IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - OBAMA PRESIDENCY?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

OBAMA PRESIDENCY?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka2x2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OBAMA PRESIDENCY?
    Posted: 27 October 2008 at 7:40am

The other day, I overheard three people talking about the upcoming US election.

The first one said �If Obama is elected president, he will bring out the Quran for his swearing in ceremony�. The second one said �Yes. Everyone knows he is a Muslim�. The third one said �How can he be allowed to swear on the Quran to defend the constitution of the United States; that is an oxymoron�.

These people seem to be ignorant of a few facts:

The first step in being a Muslim is the declaration of belief known as Shahada. Muslims throughout the history have given their lives rather than deny their Islam. Over and over, Obama has declared that he is not a Muslim. By definition he could not be one.

The constitution does not preclude a Muslim from becoming the president. In fact it was written to include all religions in the American society.

The charge that Obama is a Muslim is a smoke screen. The majority of those who oppose him do so because of his race. However, it is not safe to bring that up in mixed company and they talk about his secret adherence to Islam instead. Needless to say, it has become quite common to show prejudice against Muslims with legal impunity.

Obama is not a Muslim but he is not likely to be as hostile towards them as the current administration. Why is that such a bad thing for America? At home, haven�t there been enough ruined lives to prove the loyalty of American Muslims? And abroad, hasn�t there been enough bloodshed to stop this mindless �clash of the civilizations� nonsense?

Respectfully
aka2x2
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2008 at 9:16am
Did you actually hear those people say that? I'm just curious.
aka2x2 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka2x2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2008 at 9:18am
Yes. However, the conversation was more slang and I corrected the grammer for posting.

Edited by aka2x2 - 27 October 2008 at 9:20am
Respectfully
aka2x2
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2008 at 9:34am

Well interesting parable, bt the fact of the matter is it is what you have just noted this election is about Barack Obama's race than anything. However, the McCain party is using Barack's name in association with supposed terrorist so that his camps plays into the fear of his election. I've read in various articles that in various speeches by Palin she refers to Barack's middle name than his first name, but I'm not sure if those were accurate reports. But on the flipside I honestly think a lot of americans are quite unintelligent and because they take media reports as divine mandate I actually believe it when people assert he is Muslim, and not because he came out and say it but because they associate his name with either Islam or of the Arabic culture (of course if they believe the latter then they really lack intelligence).

I've had some ignorant comments made towards me since I recently declared to vote for him. I was told and I quote: "You're voting for him because he is black right?" Of course I had to do a double take. I had to kindly remind the person that as a United States citizen I reserve the right to vote who I want to vote for as president. I also mentioned to the person that in any past elections I vote for the candidate that appears to have the best competency. Of course there is some what of a cultural bias that I have reserved but more importantly I want to know if the man can do the job and I finalized the discussion with, if race is an issue with me then I'm certainly tired of "rich ole' white men who claim to know my cultural/social pains."
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2008 at 11:29am
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2008 at 6:31pm
Abu you never cease to amaze me......I wonder about you as an individual. I'll comment later on your article.
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2008 at 10:14am
Now regarding my previous comment on the article posted by Abu I wondered why such a link was even posted in the first place. I mean, the title of the thread was of a curious question (or statement). The author then describe an event that he experienced and the experience was about how these particular individuals see Obama. Then comes abu with a link and out of curiousity I read the link then BAM! The discusses how blacks may see Obama's presidency as "payback?"  So again looking at this link I'm trying to find the relationship between this thread and the link. Allow me to comment further on several key issues:

How would the country be different if led by a black man?

This cannot be answered until it has transpired. Frankly, regardless whether Obama is elected or not America will still have racism. Whites will still be the dominate and powerful majority and we will still have class issues and poverty. the only thing that will change is a different human being of a different ethnic origin.

Interesting statement in the following:

Blanche Hake, a retired school teacher who is white and is voting for Obama.

When asked how the country would be different if Obama were elected as president, Hake said: "I would think black people themselves and ... the children in the schools, they would have a model to follow."

Another interesting statement:

Leah Moreland had a much different answer. Moreland sat a few feet away from Hake; the two women are related through marriage. Moreland is supporting McCain.

"I don't want to sound racist, and I'm not racist," Moreland says. "But I feel if we put Obama in the White House, there will be chaos. I feel a lot of black people are going to feel it's payback time. And I made the statement, I said, 'You know, at one time the black man had to step off the sidewalk when a white person came down the sidewalk.' And I feel it's going to be somewhat reversed. I really feel it's going to get somewhat nasty."

Just commenting on the bold but I get this a lot even from patients I've seen (I exempt patients due to their unique circumstances that create this mindset) as an African-American I'm quite sick of whites and any other ethnic group using this line "I don't want to sound racist" as an opening statement. First off, people should understand the word 'racism' before they sincerely try to refrain from sounding racists. If its a stereotypical remark that could possibly be taken as derogatory then don't say it less you want to sound like a racists.  Stereotypical remarks as the one in the bold sickens me and this is why I conclude even those professionals in academic institutions lack intellect and the ability to discern ignorant and intelligent comments.

As far as Obama's presidency is concerned I don't see how this white person can make such an ignorant remark. I again say if Obama is elected I'm still a N**** to SOME whites. I'm still a black man before being an "intelligent black man." I'm still considered 'unique' since I'm 26 and the life expectancy on average for black males is 21 (depending on demographics of course). There is no payback for blacks for the years of slavery and servitude. I take the line from Ice Cube in higher learning:

"One a** whoppin does not equal to 400 years of slavery"

That statement is quite relevant. Obama's election for blacks is definitely a historical moment, but it does not cure the centuries of rape, torture and murder. How can blacks get payback when at the end of the day the very people that hold all the keys (which are the majority of whites) still hold power? This is not just for blacks for all minorities and disadvantaged people. I remember reading in other literatures from black psychologist on certain statements made by average white citizens is that some feel a sense of internal guilt from past historical injustices on disadvantage ethnic people therefore, in order to sever their ties to that particular history use statements to signify to the listener (e.g.I'm not racist but) that they don't hold those views but at the same time as the statement comes out it still has a hint of racial prejudice (See bold).

The fact of the matter is all this speculation on what if's to me are not necessary. We speculated chaos when the year 2000 hit and nothing happened. It is better to be optimistic than pessimistic, because pessimisim involves negative emotions which, in this time of financial crisis people cannot "afford" to feel negative.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2008 at 10:54am

Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

So again looking at this link I'm trying to find the relationship between this thread and the link. Allow me to comment further on several key issues:  

Originally posted by aka2x2 aka2x2 wrote:

The charge that Obama is a Muslim is a smoke screen. The majority of those who oppose him do so because of his race. However, it is not safe to bring that up in mixed company and

The link I posted is an attempt to discuss a very sensitive issue in �mixed company� and I therefore saw it as relevant. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic