IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islamic INTRAfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ali bin Abi Talib.  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ali bin Abi Talib.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
asda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ali bin Abi Talib.
    Posted: 04 November 2008 at 8:46am
Wa'alikumasslam

please dont compare the Grandson of the Prophet (A.S) with anybody...because the grandson of the Prophet (a.s) are the "Leaders of the youths of Paradise" see: Tirmidhi, Vol. II, p. 221 ; تاريخ الخلفاء، ص189 .....thus this is a very inapropriate comparison....

secondly i rely only on scholars for tafseer and translations....i have no right to do it myself....

i will quote on of the tafsirs wich gives this fact:

{ إِنَّمَا وَلِيُّكُمُ ٱللَّهُ وَرَسُولُهُ وَٱلَّذِينَ آمَنُواْ ٱلَّذِينَ يُقِيمُونَ ٱلصَّلاَةَ وَيُؤْتُونَ ٱلزَّكَاةَ وَهُمْ رَاكِعُونَ }

(Your guardian can be only Allah; and His messenger and those who believe�) [5:55]. Said Jabir ibn �Abd Allah: ��Abd Allah ibn Sallam went to the Prophet, Allah bless him and give him peace, and said: �O Messenger of Allah, some people from Banu Qurayzah and Banu�l-Nadir have deserted us and swore not to keep our company. And we cannot keep the company of your Companions due to the distance separating us�. He then complained about the bad treatment he received from the Jews, and so this verse was revealed. When the Messenger of Allah, Allah bless him and give him peace, read to him, he said: �We accept Allah, His Messenger and the believers as guardians� �. Al-Kalbi related something close to this and added that the end of the verse was revealed about �Ali ibn Abi Talib, for he gave his ring to a beggar while he was bowing during prayer. Abu Bakr al-Tamimi informed us> �Abd Allah ibn Muhammad ibn Ja�far> al-Husayn ibn Muhammad ibn Abi Hurayrah> �Abd Allah ibn �Abd al-Wahhab> Muhammad ibn al-Aswad> Muhammad ibn Marwan> Muhammad ibn al-Sa�ib> Abu Salih> Ibn �Abbas who said: �Accompanied by a group of believers from amongst his people, �Abd Allah ibn Sallam came to see the Prophet, Allah bless him and give him peace. They said: �O Messenger of Allah, our houses are very far and we have no assembly or a place in which we can gather for chatting. When our people saw that we believed in Allah and His Messenger and confirmed his call, they eschewed us and vowed never to keep our company, speak with us or marry from or into us. This has proved too hard for us�. The Prophet, Allah bless him and give him peace, replied: �(Your guardian can be only Allah; and His messenger and those who believe)�, up to the end of the verse. Then the Prophet, Allah bless him and give him peace, went out to the mosque. Some people were standing in prayer while others were bowing. He saw a beggar in the mosque and he asked him: �Did you get something from anyone?� The beggar replied: �Yes, I got a ring of gold�. The Prophet asked him: �Who gave it to you?� The beggar said: �That person who is standing in prayer�, and he pointed to �Ali ibn Abi Talib. The Prophet asked him again: �In which position did he give it to you?� The beggar said: �He gave it to me while bowing in prayer�. The Prophet, Allah bless him and give him peace, said �Allah is the greatest!� and then recited (And whoso taketh Allah and His messenger and those who believe for guardian (will know that), lo! the party of Allah, they are the victorious)� [5:56].

http://www.altafsir.com/Tafasir.asp?tMadhNo=0&tTafsirNo=86&tSoraNo=5&tAyahNo=55&tDisplay=yes&UserProfile=0

i just wanted to show u dat i have not brought this up from my own pocket...i never do dat...

so according to the above tafseer, the Wali of People is Imam Ali (a.s).....a superior position than other people..

Edited by asda - 04 November 2008 at 8:47am
Friendship View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friendship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 1:08am
Assalamu alaikum.

