IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Islamic Personalties
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Your favourite personality  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your favourite personality

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your favourite personality
    Posted: 09 August 2008 at 3:39am

Assallamualaikum. . .

I thought this would make for an interesting and fun discussion . . . Who is you favourite Muslim personality, and why? To keep the discussion more diverse, try and mention names other than our Beloved Prophet Muhammad or the popular Sahaba . . . since we all know that they are well-loved and admired. And thus that is an obvious answer . . .

Also, by mentioning other names, this will increase our knowledge about Muslim personalities, which is an added bonus. I'll wait for other answers, meanwhile I'm drawing lots amongst my personal favourites. Tongue

Looking forward to your answers!
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Saladin View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2008 at 2:07am
 Salaam Alaikum,

Umar bin Abdul Aziz and Salahudin Ayyubi are couple of my favorites. The former was a Just Ruler and very humble. The latter's an ideal Mujahid, very much unlike the jihadis of today.
'Trust everyone but not the devil in them'
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2008 at 5:48am

Sallahuddin Ayyubi is also a huge favourite of mine! Star I wish I could get hold of his biography . . . I hear he has some memoirs as well - is that true?

I've never heard of Umar bin Abdul Aziz . . . who was he? any good links online detailing about him? pl share.
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Saladin View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2008 at 6:50am
 As its called, "The Book of Saladin" is the fictional memoir of Salahuddin by Tariq Ali. I dont think it will be a good read, especially when its fiction about a famous historical figure. I learnt a lot about him from history books and was surprised to see the respect he got not only from his contemporary rivals but also from modern historians. Did you know that he and Richard the Lionheart were like buddies (in a knightly way), that Richard offered his daughter in wedlock to Saladin's brother (i hope my memory is right). And its said that in Venice, Saladin was well known that kids were named after him.

Umar bin Abdul Aziz was an Ummayad caliph and a great grandson of Umar bin khattab. I think these links will give some details.

I'll come back later with some of my other favorites, InshaAllah. Hoping to know your favorites.

Edited by Saladin - 15 August 2008 at 7:02am
'Trust everyone but not the devil in them'
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2008 at 7:52am
Richard and Salahuddin had cordial/polite relations . . .true, but they werent exactly 'buddies' :p . Thats because both were intelligent men, that realised that a truce b/w the two parties would be more fruitful than warfare. Also, because both of them respected the other as a respectable/equal adversary . . . they appreciated the other's qualities. But I think both had such a strong faith in thier ideological purpose, that they could never have been buddies :)

Though there is a lot of good about Salahuddin out there, by nonmuslim historians, some have still slandered him or shown him in a negative light. They will even go so far as to take his very obvious good-deeds, and taint them!
For example, I'm sure you've heard of the famous horse incident b/w Sallahuddin and Richard, when he offered one of his stallions to Richard, whos horse died during battle ; I was recently reading a book 'Romance and Legend of Chivalry' by A.R.Hope Moncrieff - and in it he mentions authors that depict the incident in a tainted way:

"Saladin...., fiegning a desire for fair play, sends his adversary a marvellous charger, a gift not of generous courtesy but of pagan cunning, for this horse is foal to the Sultan's own steed, of diabolical breed, trained to lie down as soon as it hears its mother's neigh, thus putting its rider at the mercy of his foe. But through the night Richard is visited by an angel, who discloses the Moslem guile, which the Christian hero can baffle by stopping that horse's ears with wax; so ofcourse Saladin was duly set to flight for all his treachery...' Confused

later in the rhyme, the author mentions that Richard took on 25 of the Saracens in battle, and defeated them, this so appalled the Saracens that they decide to go for a truce.
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2008 at 8:23am

Subhanallah! I just read about Umar bin Abdal Aziz . .  . the second link was very informative! His life is very humbling and admirable! deeply moving . . . I loved the short bio. He is definitely one of my favorites now too! Jazakallah for the link.

abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2008 at 10:23am
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2008 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

Sa�id bin Jubair

http://siraajunmuneer.wordpress.com/2008/08/14/%e2%80%9cwhat-is-it-between-me-sa%e2%80%99id-bin-jubair%e2%80%9d/

This the first time I've ever heard about this brave Man!

I've noticed Hajjaj Bin Yusuf's name pop up now and then, that too in a negative light. I didnt know he was a cruel man! Is this the same Hajjaj, who was the uncle of Muhammad Bin Qasim, the conquerer of the subcontinent?

If so, then the history books have always portrayed him as a just ruler! wow. . . interesting . . .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic