IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My mother won’t look at me in hijab  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My mother won’t look at me in hijab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2005 at 10:59am

Originally posted by J.R. J.R. wrote:

Assalamu Alaikum!!

Now my mother and father have decided that they don't want to see me at
all. I was supposed to visit them last Saturday but my mother changed
her mind. We had talked and agreed that I'd wear my hijab to my home
but take it off once I got inside. So I called my mom and asked what time
she wants me there and then she asked if we could go out to eat when I
got home. I said sure, but that I'd be wearing hijab in public. She said
she thought I would change my mind and take it off, but I told her I won't
ever take it off in public. She broke down in tears and started yelling at
me and said she doesn't want to see me now. My father again agrees
with her and no one in the family is standing up for me. I don't know if I
should try to call them or not. Sending my mother any Islamic literature
is totally out of the question now. I tried again to explain some things
about hijab and Islam but she won't listen and doesn't want to hear it.
Please continue to make dua'a for me, sisters and brothers.

Allah hafiz,
J.R.

Es_Selam'un Aleykum ve Rahmetullahi ve Berakatuh Sister J.R....

Sister keep on walking on ur way...u have been choosen by Allah...just resist then the good days are! going to come to u...u just need some time...we are with u with the duas...

Edited by Suleyman
amna_ali View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amna_ali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2005 at 11:54am

Asslamualaikum J.R.

Yes it will really be a tough time for you. It is very difficult to tolerate the indifferent attitude of near and dear ones and especially parents. But it is a trial in your life. Inshallah you will be successful in it.

Sister Ummziba is very right:

"This is really their loss, not yours, dear.  Please keep in mind first and formost that the life of this world is a prison for the believers.  We will go through many, many trials, some which seem to break our hearts beyond mending."

Allah is there to help. He loves His people more than 70 mothers. Strong faith in Allah will enable you to be steadfast and patient in this time of trouble. Mashallah you have a very good example before you in the form of sister Ummziba.

We all are here to pray for you.

MAy Allah help you.

Ma Salaam

Kind words and the covering of faults are better than charity followed by injury. God is free of all wants and He is most forebearing. (Al baqra: 263)
J.R. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2005 at 4:09am
Assalamu Alaikum,

Through your prayers and strengths I will be fine, insha Allah. It is such
a comfort to hear of how others struggled with this and got through it by
the Grace and Mercy of Allah (swt). My parents refuse to talk to me on
the phone now but my mother sent me an email but all she did was
criticize me in the email and blame me for her heartbreak. I just don't
understand that since it took her almost a year to "handle' me being
Muslim why is it that me choosing hijab would hurt our relationship
again? It shows she never accepted me as a Muslim. But I'm staying firm
in this and it's so wonderful to know I have support out there from my
family in Islam as all of you are. God bless.

J.R.
Smile
Lameese View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lameese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2005 at 8:09am

J.R.,

Your mama is a Christian, right? Write to her and gently remind her that Jesus turned no one away, not even a pagan. Remind here that Islam has the same God and the same prophets. It is not as if you denied God and became a religion that did not believe there was a God at all.

I wish I could talk to your mama. I work in Critical Care and have seen the most horrible things that could happen to people. She has you healthy and whole and does not want to see you. I have had mothers that would have given up their own lives so that their adult child could just have another day. Her attitude is not Christian at all and very selfish (sorry, I know you love your mama). Ask her if all cancer patients that wear scarfs around their bald heads scare her too.

I feel like your mother is trying to force you to make a decision about your faith.  There is nothing wrong with the faith you have chosen and your mama is being very rigid in not trying to investigate further. I think she watches the news and listens to stereotypes as her guide to Islam. Be patient. I do not see how your mama can stay away from you for long. You are her daughter. If she does not want to see you right now then let her have her time but continue writing her in e-mails and continue telling her that you love her. Also, ask her to talk to someone that knows something about Islam (but, Oh God, not a Baptist preacher).

Also, try sending her the "Idiot's Guide to Islam", yes there is a book out there called this. It is non-threatening literature and it is short and to the point. Maybe one day she will pick it up and read it. You have to arm her with all the information that you can.

Again, I am sorry this is happening to you. If you were my daughter, I would take you anyway I could get you, even if I did not agree.