Probably in your local language 5:55 could mean so. But in the pure language in which the Qur'an was revealed that was not the interpretation and meaning of the verse. I also understood that to be so in English language. By the way are you tanslating the Qur'an on your own opinion or the opinion of  others based on sectarianism? Do you know the rules and regulations of translating a verse of the Qur'an? Do you know what is Aaman, Qat'iyyun, Zanniyun, Nas, Asl, Muqayyid etc? Have you considered 5:54? Can Allah love one and the holy Prophet hates him? If Allah loves me, is the love of the holy Apostle superior on me than that of Allah? What is the meaning of the lov of Allah? Does it mean following the holy Prophet as in 3:31?
My Question: I have a grandson who did to me what Hasan and Hussain did to the holy Propeht when he was praying. Now if there was anything special to them only, besides others, how could my grandson climb my back, my neck, push me and be my Imam when praying? Now where is the superiority of Hasan and Husain over my grandson?
My advise: You and me should be careful for the holy Propeht said, "Whoever lies against me intentionally (by interpreting the holy Qur'an acccording to his own desire) should reserve his place in hell fire".
asda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2008 at 3:08pm
Wa'alaikumasalam...

the love for Imam Ali (a.s) is not based on any custom...its based on the prophet(a.s)'s own words (sunnah) and the merits given to them by Allah (s.w.t)...infact Imam Ali (a.s) was called the Wali of the People in verse 5:55....
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friendship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2008 at 11:51am
Assalamu alaikum,
Brother Asda. 
It could be so. But which kind of love? The love of the righteous ones or the love based on Arab customs? Yes , based on Arab customs, I agree because the Quraysh said that was because the holy Prophet had no male child and the Arabs regard the first son of their uncles as their sons. We practised the same in our clan because our ancestors were from Madina. I am accused of loving my nephews more than my biological children. On love based on righteousness, if Ali also enters Firdaus, and I enter Firdaus who will be superior?I will reply you on Ibn Taymiyya latter.
Friendship.
asda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2008 at 10:19am
salaams...

can u please tell me as to what is ure final views on ibn tymiyyah...as ure opinion is not clear...

Prophet (s.a.w) had explicitly mentioned the merits of Imam Ali (a.s) to be more than the others..i will give u some examples:

Sheikh Sulayman Balkhi in his Yanabiu'l-Mawadda, Chapter 55, narrates from Tirmidhi Buraida's hadith that, according to the Prophet, the most dearly loved woman was Fatima and the most dearly loved man was Ali. Muhammad Bin Yusuf Ganji Shafi'i in his Kifayatu't-Talib, Chapter 91, reports on the authority of Ummu'l-Mu'minin A'yesha that she said: "Allah did not create any one whom the Holy Prophet loved more than Ali." He adds that this is the hadith which Ibn Jarir in his Manaqib and Ibn Asakir Damishqi in his translation have narrated from Ali. Muhyi'd-Din and Imamu'l-Haramain Ahmad Bin Abdullah Shafi'i relates from Tirmidhi in Dhakha'iru'l-Uqba that people asked A'yesha which woman was loved most by the Prophet, and she replied, "Fatima." Then she was asked about the man loved most by the Prophet and she replied, "Her husband, Ali bin Abu Talib." Further, he related from the Mukhalis of Dhahabi and Hafiz Abu'l-Qasim Damishqi and he from A'yesha that she said: "I have not seen a man more loved by the Holy Prophet than Ali, nor a woman more loved than Fatima." In addition, the Sheikh relates from Hafiz Khajandi and he from Ma'azatu'l-Ghifariyya that she said: "I went to have an audience with the Prophet in A'yesha's house while Ali was outside the house. The Prophet said to A'yesha, 'This (Ali) is the dearest to me and the most honored among all men. Recognize his right and pay respectful regard to his position.'"

while there are many examples in history...i have just given a few of them....

it is very important to recognise the sahaaba because these are the people who brought to us the religion of Prophet Muhammad (a.s)....we have to see if any of them were mischivios and have to find those who were on haq....these categories have arisen due to many conflicts between them....otherwise if there were no conflicts and if the words of the Prophet (s.a.w) would have been followed, there wud have been no issues at all....so there wud be no reason to examine every single group dat existed in dose days....and our job is to see the haq...and leave out the others....

these are not unnecessary disputes at all.....we have to learn from wat happened in those days....follow the words of the Prophet (s.a.w)....and dat can only lead us to a successful ummah....but sadly, due to the works of few... the "islamic rule" is hard to see...and for a fact..today, except one state, all the others are not eve trying to become an islamic country...and dat one state is iran.....iran i belive is not a truly islamic state...as they have some faults...but they are trying....and no doubt they have made mistakes in da process....but still..if u dont try..how can one achive success....
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friendship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2008 at 5:45am
><> i will quote some of his words against Imam Ali (a.s) here:

Minhaj al-Sunnah, Volume 8 page 230:
وعلي يقاتل ليطاع ويتصرف في النفوس والأموال فكيف يجعل هذا قتالا على الدين
�Ali fought to secure obedience and rule the people and money, so how can that be deemed as fighting for sake of religion?�

Answer: I am not denying what you read from your Minjhaj Sunna. It proved one thing: We should not be accusing the people of the Book of altering the contents of the Bible for we equally have altered the Sunna of the holy Prophet. I believed this to be a more serious offense in the Sight of Allah. My Minhaj Sunna by Ibn Taymiyya 3rd volume published 1989, edited by Dr. Muhammad Rashaad Saalim did not state so. Moreover S. Abul Hassan Ali Nadwi in his book Saviours of Islamic Spirit Vol. 2 never portrayed Ibn Taymiyya as such. Some Muslim writers criticized Ibn Taymiyya on issues that are trivial and irrelevant to the Sunna of the holy Prophet. Please read Saarimul masluul alaa shaatimul rasuul PP.418-437 by Ibn Taymiyya edited by Sayd Amrran Published 2003..
I have not read where Sahabas or those who came after them engaged in what we are doing today. 
Read also Adwaa al bayan fii Idaahal Qur'an bil Qur'an Vol 2 P.69 (surat Hujra).
و لكز ثبت كتاب الله لا تزال تظهر رائبه وعجائبه متجددة على مر الليالى والآيام، ففى كل حين تفهم منه اشياء لم تكن مفهو مة من قبل، ويدل لذ للك حديث ابى جحيفة الثابت فى الحيح انه لما سأل عليا رضى الله عنه هل خصهم رسول الله بشىء؟ قال له على رضى الله عنه لا والذى فلق الحبة وبرأ النسمة الا فهما يعطيه الله رجلآ فى كتاب الله وما فى هذه الصحيفة الحديث,
For further explanation of this hadith see الجهل بمسا ئل الاعتقاد وحكمه  by Abdul Razaaq bin Tahir ibn Ahmad Maash P. 270.  Since Ali bin Abi Talib said that the holy Prophet did not give them any honour above others, we better drop this idea of honouring people above others. I do not think one should engage himself in unnecessary disputes about the Book of Allah with those who are not alive today.  Why are we not doing what they did during their life time. Where is the truth and where is falsehood? Who is the Imam Kubra?Where is the Majalis Shura? Abi Jahifa was one of those young Sahabas like Hasan and Husain. He died during the reigh of Ibn Marwan in Kufa.
Friendship. 

Edited by Friendship - 01 November 2008 at 5:55am
asda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2008 at 11:40am
[QUOTE=Friendship] Assalamu alaikum.
wa'alikumassalam

No! The name of Ansar and Muhajirin was only for historical purposes. If the names were not mentioned we would not be able to understand what actually happened. Please read Hayatus Sahaba Arabic version V0l.1 pp. 67, 71-72, 75-76.� For English version PP. 513, 519.

the reason for the Prophet (s.a.w) advising them not to call themselves as ansar or muhajireen is because (as i understand) he wanted to finish of the race system....that no race will be better than the other...only taqwa matters...but as far as i know, at saqifa the muhajireen were considered to be better for khilafa on the reason of their status as muhajireen...

No!. Ibn Taymiyya never said something bad agaisnt Ali bin Abi Talib. Read his Sunnana nabwi.

ibn tymiyya was against the Ahlel Bayt...and not only against Imam Ali (a.s)...infact he is the one source of sectarian violence in terms of literature wen it comes to the shia/sunni conflict..
i will quote some of his words against Imam Ali (a.s) here:

Minhaj al-Sunnah, Volume 8 page 230:
وعلي يقاتل ليطاع ويتصرف في النفوس والأموال فكيف يجعل هذا قتالا على الدين
�Ali fought to secure obedience and rule the people and money, so how can that be deemed as fighting for sake of religion?�

Minhaj al-Sunnah, Volume 4 page 137:
وعلي رضي الله عنه كان قصده أن يتزوج عليها فله في أذاها غرض
�Ali intended to marry so as to hurt her (Fatima) on purpose.�

infact he was unsure about the eemaan of Imam Ali (a.s):

Minhaj al-Sunnah, Volume 8 page 205:
وأما إسلام علي فهل يكون مخرجا له من الكفر على قولين
There are two opinions as to whether Ali's conversion to Islam released him from kufr or not"

thus there is no doubt that he is a clear enemy of Ahlel Bayt (a.s)...if u want his comments on other members of Ahlel Bayt (a.s) then i can bring u dat as well..

Read The letters of Ali bin Abi Talib by Muhammad Ayb Khan Published by International Islamic Publisheers Ltd Pakistan. Ist Edition,�1991.
i would appreciate if u would give me the exact letter number or the topic of the letter so that i can search on it...

Since he died in Syria, not much was written about him. It was one Muhammad bin Sirin who mentioned the story that some youths were present when he died. They heard a voice saying we killed him with our arrows.

i have read in Majaalis Al-Mo'mineen by Shaheed Qazi Nurullah Shustari that he was ordered to be killed by Umar by ordering Muhammad bim salma Ansaari and saad bin abi waqqas to murder him...

if he himself wanted the khilafa he could have rebelled against the Khalifa of dat time as his tribe supported him...but he remained silent.
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friendship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2008 at 2:35pm
Assalamu alaikum.
wa'alikumassalam

i really like ure answers as it makes me do further research...jazakallah....that is y my answers might take time...sorry in advance for future...

I sincerely hope that the members of this forum will concentrate on reading because new books are always added. We should also be cautions because the holy Prophet said, "Whoever says something about the holy Qur'an based on is opinion or out of ignorance (about what he does not know) is building himself a house in the hell!". I hope you will understand also the importance of the Muslim Umma having leaders who are well versed in the Sunna of the holy Prophet. Imagine I am a head of state of my country! The Muslims will be united then as Promised by Allah.

i never said they were disobedient...but the main point i wanted to mention is that how were the successors of Prophet Musa (a.s) chosen...because the camparison (between the Ummah of Prophet Musa (a.s) and Ummah of Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w))u have given is quite beutiful...i wanted to further discuss on it
See the Book of Numbers:13.  I always advice the Muslims to read the bible and ignore the rubbish and fairly tales inside it.  But briefly:
Yes, immediately after the Exodus a census was taken and the Jews gave their population at 630,4000 adult fighting men. About 2 years later, Allah commanded them to go and spy the land of Canaan, the land Allah promised them. Prophet Musa selected 12 people from their different branches to spy the land. They refused to enter on the pretext that the people were gaints that they felt as small as grasshoppers. Only Joshua and Caleb obeyed the command and explored the land of canaan. So Allah Promised that none of those who were matured would see the promised land. The age of maturity for them was 20 years. (for us 13-15 years with the same law applying). Joshua was the older and after the death of Propeht Musa he was given the leadership. The Jews prospered and enjoyed peace and prosperity. They were able to defeat their enemies. it showed that leadership was based on obeddience to Allah and His Messenger and those who disobedied are excluded from the Mercy of Allah. But what are we doing today?  Our leaders are always those who disobeyed Allah.  
are not following the sunnah of the Prophet (s.a.w) right??? that also means at saqifa, the people had forgotten the sunnah of the Prophet (s.a.w) and classified themselves as ansar and muhajireen....i want ure comment on this..
No! The name of Ansar and Muhajirin was only for historical purposes. If the names were not mentioned we would not be able to understand what actually happened. Please read Hayatus Sahaba Arabic version V0l.1 pp. 67, 71-72, 75-76.  For English version PP. 513, 519.
actually ibn taymiyya is not someone authentic at all...considering his writings being quite anti ahlel bayt (a.s)...surely the base of aqeeda is Tawheed....no doubt....

No!. Ibn Taymiyya never said something bad agaisnt Ali bin Abi Talib. Read his Sunnana nabwi.

can u please let me know as to in which sermon the above words have been mentioned...as i have searched these words on the internet..i could not find them in naahj-al-balaagah.....this book is available online...it would be ez for u to show me...
Read The letters of Ali bin Abi Talib by Muhammad Ayb Khan Published by International Islamic Publisheers Ltd Pakistan. Ist Edition, 1991.
it is rally hard to get the books u mention...can u please elighten me as to who killed and who ordered to kill saad bin Ebaadah(r.a).....
Since he died in Syria, not much was written about him. It was one Muhammad bin Sirin who mentioned the story that some youths were present when he died. They heard a voice saying we killed him with our arrows.
Friendship.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic