IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Woman's head covering....  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Woman's head covering....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2008 at 4:37am
Here's a picture of some Orthodox Christian Nuns.  Without their crosses one could pass one on the street and think she was wearing a chador.

http://www.kurskroot.com/nuns-sm.jpg

I remember always seeing Mary and other Female saints draped in head coverings.

I have to laugh.  I didn't wash my hair the other night and wore my headscarf to work.  A dear Japanese lady I work with asked if I had become Muslim.  Tongue
PattyaMainer View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PattyaMainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2008 at 6:54am
Originally posted by honeto honeto wrote:

Thanks Patty for your reply.
Can you please also elaborte briefly on how one becomes a nun? And what are all the steps and ceremonies in becoming a nun. And why is it that those serving in this capacity have to leave their family life and cannot have a family of their own?
Hasan

Hello Hasan,

Sorry it took me so long to get back with you....I did not see this post.  I have a website which I believe will possibly answer your questions much more clearly than I could.  The sisters (nuns) freely choose to devote their lives to Christ through prayer, meditation, and do not want anything to interfere with this relationship.  If they married, they could not devote nearly as much time to centering their life around Christ.  I believe personally that God calls different people for different purposes.  I feel I was called to be a wife, mother, and grandmother.  Not all are called for this lifestyle.  I admire those who feel called by God to enter a life of celibacy, chastity, and obedience to Him.

I hope this helps answer your questions!

God's Peace,
Patty

"And when wicked men abuse and hate you all because of me, blessed, blessed are you."  ~~ Jesus
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PattyaMainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2008 at 7:00am
Originally posted by Angela Angela wrote:

Here's a picture of some Orthodox Christian Nuns.  Without their crosses one could pass one on the street and think she was wearing a chador.

http://www.kurskroot.com/nuns-sm.jpg

I remember always seeing Mary and other Female saints draped in head coverings.

I have to laugh.  I didn't wash my hair the other night and wore my headscarf to work.  A dear Japanese lady I work with asked if I had become Muslim.  Tongue

Hi Angela!  Thanks for sharing this photo!!  It is really lovely.  It reminds me of something Fr. Benedict Groeschel said on EWTN Live on one Sunday night not too long ago.  He described a Muslim woman's dress, the burka, and then followed up by saying...."now you can see there is no reason to object to a lady's belief in what to wear, I could easily be describing many of our nuns."  So true,  how quick we are to judge others by what they wear or how they dress. Smile

Peace, Angela,
Patty
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2008 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by PattyaMainer PattyaMainer wrote:

Can you please also elaborte briefly on how one becomes a nun? And what are all the steps and ceremonies in becoming a nun. And why is it that those serving in this capacity have to leave their family life and cannot have a family of their own?
Hasan

Hello Hasan,

Sorry it took me so long to get back with you....I did not see this post.  I have a website which I believe will possibly answer your questions much more clearly than I could.  The sisters (nuns) freely choose to devote their lives to Christ through prayer, meditation, and do not want anything to interfere with this relationship.  If they married, they could not devote nearly as much time to centering their life around Christ.  I believe personally that God calls different people for different purposes.  I feel I was called to be a wife, mother, and grandmother.  Not all are called for this lifestyle.  I admire those who feel called by God to enter a life of celibacy, chastity, and obedience to Him.

God's Peace,
Patty

"And when wicked men abuse and hate you all because of me, blessed, blessed are you."  ~~ Jesus

Hi Patty,
thanks for your reply and the link. It is very interesting how through belief someone would dedicate their life and leave what is norm for others.

Now, clear this up please for me. Some time ago I heard that there is a ceremony when becoming a Nun in which much like a wedding the bride (Nun) is married to Jesus??  Is that true or just a fabrication?

Hasan
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PattyaMainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2008 at 6:15pm

Originally posted by PattyaMainer PattyaMainer wrote:

Hasan

Hello Hasan,

God's Peace,
Patty

Hi Patty,
thanks for your reply and the link. It is very interesting how through belief someone would dedicate their life and leave what is norm for others.

Now, clear this up please for me. Some time ago I heard that there is a ceremony when becoming a Nun in which much like a wedding the bride (Nun) is married to Jesus??  Is that true or just a fabrication?

Hasan

Hi Hasan,

No, this is a common myth/mistake.  She is dedicating her life to Jesus (whom I am pretty sure you understand we believe is also God).  A sister (nun) is sometimes referred to as a "bride of the Church", but this does not mean she is actually married, like a man and wife, to Jesus.  Not in any way whatsoever.  It is a "figure of speech" only.  Any other meaning or suggestion that she is truly married to Jesus is a fabrication only.

God's Peace,
Patty
"FOR THOSE WHO DO NOT BELIEVE, NO EXPLANATION IS POSSIBLE. FOR THOSE WHO BELIEVE, NO EXPLANATION IS NECESSARY."
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2008 at 2:13pm
Thanks Patty,
that is very interesting. Tell us more about the ceremony, I heard its just like a wedding ceremony with ring and vows?? does she also wear white bridal dress, or that varys??

Hasan
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PattyaMainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2008 at 4:07pm

Thanks Patty,
that is very interesting. Tell us more about the ceremony, I heard its just like a wedding ceremony with ring and vows?? does she also wear white bridal dress, or that varys??

Hasan

Hello Hasan,

I have this video to offer.  I think it shows what transpires.  It is very touching to me as a Catholic.

God's Peace,
Patty

"FOR THOSE WHO DO NOT BELIEVE, NO EXPLANATION IS POSSIBLE. FOR THOSE WHO BELIEVE, NO EXPLANATION IS NECESSARY."
Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2008 at 11:10pm

There can only be One God, the Creator of the Whole Universe, who created the furthest of the planets and the tiniest of the veins, The One who knows what is the best for His beloved servants. From the time of Adam till now, His laws are the best of laws, that can fit any time and any place. And putting on a veil for a woman, is a sign of His Love towards all His female creations.

A woman who calls herself a Muslimah would always want to please her Creator. Similar like a nun who wants to please Jesus by wearing a veil.

Putting on a hijab is a sign of a woman�s love towards her Creator Allahurabbul alameen - Allah The God of the whole universe. The benefits of this action will not add or lessen the Glory of Allah - He is Self Sufficient. The reward will return to the person herself.

The hikmah or wisdom behind wearing a veil.

AllahuRabbul Alameen - The God of the Whole Universe had created men with nafs - lusts/passion/desire that starts with the eyes (sight) while the nafs of a women starts from the skin (touch). A man�s lusts gets easily aroused at the sight of a woman�s body. Some men love to see the shape or figure of a woman, some love to see the neck, some admire the hair, some love to see the backside, while most love to ogle the two hillock of a woman. Hence Allah Our Creator had given this law in order to protect man from fornication and woman from being raped or molested.

For a woman, lusts or passion starts from the skin or touch. We woman easily get aroused when being caressed, because this is our weakness. Hence the covering of our skin is to protect ourselves from being subdued by our own lusts or passion from any stranger. Our body does not belong to any man. Our precious body belongs only to our husbands, not to any Tom, Dick or Harry to salivate in private. If by looking at sexy women, some men got aroused, these women are committing a sin.

Allah indeed is Al=Aleem - Most Knowing. MashaAllah!

Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
  Share Topic