IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The HolySpirit What Did Jesus Mean?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The HolySpirit What Did Jesus Mean?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The HolySpirit What Did Jesus Mean?
    Posted: 03 September 2008 at 6:40am

Salam to Abdussalam.

Forgive me for cut and paste as I have not much time these days.

Here I got from one of my favourite websties answering-christianity.com.

1-  The Role of the Holy Spirit in Islam:
There are two roles that the Holy Spirit is responsible for according to Islam:

1-  It creates our "spirits."   Allah Almighty uses it to blow into our mothers' wombs our human-spirits.   That is why abortion is prohibited in Islam, because the fetus or foetus does have spirit (life) and it is a human being.  It's not just a little piece of unliving flesh:

"But He fashioned him in due proportion, and breathed into him something of His Spirit.  And He gave you (the faculties of) hearing and sight and feeling (and understanding): little thanks do ye give!   (The Noble Quran, 32:9)"

"When I have fashioned him (in due proportion) and breathed into him of My Spirit, fall ye down in obeisance unto him.  (The Noble Quran, 38:72)"

"When I have fashioned him (in due proportion) and breathed into him of My Spirit, fall ye down in obeisance unto him.  (The Noble Quran, 15:29)"

"And (remember) her who guarded her chastity: We breathed into her of Our Spirit, and We made her and her son a sign for all peoples.  (The Noble Quran, 21:91)"

"And Mary the daughter of 'Imran, who guarded her chastity; and We breathed into (her body) of Our Spirit; and she testified to the truth of the words of her Lord and of His Revelations, and was one of the devout (servants).  (The Noble Quran, 66:12)"

2-  It is used to provide Divine Guidance to the Believers, those whom Allah Almighty Loves and Favors.  It's not just the Holy Spirit that gives Guidance.  Angels too give it:

"Raised high above ranks (or degrees), (He is) the Lord of the Throne (of Authority): by His Command doth He send the Spirit (of inspiration) to any of His servants he pleases, that it may warn (men) of the Day of Mutual Meeting,-  (The Noble Quran, 40:15)"

"Say, the Holy Spirit has brought the Revelation from thy Lord in Truth, in order to strengthen those who believe, and as a Guide and Glad Tidings to Muslims.  (The Noble Quran, 16:102)"

"Thou wilt not find any people who believe in God and the Last Day, loving those who resist God and His Apostle, even though they were their fathers or their sons, or their brothers, or their kindred. For such He has written Faith in their hearts, and strengthened them with a Spirit from Himself. And He will admit them to Gardens beneath which Rivers flow, to dwell therein (for ever). God will be well pleased with them, and they with Him. They are the Party of God. Truly it is the Party of God that will achieve Felicity.  (The Noble Quran, 58:22)"

"Then will God say: "O Jesus the son of Mary! Recount My favour to thee and to thy mother. Behold! I strengthened thee with the Holy Spirit, so that thou didst speak to the people in childhood and in maturity. Behold! I taught thee the Book and Wisdom, the Law and the Gospel and behold! thou makest out of clay, as it were, the figure of a bird, by My leave, and thou breathest into it and it becometh a bird by My leave, and thou healest those born blind, and the lepers, by My leave. And behold! thou bringest forth the dead by My leave. And behold! I did restrain the Children of Israel from (violence to) thee when thou didst show them the clear Signs, and the unbelievers among them said: 'This is nothing but evident magic.'  (The Noble Quran, 5:110)"

So as you can see, Allah Almighty Created the Holy Spirit for specific functions not only on this earth, but also perhaps else where in the Universe where we don't know about.   But it is in no way GOD Almighty Himself.

Edited by Nur_Ilahi - 03 September 2008 at 6:45am
Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.
Abdul-Salaam View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abdul-Salaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2008 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by minuteman minuteman wrote:

A_S,  Please understand that the holy spirit in Islam is the angel Gabriel who is mentioned in the bible too at various places. That is the angel (and angels are spirits) who is assigned the duty of bringing messages from Allah to mankind, specially the prophets. That angel was with Jesus at times.

Jesus was strengthened by the holy spirit, was aided by the holy spirit (please read the first verse of the third part of Quran, i.e. verse 2:253)

That angel, Gabriel, is called also Rooh ul Ameen (the trusted spirit) in the Quran. He is guarded by other angels too when he brings messages. It was the holy spirit (Gabriel) who visited Maryam and conveyed the message of granting her a well grown youngman and gave good news all about her son even before she had any hope of getting married. That is in the Quran.

In the bible also, it is mentioned that when Jesus was praying in the garden before his arrest, an angel came to him and was strengthening him. That means that angel was giving Jesus assurance of the acceptance of his prayer and telling him that all will be well. That angel was also the Gabriel (the holy spirit).

This is what we Muslims understand by the holy spirit. If I have written anything wrong then any Muslim friend may please correct me.
Thank you so much!! that clears it up for me. once agin you held my hand and explained to me. truely i just told my wife of your reply and said it makes the most sense i'v heard on this. i drifted away from the christain bible but remember the event you mention your explenation fits well. it fits well in many ways in other places to. like i said before i'm new and i'm my own teacher. i have no mosque near by ( 50 miles away) or car to get there. no contact with other muslims. i do try to fit things into my old way of understanding. and it's easy to do so with so little contact but i will not give up.  logic combined with faith can be awsome. i think i'll stop putting my foot in my mouth so much and read watch and listen but that dose not take the place of sitting and learning things face to face. 
thank you so much my new brother and friend.

salam
minuteman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minuteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2008 at 5:35pm

A_S,  Please understand that the holy spirit in Islam is the angel Gabriel who is mentioned in the bible too at various places. That is the angel (and angels are spirits) who is assigned the duty of bringing messages from Allah to mankind, specially the prophets. That angel was with Jesus at times.

Jesus was strengthened by the holy spirit, was aided by the holy spirit (please read the first verse of the third part of Quran, i.e. verse 2:253)

That angel, Gabriel, is called also Rooh ul Ameen (the trusted spirit) in the Quran. He is guarded by other angels too when he brings messages. It was the holy spirit (Gabriel) who visited Maryam and conveyed the message of granting her a well grown youngman and gave good news all about her son even before she had any hope of getting married. That is in the Quran.

In the bible also, it is mentioned that when Jesus was praying in the garden before his arrest, an angel came to him and was strengthening him. That means that angel was giving Jesus assurance of the acceptance of his prayer and telling him that all will be well. That angel was also the Gabriel (the holy spirit).

This is what we Muslims understand by the holy spirit. If I have written anything wrong then any Muslim friend may please correct me.

Edited by minuteman - 02 September 2008 at 5:38pm
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abdul-Salaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2008 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Nur_Ilahi Nur_Ilahi wrote:

Dear Abdus Salam,

I understand you are a new Muslim. I say Alhamdulillah.

From previous observation, new Muslims tend to see Islam from the perspective of their previous religion. In your case, Christianity. You use the Bible to look at Islam.

My advise is, you are new. You have so much to learn. And keep on learning. After all the first word that Allah sent to Prophet Muhammad was Iqra! meaning Read! However now that you are a Muslim, you must start learning from the perspective of a Muslim. Using Islamic books as our reference.

There is a saying in Sufism, Know yourself first before you Know God.

Till next time.
Salam.
  THANK YOU FOR YOUR IMPUT . SO ENLIGHTEN ME.  IN THE QURAN 2:87  STATES
THAT JESUS WAS STRENGTHENED  BY  " THE HOLY SPIRIT" WHAT IS THE "HOLY SPIRIT" IN THE QURAN AND HOW DID SOMETHING THAT DOSN'T EXSIST SEEM TO GIVE JESUS STRENGTH?? JESUS(UHP) ALSO HAS A SIMALAR QUOTE---GOSPEL OF THOMAS SAYING 67---  "ONE WHO KNOWS EVEYTHING ELSE BUT DOES NOT KNOW HIMSELF KNOWS NOTHING" I ALSO KNOW QURAN  2:136 "THAT GIVEN TO ALL THE PROFETS OF THIER LORD WE MAKE NO DISTINCTION BETWEEN ANY OF THEM."

Edited by Abdul-Salaam - 02 September 2008 at 1:50pm
Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2008 at 7:04am
Dear Abdus Salam,

I understand you are a new Muslim. I say Alhamdulillah.

From previous observation, new Muslims tend to see Islam from the perspective of their previous religion. In your case, Christianity. You use the Bible to look at Islam.

My advise is, you are new. You have so much to learn. And keep on learning. After all the first word that Allah sent to Prophet Muhammad was Iqra! meaning Read! However now that you are a Muslim, you must start learning from the perspective of a Muslim. Using Islamic books as our reference.

There is a saying in Sufism, Know yourself first before you Know God.

Till next time.
Salam.
Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abdul-Salaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2008 at 6:47pm
  Jesus(p) spoke of the holy spirit before the concept of the trinity ever exsisted. Not just in the cononical gospels but in ALL the "OTHER GOSPELS" as well. Its been stated in other topics on here that the disciples didn't belive, or practice the doctern either. and they didn't. So What is this " HOLY SPIRIT " that Jesus spoke of in everything writen about him?? Is eveything wrong??
  After prayer and meditation this is what I belive  jesus(uhp) was speaking of. 

The inner most of Allah himself. Not a seperate thing or being but the inner most of the One True God . As the soul is the inner most of humanity so is the holy spirit the inner most of Allah.

This teaching was corrupted into the Trinity.

Think on this matter. Pray and Think. 
 May the Peace and Love of The One true God find Rest with You and May That Which He Reveled to His Messenger(pbuh) Be Our Guide. 

Edited by Abdul-Salaam - 02 September 2008 at 12:21pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic