IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Umrah ?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Umrah ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2008 at 7:32pm

I was busy at an other thread so cud not read this thread.

I liked your honesty Gulliver. You are very frank. Am sure and i pray for it heartily, that as you in search of truth, let you be soon blessed with it.

Regarding you friend, insha Allah, i shall surely pray Allah swt to ease his conditions. But do convey him this reminder that Allah swt, tests whom He likes. These days, do bring us closer to Allah swt and there's a sort of sweetness in this pain too. These trials do also increase our grades and are rewarding both here and hereafter.  Am sure he must be facing it with patience. Why not ! when he is also supported by his very good friend. Smile

I also pray Allah swt to soon, light up your love for Prophet Muhammad. We do like your friend, though we have n't seen him or read him, because, yo u do discuss of him often. The more we read, the more shall we know of him Is n;t it? Likewise, do try to read life of Prophet, His companions -- Take your own time brother.

Apart from Brother {sign reader} link, here is an other one

At the above site, you can click , at other links at the right side and know more of Prophet Muhammad {Peace be upon him}

And thanks for sharing the Quranic link with us.

Edited by seekshidayath - 18 September 2008 at 7:35pm
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2008 at 8:52pm
Gulliver,

i appreciate your interest in learning more about people of faith. I too have ben interested in it as well. And the people who are truly in search of a deeper spirituality. I think that comes from talking to individual people. Less about the great mass of people.

I have never been to Mecca or Medina, inshallah, one day I will go. But there are a couple of good PBS shows on it. Cannot remember. And a good book by Michael Wolfe about Hajj.

And what struck me was the depth of feelings that people had on the Plains of Arafat. Where the people they followed had emotional expereinces. I  think this can happen when you connect to God/Allah and the truth that we all shall die and return to our Creator.

There are many pilgrammages around the world. Oneof the most impressive to me is the people who journey across Tibet to Mt. Kalish, prostrating the whole way and around the mountain.

Edited by Hayfa - 19 September 2008 at 7:02pm
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2008 at 12:11am
Originally posted by Gulliver Gulliver wrote:

Just as a matter of curiosity.  If I wanted to get a good, reliable, unbaised read on Muhammad, what are the recommendations ?

Thanks again.

Ar Raheeq Al-Mukhtum (The Sealed Nectar) is an excellent book about the Prophet Mohammed.
�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2008 at 12:17am

Why not look at it as one would look at visiting the Vatican. You can visit the Vatican, but there are many areas that are off-limits and no-one can enter such as the secret archives, etc...  Not only is the public not allowed, it is one of the most heavily guarded areas in the world with it's own army.

So, you can visit Saudi Arabia, you just can't visit the off-limit areas of Mecca and Medina.

�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
Gulliver View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gulliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2008 at 7:30am
Hello Shasta and Hafya

Thank you for the feedback. I think I have given the wrong impression here. I have the greatest respect for these sacred places, and what they mean to those of true faith - Islam. My friend is a Muslim and has been going through a hard time in his life. We came together for a reason - as all things have their reasons. He asked me at one point if I would ever consider visiting Mecca with him. If we got the money - of course and I'd make the effort to get it too. That he had always wanted to make the pilgrimmage, and he might find some healing and lasting peace for his soul there was my real intent for asking about going with him. I was honoured that he would suggest such a thing to me, realising  how sacred the place is to Muslims. And as we both shared a belief in the same God, I could see no reason not to. I wanted to 'companion' my friend to a place of peace and healing for his soul, as I had known myself in my own life.  I have nothing but the greatest respect for these places. I was a little disappointed, being human :-) - that I could not go with my friend on this trip - not yet. I can't make the 'declaration' as it would be a lie.

Jesus has been and is the model for my life. Till something better comes along - it will always be that way. To date, nothing has. So I am sorry if it seemed I was disrespectful in any way of these sacred places. That was not what it was/is about at all, or my intent for wishing to go, and God knows it.

Don't get me started on the Vatican. LOL ;-)

God bless us all.
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2008 at 7:15pm
Hi Gulliver,

Jesus is quite a fine model for us to follow. Having grown up Christian, I have had nothing but respect for Jesus.

I think it is the same with Muslims in their regard for Prophet Mohammed. For they grew up hearing stories and the examples that he gave.

I, cannot believe any human is God so thus the religious differences. I think it has been harder to "relate" to Prophet Mohammed just because his role too was uinque. They had the same messages but in different contexts and different emphasises.

I remember reading a  book by Cornell West,(ithink it was him..lol) the theologian, whoI think is a teacher at Princeton. And he said something like Moses brought justice, Jesus brought love and Mohammed brought mercy to the world. It was quite fascinating to approach it like that.

Peace

Hayfa  
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic