IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Family Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - divorce in the West.  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

divorce in the West.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote layalee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: divorce in the West.
    Posted: 02 August 2008 at 9:30am
As'salaamu Alakum

If a muslim marriage is taken place in a masjid in a middle eastern country, would that cause any type of challenge in getting a Islamic divorce in any other country , especially in the US? Would the individual seeking the divorce need to get any forms from the Masjid in the Muslim country(Yamen).

Salaam

ayisha098 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ayisha098 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2008 at 4:19pm
Well divorce is highly frowned upon by ALLAH(Subhanna wa ta'ala).  If you are legally married in the USA by the Courts; then there should be no problem.  If your not legally married by the country you live in, then there might be problems with regards to spousal support. child support, child custody, etc.  Before getting a divorce, try getting two male family members from your family and his family to sit down and discuss any problems you are having in your marriage.  Only use divorce as a last resort.  If the intervention talk between your male members of your family and the male members of his family fails, then go to an Imam at a Masjid in the country your living in, and ask the Imam for advice.  I'm honestly not sure if being married in the Masjid counts as a legal marriage in the USA.  Maybe the USA would consider you unmarried if you don't have any court documents.  Depending on the laws of the country where you got married, you may need to get papers in order to get a divorce.  If I were you, I would tell my mahram in my family, and have the men in his family sit down and discuss what is wrong in your marriage, that makes you want to get a divorce, and if that fails, go to an Imam and get legal Islamic marriage counsling, and if that fails, seperate for a while but still stay married to give yourself time to wonder where you may have went wrong in wanting a divorce.  Divorce is really bad as it breaks up the family unit, but you shouldn't stay in an unhappy marriage.  I would get papers from Yemen, stating that your legally married there, in case you get a divorce in a masjid in the USA.
Walaykumsalaam.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic