IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My mother won’t look at me in hijab  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My mother won’t look at me in hijab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenski70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 6:40am

My family also hates that I am Muslim.  It has been years and there is still no acceptance from them.  They hate my hijab as well.

Were you raised as a Christian by chance? Do you remember from your Christian schooling John 14:6 Jesus said "I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh unto the father but by me." If you have turned away from Christ then you have not taken to heart what Christ said there. Your family did. And maybe they view your conversion as not only turning your back on Christ , But turning your back on the upbringing they gave you? Just maybe. If they believe that verse, Then maybe they are afraid your soul is lost and they have failed as parents ? Did you ever did you ever consider that? Instead of trying to convert them by telling them to read the Koran.

Sorry about that turn signal,I must have fallen asleep.
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 7:16am

Kenski,

I had to search through the whole thread to figure out who you were quoting, as you did not indicate who.  Then I saw it was me.  So I shall answer you.

Yes, I was raised a christian, a catholic to be exact.  I never found any truth or comfort or reason in the teachings of my church, only confusion, many unanswered questions and a glaring "elephant in the room" (their claim that Jesus, peace be upon him, is "god").  I always held a great love of and respect and understanding of God.  To me, Jesus (pbuh) was a messenger of God and an excellent role model for mankind, nothing more.

When I found Islam, I found all the truth and comfort and reason that I had always recognized as God.  There in the Qur'an was everything I'd always known in my heart as the truth.

As for my parents, my father is an aethiest who believes organized religion is nothing more that a way for people with power to control the masses.  My mother was raised a protestant and converted to catholicism to marry my dad.  She doesn't know what she believes and is not particularly religious. 

You make some very good points in your post about how any parent might feel at the news that one of their offspring has become somehow "different" than themselves, has seemingly turned their back on their upbringing and may be "doomed".  However, what you fail to see, is that as a Muslim, I treat my parents with much kindness and respect (far more than I ever did before I was Muslim).

Their complete refusal to talk to me about Islam, or about religion at all for that matter, leaves them in the dark about why I converted and what I find so appealing about Islam.  This lays the blame on them, not on me, Allah knows I have tried hundreds of times to open that dialogue with them.  If they are feeling the way you state in your post (which I doubt because of their lack of religious conviction), they should at least listen and try to understand - they don't have to like it.

Now, surely, there may be parents of some converts who are feeling as you expressed in your post, and if they are, I do hope they have enough love and respect for their "wayward" child to keep an open dialogue and try to lead to some kind of understanding.

As for your "quote" from Jesus (pbuh), as a Muslim, I do follow the way he was send to earth to tell us about - I worship the One True God.  In becoming a Muslim and leaving the corrupted teachings of Christianity, I have indeed found the straight path!

I hope my reply has helped you see this issue in a new light.  When I first converted I considered all those things you pointed out, but, it was my parents who refused dialogue about it.  And I am certainly not trying to convert my parents, or anyone else, I only wish to open conversation so understanding can take place.  Insha'allah (by the will of Allah) someday it may. 

Thanks very much for your input, it was good to show the possible emotions of the parents from that point of view.  Certainly something for all to consider!

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
kenski70 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenski70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 8:44am

Thanks very much for your input, it was good to show the possible emotions of the parents from that point of view.  Certainly something for all to consider!

Please don't take offense to me picking the line from your post.several seemed to fit  what I was saying there. I'm glad you saw my post for what it was. Simply put a possible explanation for the said parents actions. not condoning or condemning them or you. In fact I felt sorry for the parents of John walker Linhd. If you don't know who that is he was the" American Taliban." a Muslim convert. he was captured by Northern alliance troops. Fighting along side the Taliban. He was taken to Mazari al sharif (spelling?). In prison where he fought in the revolt and hid in a tunnel with other taliban. After his recapture his identity was found out. His dad was on CNN repeatedly begging Americans not to judge his son as a traitor saying he was brain washed trying desperately to come up with a reason why. his son got 20 years in federal prison. And I'm sure  is not too popular with the other inmates.

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 9:53am

Kenski,

No offense taken what so ever.  You raised a very valid side of the story.  When ever someone chooses a "different" path than their family, be it religiously, politically, socially, or what ever, there are always two sides to the story.  It is just too bad that open dialogue can't be maintained within families so that ostracism doesn't take place between people who are supposed to love and support one another.

The story of John Walker Lindh is just another sad story of a family who failed in communicating effectively with one another.  There is much to feel sad for on both sides.

When it comes right down to it, miscommunication or lack of open communication is the culprit that causes emotional pain in many human endeavors.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
kenski70 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenski70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 9:10pm

When it comes right down to it, miscommunication or lack of open communication is the culprit that causes emotional pain in many human endeavors.

Has there ever been a more true statement?

ummsaleh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummsaleh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2005 at 4:47am

Dear Sister,

I had the same problem, but over the years things have gotten better. Insha�llah will make it easy for you.

Lost somewhere in the Middle East.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic