IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My mother won’t look at me in hijab  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My mother won’t look at me in hijab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JulAsif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2005 at 3:25pm

Walaikum asalam, sister,

Thank you very much for your considerate words of kindness.  I can say that Allah has blessed me with another day in which I may make better choices than previous days, and Allah is surely the Most Kind and Merciful.  Again, thank you for your support.  I can tell this is a wonderful place for muslim women to come and share.  Take care.

Julia

J.R. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2005 at 5:57pm
Assalamu Alaikum,

Sister Lameese, once again you're reaching out so ardently to give me
more options with my mother. I did write my mother a long email and
expressed some things about Islam and how hurt I am because of her
actions. Before I would just take it and not say much and wait for her to
calm down, but I have to defend myself this time. If she won't let me talk
on the phone or in person, perhaps she'll read my emails.
I feel if I contacted the priest of the church my mom attends that would
worsen the situation. But again, your willingness to help will not go
unrewarded. It's so difficult knowing you have to respect and obey your
parents so I feel I'm trying to juggle things but as always, Allah's
happiness comes first.
Sister Julia, I share ummziba's sentiments. Fist of all, being able to
admit your shortcomings shows how strong you are. God knows I'm not
a perfect Muslim. It's impossible for anyone to be a perfect Muslim and
God does not expect us to be perfect but ask forgiveness and strive to
better ourselves. May Allah (swt) reward you as well for posting. You are
right, I can't compromise pleasing God for my mother's earthly need.
May God bless all you sisters for your posts. You have no idea how
comforted I am by your words. I'm honored to write to you all.

God Bless,
J.R.
Smile
iranhamid View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iranhamid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2005 at 8:37pm
Dear all,

I literally am crying as I'm reading these responses. I am going thur a very similar thing with my mother and others. And God, it has been already 6 years since I have been wearing hijab, and nothing has really changed. And now, im job hunting, and having alot of problems finding one. And of course my mom is pointing to that as the source of all problems. If I just stop wearing it, it will be fine. Alhamdallah, I dont feel that I am in any physical danger, but mentally, it is slowly chipping away at my faith. Sisters, I need strength. I just want to do what please Allah most High, whatever that is. I really want to enter Heaven INSHALLAH AMEEN WE ALL WILL. I just dont know what to do. I feel that wearing hijab around iranians is SO isolating. I feel so weak and "stupid" for being so consummed with a physical thing.

Please keep me in your prayers.
Henna View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2005 at 5:48pm
Sister iranhamid,
may Allah be with you inshallah..

It's very difficult, i can understand you.. Answer is so simple and in the same time it's very hard..

Patient is the only answer for these kind of problems.. Inshallah you will achieve this..

i make dua for you sister.

herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2005 at 2:21pm

Bismillah,

To the sisters having so much difficulty with your families because of your faith and wearing a scarf:  May Allah, SWT, guide you to the way of peace and help you fulfill the five pillars of Islam the best way you can.

After wearing a scarf and skirt outfit or jilbab and scarf combo for years, I stopped because of my personal feeling that it was causing more fitna and less peace in MY life.  I wear it to Mosque.

Now, I will tell you that my family did not assume that I was going to change my faith or anything of the sort when I stopped wearing it.  They asked me, and I told them where I stood and stand.  But then even though they had teased and disparaged me at different times, they had never ostracized me or tried to exert power the way that some other do, J.R.'s family specifically.

Now, my family that I'm speaking of isn't very functional either, but yours sounds dysfunctional as well.  The real problem to me seems to be their assertion of power and control over you.  You are so used to it.  If you don't interact with your family or do they do not seem like the type to change.  I had a step-family like them once.

I don't see why you have to constantly expose yourself to their criticisms.  Is this keeping up family relations?  I think a card or emailor phone call once in a while to let them know they are welcome in your life is enough.

Try to find peace with nicer people right now.  You are not to blame for your extended family, and you can pray for them.  You need nice, kind people who really care about you and your feelings in your life right now.  You're not failing in your duty to your family by avoiding persecution! It seems you've tried as hard as you can. 

I personally found a wonderful lady at the Mosque who was lonely and she is like an Aunt to me.  The small things I do for her make her feel special, and her loving advice warms my heart.  She is my Muslim aunt!  Yea!

And I have met some wonderful sisters on this forum also, Al-Hamdulilah!

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
CatieR View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatieR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2005 at 9:18pm

Salam,

About a month or so after I converted to Islam, I wanted to wear the hijab.  I am still a teenager and live at home with my parents.  I never suspected that my mother would have a problem with it, usually she is very understanding.  She took my conversion to islam relatively well.  The first day I put a hijab on, she looked at me and said what would people think of me and she was embarressed by it.  I started crying then.  For quite some time she would criticize me and even stop me from wearing it.  Then, when I moved to college and was by myself, I started to wear the hijab everyday.  I go home, though all the time, and still wear a hijab.  It is sometimes difficult to do so, especially when no one nearby our town is muslim, and no one in my family, not even my brother, who is also muslim, would give me much support to wear the hijab everyday.  Once I built up enough confidence in wearing the hijab while on my own and had trust in Allah (swt) alone, I realized that it was part, but not a major part, of Islam.  The hijab can't be such a central focus, or it takes away from true faith.  When I am at college, people only know me wearing it and and there was not the question of transitioning to wearing it, which made it a lot easier.  Once I get used to wearing it and I am not too worried about it, it seems like other people don't worry to much either.  You just need some space from your family to be ready to wear it.  If anything is done for anyone other than Allah(swt), you will never feel complete and it will always be a distraction from true faith and submission to Allah (swt).  We have to stand firm in Islam and remember how much worse Muhammad (saw) was persecuted and isolated, then wearing a hijab is not that much of a challenge.

Henna View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2005 at 3:33pm
Mashallah sister CatieR..

You are right specially about this quatation;

"Once I get used to wearing it and I am not too worried about it, it seems like other people don't worry to much either."

MayPB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayPB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2005 at 1:42am

Hijab is wonderful, in fact I wear it, and myself have converted to Islam from Catholocism. I have heard many quiestions and cold stone stares but at the end of the day it doesn't make or break me. The head scarf is just that, a head scarf. It does not make me more muslim than a woman who is not wearing it.

Being muslim is giving charity (host a party for your family) , (bring gifts for kids or some food for a nearby shelter), Being muslim is giving thanks to God, (say grace before meals) (a nice word of thanks to others) Being Muslim encourages us to seek knowledge (can u do the heimlich?) Have you registered to vote in your area ?

In America it's reported that only 10% of Muslims wear the hijab. Some women feel that when they are doing everything else right they will complete this step.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic