote:

we may claim or proclaim this or that as "our" purpose in this life . but do we truly know?
 will the happenings in our lives make us who we are ,defining us? or do we mold the happenings in our lives to define ourselves?   

I would be interested in hearing your answer to each of the proposed questions individually.

joe
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2008 at 6:44pm

Hasan,

Thanks for the reply! 51:56 is getting about as close to what I'm asking as any of the verses I found in a Noble Quran seach. I thought 45:22 might contain something, "And All�h has created the heavens and the earth with truth, in order that each person may be recompensed what he has earned, and they will not be wronged.", but that deals more with the creation of heaven and earth rather than people.

God does not have to explain himself, but I just thought you who study the Quran might have some definitive statements that I missed or did not understand.

But thanks for sharing!

Joe

Hi Joe,
I agree that 51:56 is the clearest on this subject as far as I know. It stats what we humans have been pursuing since the begining in one way or other, to know him and to find the right way to serve Him.  And that's what this verse points to.

Hasan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic