IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Woman's head covering....  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Woman's head covering....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2008 at 3:29am
Orthodox Women in Eastern Europe still cover their head when going into a Church.  I still own my headscarves from my days as an Orthodox Christian.

Its Western Liberal Feminism and Secular society...  sheer hypocrisy.  My only problem is when its forced.  I loved my scarves, but I was never in danger of being punished by beatings for not wearing it.

Muslimahs in their hijabs are beautiful, I love to see them.  Unfortunately, all too often what we see are pictures of women in Burqas being beaten by men and that is the image too many have been fed.
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2008 at 3:47am
"All too often?"

Sis Angela . . . I believe the only such pictures you have seen is of Afghanistan. . . and I'm sorry, but the majority, esp. the Taliban were an uneducated illetrate bunch.

Even the Saudi govt, which is considered pretty strict, never resort to 'beating' women . . . Niether do they in Iran . . . which again is perhaps the only nation where it is required by law to wear a hijab. What you saw in pix - was an anomaly. Nothing that can be passed of as ' all too often'.
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2008 at 2:29am
Sis Chrysalis,

The all too often was a statement against the Western Media.  They show these images from Afghanistan under the Taliban as representative of all Muslim nations which is pure distortion. 

Saudi does require the hijab by law and does have public beatings for those CONVICTED of crimes.  Which while I disagree with, at least there was some semblance of a trial before hand.

I have learned a lot from my time here at IC and my friendships with the Muslimahs here.  I no longer believe the rhetoric fed to me by the media. 

My issues with Iran and Saudi are more secular problems.  Treatment of foreigners and minorities, etc.  Iran is that kid who wants everyone to think they are tough, but really they are very insecure. 

The headscarf is not a purely Islamic thing.  Its just that Muslimahs find it a religious obligation, where Christians have been taught for the last millenia or so that its no longer required of us.  I find that curious when dealing with my old Church that still has women cover their heads and my new church in which I must wear a head covering while in temple. 

Wonder if it will ever return to fashion among Christian women?
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2008 at 7:06am

Oh! Sorry for misunderstanding then, sis.

Oh, and tho I dont find myself agreeing with some Saudi policies - the public beatings are for crimes done. . . which are of various natures. They arent even that injurious - more of a public humiliation - that hurt the pride, and embarass the perpetrator. I dont think they carry out the punishment unless there is proof - they do have trials.

For e.g. eve-teasing is seriousley dealt with. Which I personally quite like, for it works. A woman would resort to a slap on the face, her partner/brother is also likely to get into a physical brawl with an eve-teaser - to me its the same thing, its just that the State is doing that.

And yes, you are quite right, the 'Hijab' is not an 'Islamic Innovation'. The Hijab has been there since Adam and Eve's time. . . (ofcourse, Muslims believe it was Islam all along the way.) And was practised by modest women in history . . . who were not neccessarily Muslim.

The Japanese culture had similar standards of modestly, just without the headscarf, even wrist exposure was considered scandalous. Hindu women observed similar standards, they covered the head even (tho left the belly bare :p) Jewish women are supposed to do the same thing . . .   I am sure there must be more cultures that share the same standards.

Well, if you can Britney or Lindsay to wear it, I think it can return to fashion among Christian women . . . Embarrassed Angelina Jolie wore one, when she was in Pakistan, visiting the earthquake victims. . . maybe we shd circulate that pic around . . .
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
PattyaMainer View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PattyaMainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2008 at 5:32pm
Many Catholic women still wear the head covering, and many who have not worn the mantilla for years are now returning to it.  I have a white lace mantillla.  The nuns (sisters) for the most part, still wear the habit, which includes the head covering and the full length gown, stockings, etc.  I am a devout Roman Catholic, and I am pleased that since Pope Benedict was elected to the papacy, we are returning to the old Church....Latin mass and all!!!!!
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2008 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by PattyaMainer PattyaMainer wrote:

Many Catholic women still wear the head covering, and many who have not worn the mantilla for years are now returning to it.  I have a white lace mantillla.  The nuns (sisters) for the most part, still wear the habit, which includes the head covering and the full length gown, stockings, etc.  I am a devout Roman Catholic, and I am pleased that since Pope Benedict was elected to the papacy, we are returning to the old Church....Latin mass and all!!!!!

Patty,
you probably would know this then. I have seen some nuns wearing/ covering in a way that you only see their face and may be hands but more comon now I have also seen nuns with shorter skirts, may be just below the knees, more open neck and short sleeves.
Is there a dictate about that, and or who makes the decision to as far as any changes in a nuns' body covering/dress code?
Hasan
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

PattyaMainer View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PattyaMainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2008 at 7:22am
Originally posted by honeto honeto wrote:

Originally posted by PattyaMainer PattyaMainer wrote:

Patty,
you probably would know this then. I have seen some nuns wearing/ covering in a way that you only see their face and may be hands but more comon now I have also seen nuns with shorter skirts, may be just below the knees, more open neck and short sleeves.
Is there a dictate about that, and or who makes the decision to as far as any changes in a nuns' body covering/dress code?
Hasan

The more modern (although still quite modest)  dress for nuns today would ultimately be left to the Holy Father, Pope Benedict.  Although he may allow some leeway regarding a nun's "habit", the order to which she belongs would also have rules regarding her dress, veil, stockings, etc., to which she would have to adhere.  The "Mother Superior" can enforce the code of dress for her nuns.  Mother Theresa and the Sisters of Charity wore and still wear the long habits with head coverings, stockings, etc., as  do the Sisters of Mercy and MANY others.  I think this is a good thing.  Although I have know plenty of nuns who are teachers, nurses, cloistered and meditative.  Some wear the more modern clothing, but even so, they are extremely devout and love our God and our Lord very deeply. 

Patty
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2008 at 5:19pm
Thanks Patty for your reply.
Can you please also elaborte briefly on how one becomes a nun? And what are all the steps and ceremonies in becoming a nun. And why is it that those serving in this capacity have to leave their family life and cannot have a family of their own?
Hasan
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
  Share Topic