Pray.........

Lameese

J.R. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2005 at 2:49am
Assalamu Alaikum,

You're right, sister Lameese, my mother is trying to force me to make a
decision about my religion. You said it. I feel if I took off hijab then
she'd feel I'm not THAT serious about Islam and that in turn would make
her feel better. But me refusing to take it off shows her how much I
believe in Islam and that hurts her. Thank you again for yoru comforting
words. Yes, my mother is Catholic and she's not acting very Christian-
like.

Allah hafiz,
J.R.
Smile
Lameese View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lameese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2005 at 2:57am

Originally posted by J.R. J.R. wrote:

Assalamu Alaikum,

You're right, sister Lameese, my mother is trying to force me to make a
decision about my religion. You said it. I feel if I took off hijab then
she'd feel I'm not THAT serious about Islam and that in turn would make
her feel better. But me refusing to take it off shows her how much I
believe in Islam and that hurts her. Thank you again for yoru comforting
words. Yes, my mother is Catholic and she's not acting very Christian-
like.

Allah hafiz,
J.R.

J.R.

You are right, your mother is not acting very Christian right now. And you are right to stand by your beliefs. You are an adult now and she would throw it in your face later if you take of your Hijab.

Can you call the Preist where she goes to Church and talk to him so that he may talk to her and remind her that Jesus turned no one away. Explain to the Preist that you are Muslim now and that you want your mother to accept you even if she disagrees with your choice of religions. Ask the Preist to interviene. Your mother will listen to him.

Again, I am so sorry this is happening to you. And I cannot for the life of me understand why she is acting this way. She is very lucky that it was your religion you changed and that she did not get a call saying that there was nothing else to do and she was going to loose you. She has what a lot of parents I know would die for.

Lameese

JulAsif View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JulAsif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2005 at 1:20pm

Assalamu Alaikum Sister,

I have been reading the posts here for a while, but this time, I felt I absolutely HAD to respond.  First of all, let me commend you, and some of the other posters for your strong faith and belief.  THis world needs more of you!  When I first reverted to Islam, I decided to wear hijab right away.  I faced SO MUCH conflict.  My family had our preacher come hold a prayer service at my house.  I worked at a call center at the time and when I walked into work that first day wearing the scarf, you would've thought I'd turned into an alien with the way people acted.  Soon after this, Sept 11th occurred.  I was walking to the post office one day, and I was screamed at "Jew KILLER!" It was SO hard.  However, I eventrually got through the worst of it.  I'm SAD, SAD, SAD to say, that after all of this, we moved to another state, and I decided to STOP wearing it.  I told my husband I just didn't feel safe, and I was tired of all the harrassment.  He agreed to let me stop wearing it.  Sisters, this was the WORST decision I could've ever made.  As the previous poster said, it makes it look as though you're not that serious about your belief after all.  And it's like a domino affect when you start compromising one thing, you start compromising another..and before you know it, you're hardly any kind of muslim.  Don't do what I did!  I made a huge mistake and now life is even harder for me.  Be strong.  Be faithful.  Set an example for the others (like me).  I am still digging myself out of my bad decisions.  Good luck and know that Allah will reward you for your courage under fire.  Take care.

Julia

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2005 at 2:30pm

Assalamu alaikum Sister Julia,

Welcome and glad to have your input.  I would urge you not to be so hard on yourself.  Humans make mistakes.  Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.

It is never too late to try to improve your deen.  It is certainly not too late to start to make those positive changes now.  Don't let the ignorance of others deter you from worshipping Allah in the way He asks us to.

Pray with all sincerity to Allah, He answers the prayers of all who pray sincerely.  You will find in prayer and in reading Qur'an an inner strength that will help you to have the courage you need to wear hijab again.

When ever you encounter troubles because of your hijab remember that Allah tries all the believers in various ways in this life.  Some trials are hard and others are seemingly impossible.  Never let that stop your sincere worship of Allah.

Let us know how you are progressing, or if there is anything we can do to help.

I will pray that Allah helps you with strength and courage, Sister.  Always keep in mind: "Verily, Allah will not deal unjustly with man in aught: it is man that wrongs his own soul."  Qur'an 10:44

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic