IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Comments & Complaints
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Moon Sighting  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moon Sighting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdeevey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moon Sighting
    Posted: 29 August 2008 at 4:44am

Assalaamu Alaikum

I first and foremost want to say this is a great site and happy to be a contributing member.  That being said, I am deeply grieved that Islamicity.com is wholeheartedly promoting the Fiqh Council of North America and the European Council for Fatwa and Research on their troubling attempt to usurp actual physical moon sighting from the Ummah.  It is a time honored process that is clearly stated in our religious texts.  Are we not commanded in the Quran to say Inshallah for everything we do?  Can anything ever be absolute is the events surrounding the Muslim other than that we will die and be accountable for our actions?  The two Muslim groups mentioned above have contributed great things to the Muslims they represent and to all of Muslim in the West in general but are they really the representing body of the West?  With no Caliph or �supreme� Muslim leader in the West these groups only represent the people who are under them.

So what Islamicity.com should make its disclaimer (below) a little more pronounced.  

�Some mosques and communities may observe different criteria for determining the start of the lunar month. Please confirm with your local moon-sighting authorities to determine when to start Ramadan.�

The not so informed among us will see that Ramadan will begin and end on September 1st and October 1st respectively.  

Giving information about what Muslim organization are doing is noteworthy but maybe also include the information found in websites like www.moonsighting.com, www.islamicmoon.com, www.crescentwatch.org, to name a few.  Islamicity should be at the forefront of controversy and give the different sides perspectives and not be like FOX News is to the Bush Administration.  Will Ramadan start I don�t know?  But I�ll be eagerly waiting to hear what people see in the skies this weekend.

Ma�a salaama

Usaamah

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic