IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The essence of disbelief  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The essence of disbelief

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
minuteman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minuteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2008 at 9:38am

Two good posts by Saladin above. Allah gives chance to every one to understand things. The truth is revealed to every one in packets at different times. It all depends what one will do with that truth.

If a person does not care for the truth then no more truth is given to him. Jesus (Isa a.s. ) said "To any who has, more will be given..." ,,,  "For any one who knocks, the door will be opened"

The Quran also teaches the same thing. It says " La in Shakartum. La azeedanakum" meaning, "If you are thankful then bounty will be increased for you"

If a person is in the habit of denying the truth then his faculties become damaged and sometime to such an extent that he almost acts like a wild dog. In order to gain knowledge ( a pre-requisite for belief), one has to be gentle soul, thinking, contemplating, evaluating soul, self accusing soul (nafs e Lawwamah).

Edited by minuteman - 01 October 2008 at 9:40am
Saladin View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2008 at 8:41am
For example when Ibn  Warraq (mind you this is a pseudonymn to protect his real name) heard about the Rusdhie affair his belief in Islam wanned when he viewed thousands of Muslims calling for Salman Rushdie's death. Mind you this is an individual who knew the whole Qur'an at an young age and attended a Madrasa.

There are quite a few evangelists who have more knowledge of Islam than most muslims do. Doesnt make them believers. Knowledge becomes Wisdom only when absorbed and used positively.
Ibn Warraq chose to understand Islam from muslims who were calling for Rushdie's death instead of reasoning from his knowledge of the Quran and knowledge gained at the madrasa. So much for his intellect.
'Trust everyone but not the devil in them'
Saladin View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2008 at 8:24am
The essence of disbelief depends on the essence of belief. Disbelief comes as a result of weak faith to start with. A person indoctrinated with a certain belief from childhood, still has intellect to determine the correctness of that belief. If that person continues to hold the belief for any reason despite being unconvinced or partly believing is more likely to disbelieve when given the circumstances. The true believer is the one who verifies his/her belief without bias and accepts it out of conviction. Such a person is highly unlikely to disbelieve, given any circumstances.
Calamities are great testers of faith. Facing a calamity, out of a people of the same belief, for some faith is strenghtened while some lose faith. The former had the answers through his belief while the latter did not.
In the end belief or disbelief is as a result of using one's free will and intellect.
'Trust everyone but not the devil in them'
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2008 at 9:56am
Confused
Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2008 at 8:19pm
Usually when you say you don't want to sound rude you are extremely so. Why be coy?

Until the actual existence of "thought police" is proven, I will not "revamp" my own thoughts. They are mine to do with as I will.  Whoa, I'm thinking something right now....

Edited by Shasta'sAunt - 22 September 2008 at 8:20pm
�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2008 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Shasta'sAunt Shasta'sAunt wrote:

"I'm not trying to sound rude but I'm not concerned what's in your heart S.A. Like you and others about mine. I don't care what you say regarding your belief from the most beautiful thing to the most incriminating thing. what you say in regards to spirituality whether in love or disgust is between you and God. This is the beauty of my belief."

If you don't care what is in people's hearts and minds why start a subject questioning what is in their hearts and minds?

Wait, could it be so that you can try and dazzle everyone with your  "philosophical" musings on what is wrong with Islam? Or just to reread the cleverness of your own words in print?

Not meaning to be rude here.

Let me rephrase, I'm not concerned about your beliefs nor those beliefs concerning personal spirituality. Those are personal matters between you and God. Not sounding rude, but you are the last person to use sarcasm, last I checked you need to revamp your own thoughts.
Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2008 at 12:48pm
"I'm not trying to sound rude but I'm not concerned what's in your heart S.A. Like you and others about mine. I don't care what you say regarding your belief from the most beautiful thing to the most incriminating thing. what you say in regards to spirituality whether in love or disgust is between you and God. This is the beauty of my belief."

If you don't care what is in people's hearts and minds why start a subject questioning what is in their hearts and minds?

Wait, could it be so that you can try and dazzle everyone with your  "philosophical" musings on what is wrong with Islam? Or just to reread the cleverness of your own words in print?

Not meaning to be rude here.
�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2008 at 9:39am
Hayfa,

"I woulssuspect if your heart is not into it, the road will be especially tough going as Islam is about discipline."

That is a good point. Perhaps the reason for the disbelief in part would be the lack/lost of discipline. But when discussing "born Muslims" or, Muslims who grow up in Muslim societies their discipline immediately comes from parents and then outward. This is why I was particularly interested in Ibn Warraq who, knew the Qur'an and memorized it at a young age only to later on in his life, be an opponent of Islam as well as religion in general.

"Which Muslimahs posting here would you say this of?"

I'm not trying to sound rude but I'm not concerned what's in your heart S.A. Like you and others about mine. I don't care what you say regarding your belief from the most beautiful thing to the most incriminating thing. what you say in regards to spirituality whether in love or disgust is between you and God. This is the beauty of my belief.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic