IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Response to Istikhara  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Response to Istikhara

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Response to Istikhara
    Posted: 01 July 2011 at 4:06am
Originally posted by Chinky Chinky wrote:

Assalamu'alaikumI received a marriage proposal from a guy who has wanted to get married to me for a few years now. I prayed Salaatul Istikhaarah and felt that I should agree to marry him. We were almost officially engaged and wedding plans were being discussed. However, just recently a huge argument had erupted between our two fathers, and my father has decided to call it quits. the guy is determined not to give up and convince the elders to agree again, but my father is determined not to agree to this marriage proposal. i have prayed Salaatul Istikhaarah again a few times, and each time I feel that I should trust Allah and not say no to this guy simply because of his father, because the guy himself has never disrespected my dad. I cannot see any solid reason for why I should say no to the guy, as he is an honest, hardworking man, and a practicing muslim. At the same time, since my father is completely against it, I don't want to go against his wishes. My father feels the guy is not right for me since he is not as educated as I am, but we both have the same Islamic and family values, which I feel is more important. I don't know what is the response to my Istikhaara, is it my gut feeling telling me not to say no to this guy, or is it my father's determination to say no? I have had several marriage proposals in the past, but all of them have fallen through for good reason, this is the only guy who has been persistent in marrying me for years now, and he still is, even though he knows my dad is not agreeable. If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it. I am in such a confused state, I don't know what to do.

Walaikum Salaam wa rahmatullah

Sis Chinky, may be the happenings are response to the Istikharah, right !

If you go thru the translations of the dua made while Istikharah, in which we also say Allah swt that - You know and i know not. You are the Knower of Hidden things". Also we make dua that if it good for me for both dunya and aakhirah, ordain it and make it easy for me and bless it for me. And if in Your knowledge it is bad for
me and for my religion, my livelihood and my affairs (or: for me both in this world and the next), then turn me away from it, [and turn it away from me], and ordain for me the good wherever it may be and make me pleased with it.

As said these situations might be an answer to Istikharah. Allah swt is the Knower of hidden things. So be patient and keep making duas sister. Stand by your father's decision whatever it is.

May Allah swt ease these days for you. Ameen

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2011 at 8:16pm
Salaam
Chinky, you didn't give your location...
Looking at the current state of economy your dad must be concerned about the historical earning prospects of the level of education and other protocols for the prospective son in law...
The experience keeps a dear school and fool wouldn't learn in any other! And your dad has more experience wouldn't you grant that?

The Islamic marriage is a contract and the signers need to be comfortable before the sign off! The contracts are not based upon istikharas!

Did you say he is a mechanic?

The following table gives some guidelines about the prospects!
http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_increased_earnings_income_bachelors_masters_doctorate.htm

Edited by Sign*Reader - 29 June 2011 at 8:31pm
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
Chinky View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2011 at 7:35am
Assalamu'alaikum,
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I will definitely take a look at the books you suggested. My father is a very educated man. He is also religious in his own right. His reason to refuse the guy was 1. because of his father, 2. because he doesn't have a formal university education, however, he does have a decent profession in mechanics, in which he has high prospects of excelling. My father doesn't believe in giving his daughters to anyone who does not have a university education, and he doesn't believe this guy has any direction in his life as to how he will successfully provide for his family. Are his reasons for saying no valid? Jazakallah for all your help.
Friendship View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friendship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2011 at 3:39am
Assalamu alaiki Chinky.

Well, you did not mention why your father debunked.
Depending upon ones' in depth knowledge of the Shari'a, the lady who is matured, educated could propose to her parents who she wants to marry. The parents ideally should consent, if they trust their daughter's morale behaviour. The question is not of Istihara but what the Sunna allows. You can read Ihya' 'Ulumud din by Imam Ghazali Vol. 2 or Kitab tarbiyat awlad.  Parents are allowed to refuse if the husband is not qualified by the Shari'a. They are not to act contrary to it.
Wassalamu alaiki.
Friendship.
Chinky View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2011 at 3:47pm
Assalamu'alaikum

I received a marriage proposal from a guy who has wanted to get married to me for a few years now. I prayed Salaatul Istikhaarah and felt that I should agree to marry him. We were almost officially engaged and wedding plans were being discussed. However, just recently a huge argument had erupted between our two fathers, and my father has decided to call it quits. the guy is determined not to give up and convince the elders to agree again, but my father is determined not to agree to this marriage proposal. i have prayed Salaatul Istikhaarah again a few times, and each time I feel that I should trust Allah and not say no to this guy simply because of his father, because the guy himself has never disrespected my dad. I cannot see any solid reason for why I should say no to the guy, as he is an honest, hardworking man, and a practicing muslim. At the same time, since my father is completely against it, I don't want to go against his wishes. My father feels the guy is not right for me since he is not as educated as I am, but we both have the same Islamic and family values, which I feel is more important. I don't know what is the response to my Istikhaara, is it my gut feeling telling me not to say no to this guy, or is it my father's determination to say no? I have had several marriage proposals in the past, but all of them have fallen through for good reason, this is the only guy who has been persistent in marrying me for years now, and he still is, even though he knows my dad is not agreeable. If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it. I am in such a confused state, I don't know what to do.
abosait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abosait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2008 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by Friendship Friendship wrote:

Assalaamu alaikum.

Just say that you do not know anything about the first 13 years of the holy Prophet's life in Makka. But do not argue.
Friendship.

The proclamation "this day have I completed the deen..... " was not made during the first 13 years of the holy Prophet's life in Makkah.

Please understand that the revelation was progressive and Rules were not imposed overnight. The final verdict on each topic should be understood and followed.

Thus we shall not bother to follow the direction the Sahaba were facing before the Prophet got the message regarding facing Ka'abah.

Nor shall we follow the method of praying or number of prayers which were in practice before the Prophet's return from the assention.

Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2008 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

LOL. No offense, but I think I now know why people didnt vote for you back home. . .  :)

Jiminy Crickets!!!!!
�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2008 at 6:57am
LOL. No offense, but I think I now know why people didnt vote for you back home. . .  :)
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic