IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Great Jihad ?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Great Jihad ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2008 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by myahya myahya wrote:

Evil command from evil God?! God is pure of any evilness. There is no point in argument if you imagine that the origin of worlds (God) is evil. What else would you expect from a created if the main creator be evil?

I don't know how I could make it any clearer.  I don't imagine that God is evil -- but you do if you can imagine God giving such an evil command.
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Gulliver View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gulliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2008 at 7:22am
According to Jesus/Isa in the bible - Matthew I think. All sin is forgivable except attributing to God that which is evil.

For the rotten, capricious atheist you are Ronny Webb, you sure have a love of defending the good name of God ;-) lol

I got into more arguments than enough on Christian forums for the same thing. That God is not a mass murdering tyrant out to damn 90% of the creation to eternal hell. That would mean that the devil/shaitan is more powerful than God - and that is attributing a good to an evil, and an evil to the greatest Good - and that is the 'sin unpardonable.'

You're a 'good' soul ;-) I can tell by the fruits that hangs from your tree.  LOL  !  ;-)

May the Good God be good to you ;-)

myahya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2008 at 8:14am
Ron: but you do if you can imagine God giving such an evil command.
I say it was not evil at all. You say it was because you state that �commanding to kill an innocent person� is evil. Can you clarify in what kind of system you are coming up with such a statement?

Edited by myahya - 09 October 2008 at 8:24am
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2008 at 3:54pm

Can you clarify in what kind of system you are coming up with such a statement?

Well, Islam, for one.  What kind of system does not regard killing innocent people as immoral?
Mansoor_ali View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mansoor_ali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2008 at 10:38pm

Response to Ron Webb

Your understanding of this event is poor.Let me quote verses from Quran and also its commentary.

(37:102) and when he was old enough to go about and work with him, (one day) Abraham said to him: �My son, I see in my dream that I am slaughtering you. *58 So consider (and tell me) what you think.� He said: �Do as you are bidden. *60 You will find me, if Allah so wills, among the steadfast.�

Commentary by Maulana Maududi

*58 One should note that the Prophet Abraham had dreamt that he was sacrificing his son and not that he had sacrificed him. Although at that time he understood the dream to mean that he should sacrifice his son and on that very basis, he became ready to sacrifice him, with a cool mind, yet the fine point that Allah had in view in making him see the dream has been explained by Himself in verse 105 below.

*60 The words clearly tell that the son had not taken the dream of his Prophet father to be a mere dream but a Command from Allah. Had it not been a Command actually, it was necessary that Allah should have explicitly or implicitly stated that the son of Abraham had mistaken it for a command. But the whole context is without any such allusion. On this very basis, there is the Islamic belief that the dream of the Prophets is never a mere dream it is also a kind of Revelation. Obviously, if a thing, which could become such a fundamental principle in the Divine Shari'ah, had not been based on reality, but had been a mere misunderstanding, it was not possible that Allah should not have refuted it. It is impossible for the one who believes the Qur'an to be Allah's Word, to accept That such an error and omission could emanate from Allah also.

(37:103) When both surrendered (to Allah�s command) and Abraham flung the son down on his forehead,

(37:104) We cried out: �O Abraham,

(37:105) you have indeed fulfilled your dream. *63 Thus do We reward the good-doers.� *64

*63 That is, "We did not make you see in the dream that you had actually slaughtered your son and he had died, but that you were slaughtering him. That Vision you have fulfilled. Now, it is not Our will w take the life of your child: the actual object of the vision has been fulfilled by your submission and preparation to sacrifice him for Our sake."

*64 That is, "We do not subject the people who adopt the righteous way to trials in order to involve them in trouble and distress and affliction just for the sake of it, but these trials are meant to bring out their excellencies and to exalt them to high ranks, and then We deliver them also safe and sound from the dilemma in which We place them for the sake of the trial. Thus, your willingness and preparation to sacrifice yow son is enough to entitle you to be exalted to the rank that could be attained only by the one who would actually have slaughtered his son for Our approval and pleasure. Thus, We have saved the life of yow child as well as exalted you to this high rank. "(Source)

myahya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2008 at 12:52am
Well, Islam, for one.  What kind of system does not regard killing innocent people as immoral?
In Islam �commanding to kill an innocent person� (by itself) does not have enough information based on which one can decide whether it is moral or not. The first question might be �who is commanding�. If a human is commanding it is immoral and if it happens it is a great sin, but If God is commanding then He is the owner and the creator while it might have many reasons that we do not know.

He is the owner and the creator who has totally different rights, powers and knowledge. Everyday you may see or hear many innocent people die of an illness (like cancer). Actually it is moral although God commands to an angel to take the patient�s spirit. Therefore, we can not simply generalize without knowing in which space (and with which conditions and reasons) we are postulating.

Edited by myahya - 10 October 2008 at 1:04am
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2008 at 6:20pm

In Islam �commanding to kill an innocent person� (by itself) does not have enough information based on which one can decide whether it is moral or not. The first question might be �who is commanding�. If a human is commanding it is immoral and if it happens it is a great sin, but If God is commanding then He is the owner and the creator while it might have many reasons that we do not know.

He is the owner and the creator who has totally different rights, powers and knowledge.

If you are saying that God's own moral rules do not apply to Himself, then in addition to being evil, you are saying he is a hypocrite.

Quote Everyday you may see or hear many innocent people die of an illness (like cancer). Actually it is moral although God commands to an angel to take the patient�s spirit. Therefore, we can not simply generalize without knowing in which space (and with which conditions and reasons) we are postulating.

The "problem of evil" is too big a subject to take up here.  All I will say in reply is that "I don't know" is a legitimate answer to the problem of evil, but it doesn't apply in this case.  We know that Isaac was innocent, not deserving of death (among other things because otherwise he would not have been a worthy sacrificial offering).  We know that God commanded Abraham to kill him, even if He later rescinded that command.  We know that God's own moral code would call that an evil command.  The situation is clear.  There is no room for "I don't know".

Originally posted by Mansoor_Al Mansoor_Al wrote:

Your understanding of this event is poor.

Maybe so, but your commentary doesn't change anything.  Killing an innocent person is still evil, and so is commanding it -- regardless of who gives the command.

Gulliver View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gulliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2008 at 1:48am
Woooo hooo.

You go Ron !!  LOL

I love defenders of the 'good' God :-)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
  Share Topic