IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Islam and POWs  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Islam and POWs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Islam and POWs
    Posted: 08 October 2008 at 10:23am
I came across a website today, that talked about POWs and thier rights in Islam. I find it really admirable. A point to consider is that some of the POWs during Prophet Muhammad's time, were personally and directly involved in acts of offence and violence against muslims and thier families. . . despite that, they were dealt with kindly.

Islam perhaps introduced a concept of POWs back then, way before others did. . . I thought I'd share:

Relating how the Companions complied strictly with the Prophet�s instructions on treating POWs, one of the prisoners of the Battle of Badr, Huzayr ibn Humayr, said: �I was with one of the Ansari families, after being taken as captive. Whenever they had lunch or dinner, they used to give me preference by providing me with bread while they�d eat only dates, in compliance with the Prophet�s order to treat prisoners well.�

Another, Thamama ibn Athal, was taken prisoner and brought to the Prophet, who said, �Be good to him in his captivity.� When the Prophet went home, he asked that any food in his house be collected and sent to Thamama.

Later, the Prophet approached him respectfully and inquired whether Thamama could ransom himself: �What have you, Thamama?� He replied, �Actually I have a lot going for me. If you kill me, you kill a man whose blood will surely be avenged. If you are generous, then you are generous to a man who knows how to be grateful. If you are after money, then ask of me whatever amount you like.�

The Prophet left him and on the second day when he approached him, Thamama said basically the same thing. On the third day, the Prophet said, �Let Thamama go.�

They unbound him and let him go. He went on his way, quickly took a bath and returned, declaring, �I bear witness that there is no God but Allah and I bear witness that you are the Messenger of Allah. O Muhammad! I swear to Allah that there was no man on the face of the Earth whom I hated more than you. Now you have become to me the dearest of men. And I swear by Allah that there was no religion on earth more loathsome to me than your religion, but now it is the most beloved to me of all religions. There was no country on earth more despised by me than your country, yet now I love it more than any other country in the world.� - Related by both Bukhari & Muslim.

On yet another occasion:

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) passed by a prisoner who was in chains, and he called out, �O Muhammad, O Muhammad!� He came to him and said, �What is the matter?� He said, �I am hungry, feed me. I am thirsty, give me water.� The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) commanded that his needs should be met. (Narrated by Muslim).

Sources: Islamonline.net
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 10:26am

Prior to the revelation of the Qur�an fourteen hundred years ago, there was no concept of civilized behavior neither in war nor of the rights of enemies. Yet Islam decreed humane rules of war, many centuries before such ideas were put into conventions and agreements in the West.

First, Islam draws a clear distinction between combatants and non-combatants. Non-combatants such as women, children, the old and infirm are not to be killed. Also, monks in monasteries and people in places of worship are to be spared.

These are the rights that Islam confers on combatants:

• No one should be burned alive or tortured with fire.

• Wounded soldiers who are neither unfit to fight, nor actually fighting, should not be attacked.

• Prisoners of war should not be killed.

• It is prohibited to kill anyone who is tied up or in captivity.

• Residential areas should not be pillaged, plundered or destroyed, nor should the Muslims touch the property of anyone except those who are fighting against them.

• Muslims must not take anything from the general public of the conquered country without paying for it.

• The corpses of the enemy must not be disgraced or mutilated.

• Corpses of the enemy should be returned.

• Treaties must not be broken.

• Muslims are prohibited from opening hostilities without properly declaring war against the enemy, unless the adversary has already started aggression against them.

Islamonline.net

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2008 at 6:25am

JazakAllahu khayr for sharing  it with us.

By the way, i hope you {Pakistanis} follow them with POWs of India Smile

We {Indians}, anyways do not follow any such teachings as belong to a non-muslim country.
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2008 at 6:53am
Haha. Sensitive territory there Seeks!

I sincerely hope we do. I've just heard about one incident. .  .don't remember the name of the Glacier, but you know, the one that Pak and India share a border on? I'v heard that when/if the indians attack . . . all soldiers r killed , but usually one is allowed to return back . . .

And the soldiers are alhamdulilah diligent with thier prayers. I've seen lots of photos/vids of Pakistani soldiers praying jamaat. Even on frozen glaciers. . . .with guns on thier side. . .just like how its explained in Islam, to conduct a jamaat during war. . .

Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2008 at 7:02am
I hope you do, but am not sure as media here potrays it in a different way. Khayr, do you know of Sarabjit Singh, held in Pak Prison.and his family pleading for his release ?  I heard that he's now a muslim . Is it true ?

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2008 at 7:29am
I really dont know. . .  have not heard that. But then again, I have not been following news lately.

Hopefully, if this Sarabjit Singh is innocent , he will be returned. Hope so! Cz I do know that both countries often exchange POWs. But then again, we arent currently in 'war' . . . so border invasions arent looked upon leniently . . . usually 'spying' charges and all.

Hopefully all this sorts out soon inshalah.
Saladin View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2008 at 8:10am
don't remember the name of the Glacier, but you know, the one that Pak and India share a border on?

Siachen Glacier. The highest battleground on Earth.
'Trust everyone but not the devil in them'
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2008 at 10:15pm
Yes, its Siachen Glacier dispute between both countries. But you know Br. Saladin, that many a times talks takes place between both countries, but they end without results. Its all for political gains.

By the way, i had a question for you Saladin. A news channel from India, reached out into interiors of Srilankan forests and discovered Ravana's grave. Is it true ? I had a thought that this Ram and Ravan are just fictional stories.

Hope our mods are n't reading. Am diverting from the topic Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic