IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Islamic Personalties
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Your favourite personality  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your favourite personality

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2008 at 5:03am
 Richard and Salahuddin had cordial/polite relations . . .true, but they werent exactly 'buddies' :p . Thats because both were intelligent men, that realised that a truce b/w the two parties would be more fruitful than warfare. Also, because both of them respected the other as a respectable/equal adversary . . . they appreciated the other's qualities. But I think both had such a strong faith in thier ideological purpose, that they could never have been buddies :)

I agree. "Like buddies" isnt the suitable description for the Saladin-Richard relationship. "Chivalrous", I guess. But I dont think it would have been so if Saladin did not have the upper hand.

Though there is a lot of good about Salahuddin out there, by nonmuslim historians, some have still slandered him or shown him in a negative light. They will even go so far as to take his very obvious good-deeds, and taint them!
For example, I'm sure you've heard of the famous horse incident b/w Sallahuddin and Richard, when he offered one of his stallions to Richard, whos horse died during battle ; I was recently reading a book 'Romance and Legend of Chivalry' by A.R.Hope Moncrieff - and in it he mentions authors that depict the incident in a tainted way:

"Saladin...., fiegning a desire for fair play, sends his adversary a marvellous charger, a gift not of generous courtesy but of pagan cunning, for this horse is foal to the Sultan's own steed, of diabolical breed, trained to lie down as soon as it hears its mother's neigh, thus putting its rider at the mercy of his foe. But through the night Richard is visited by an angel, who discloses the Moslem guile, which the Christian hero can baffle by stopping that horse's ears with wax; so ofcourse Saladin was duly set to flight for all his treachery...' Confused 

later in the rhyme, the author mentions that Richard took on 25 of the Saracens in battle, and defeated them, this so appalled the Saracens that they decide to go for a truce. Shocked

'Trust everyone but not the devil in them'
Saladin View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 9:01am
 As a kid this guy was my favorite... SINDBAD! Big%20smile

Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 9:29am

Tongue

Another of my favourite muslim personalities is Malcolm X . . . For such a long time, when I was a kid, I used to think he was a non-muslim activist ! Cz his name didnt sound typically muslim, imagine my surprise when I found out he was muslim, I was thrilled to find that out (the fresh prince of bel-air used to have a poster of him on his wall, in the series :p) . . . I'm so glad he reverted to orthodox Islam later in his years.

Edited by Chrysalis - 20 August 2008 at 9:35am
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Saladin View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2008 at 9:21am
 One of my favorites too and I came to know about him from the movie.
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2008 at 3:00am
As'Salamu Alaikum
How cud i miss this thread ! Stern%20Smile

My favorite personality after Saluddin Ayyubi is Zainab-al-Ghazali

She needs no introduction
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2008 at 12:01am
Tell us something about Zainab -al-Ghazali, Seeks . . . and what is it particularly that appeals to you . . .  I am a little confused as to who this personality is, so many Zainabs in Islamic History ! Embarrassed

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2008 at 2:30am

Zainab al- Ghazali ! I wish every muslimah gets inspired by her. Even you sis Chrysallis. I wish you you to kindly read the english version of her book "Return of the Pharoah". You possess that energy and potential. Situations around you demand an other Zainab.

What inspired me ! Well, she was a devoted die-hard voice of the Muslim Brotherhood and the soul of the Muslim Sisters. She was a pre-eminent Islamic activist and spell binding preacher who lived a life for Islam. She was subjected to the most inhuman and cruel torture and to unspeakable extremes of opression. She was beaten up , flogged, kicked and tied up. Her approach towards trials and fortitude, her energy and zeal for Islam, inspires me.

You can read more of her here

http://www.islamicthinkers.com/index/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=273&Itemid=26

And please do read her book "Return of the Pharoah

It might be apt to repeat her prayer here, which she once made in Prison, raising her hands, she invoked Allah and said :

"O Allah ! If you are not angry with me I do not care {for my predacament}, but Your grace is more befitting to me. I seek refuge in the light of Your Face {in the light of} that which has enlightened the darkness {around} and on Whom the matters of this life and the Hereafter have settled, that Your Curse does not befall me. To You is our obedience until You are pleased and there is no might or strength except with You."

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2008 at 8:46am
Wow ! I just read that link u provided Seeks! Before you mentioned, I did not know that this lady even existed!

Subhanallah. . . I wish to know more about her life and actions, for so far, I have just heard negative things about the Ikhwaan . . . . but again, there are always two sides to a story.

I am surely going to try and lay my hands on that book. Jazakallah for the reccomendation. . . 

its shocking how muslims could persecute another muslim. reminded me of the way I felt post-9/11 . . .

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic