IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hijabi sprinter wins Olympic sprint  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHijabi sprinter wins Olympic sprint

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Male Islam
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hijabi sprinter wins Olympic sprint
    Posted: 20 August 2008 at 12:00pm
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1046912/Muslim-sprinter-wins-Olympic-sprint-dressed-head-toe-hijab.html

Muslim sprinter wins Olympic sprint dressed head to toe in hijab

By Niall Firth
Last updated at 4:12 PM on 19th August 2008

Sprinters have long been squeezing their muscular frames into the most eye-wateringly skimpy, tight and revealing costumes imaginable. But one female athlete at this year�s Olympics is bucking the trend for bulging lycra and naked torsos. In 2004, Bahrain's Ruqaya Al Ghasara, a devout Muslim, was the first athlete to ever take part in an Olympics wearing a hijab.

Bahrain's Roqaya Al-Gassra powers to victory in her 200m sprint heat today. Today, Al Ghasara won her heat of the women�s 200m sprint at the Bird's Nest stadium - despite being clothed head to foot. Al Ghasara finished first followed by France's Muriel Hurtis-Houairi and Sri Lanka's Susanthika Jayasinghe.

Admittedly, Al Ghasara 's hijab is a rather sportier version of the traditional dress. Clinging to her body as she powers down the track the hijab completely covers her head, arms and legs. Known as a Hijood - or hijab combined with a sports hood - the costume was specially designed for Al Ghasara by an Australian sports clothing company. It allows Muslim athletes to compete while still adhering to the strict modesty required of their faith.
Al-Gassra

Al-Gassra prays as she celebrates winning her 200m heat. Al Ghasara, who was the Bahrain flag-bearer at last week�s opening ceremony, jas said the Hijood has improved her performance.

'It�s great to finally have a high performance outfit that allows me to combine my need for modesty with a design made from breathable, moisture-controlled fabric,� she said.  'It�s definitely helped me to improve my times being able to wear something so comfortable and I�m sure it will help me to give my best performance at Beijing. 'I hope that my wearing the hijood sports top will inspire other women to see that modesty or religious beliefs don�t have to be a barrier to participating in competitive sports.'

In 2004 Al Ghasara defied objections from fundamentalists in her village to take part in the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens, running in the 100 metres.  And in 2006 she won the women�s 200m final at the 2006 Asian Games in Doha, making her the first Bahraini-born athlete to win a major international athletics gold medal.

Edited by semar - 20 August 2008 at 12:04pm
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 1:31pm
Congratulations are in order, however; "Muslims sprinter wins Olympic sprint dressed head to toe in hijab" is a misnomer - let's say a bit of a stretch to consider her dress "hijab head to toe".  Suffice it to say: Bahraini sprinter wins.....Clap
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 5:41pm
Salam
But she is still much better compare her friends (opponents).

Edited by semar - 23 August 2008 at 10:24pm
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by semar semar wrote:

but much she is still better compare her friends (opponents).

"But one female athlete at this year�s Olympics is bucking the trend for bulging lycra and naked torsos."
mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2008 at 9:51am

Asalaamu alaikum sisters:

It is about time. I was on the first girls track team for our high schools in our area back in 1974. I was all of 16 and had only been in the states for a year . I wore sweat pants and a pullover sweat jacket with the hood up and it was HOT! My congratulations to this sister and kudos to Bahrain for the freedoms they allow their women to experience different things.
"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2008 at 10:37am
Very interesting! *yay bahrain!*
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2008 at 7:26am
Frankly speaking, I was proud of her. She is not only taking part in her beloved sports, being a representative of Bahrain and making her country proud, but she is also making Muslimahs all over the world proud too.

Perhaps not many are aware that she is advertising Islam to the whole world. A representative of Muslimah who mostly were misunderstood by ignorant non-Muslims that Muslimah are oppressed.

Even though she look such a contrast with near naked female athletes and did not earn a medal, she deserves a a big pat on the back, for not being afraid to be at the forefront in major events like this Olympic.

Congratulations Roqaya Al-Gassra!
Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.
Abu Ibrahim View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2008 at 10:09pm
I must say I'm a little surprised at the responses here. I felt for certain there would have been some fire breathers condemning the sister.

I'm not sure what to think about it. It's not the best representation of Islamic dress, but I sure don't want to hate on a fellow Muslim.

I'll leave it as this: May Allah reward her for her good deeds and forgive her for her bad.

Ameen.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic