IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The status of the Arabic Language in Islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The status of the Arabic Language in Islam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2008 at 10:40am
Originally posted by minuteman minuteman wrote:

Arabic is the mother of all languages. It is one of the best old old language which is living today.  The language of Quran is very beautiful language. It is mystical. It works like magic on its readers.

The other old languages have almost died. But Arabic is living and progressing.

All other languages were derived from Arabic. I am sure that every one has his own language and will speak their own language which may not be Arabic. There is no harm and it would be illegal to say something which is not supported from the Quran. No need to push the Arabic onto any one at all. Same as no need to push the Islam onto any one.

Let every one remain in their own language and belief and dresses. Please do not try to say anything unpleasant about the other languages and beliefs and dresses. It is the beauty of Islam that when people will join the fold of Islam in large numbers, all people will come in with their own languages and beautiful dresses. The belief will be one but the outlook (dresses) etc will be varied.

The Arabic language is essential for Muslims. They cannot do without it. But to say more than that will be too much and too much of everything is bad. The beauty and accuracy of the Arabic language cannot be denied. Specially the words used in the Quran are like pearls, each word on its correct place from where it cannot be moved and cannot be replaced. There is no extra word too. The text of the Quran is concise. It appears as if more than a thousand editors have edited it (God forbids) thousand times. Every word of the Quran is the revealed word from Allah which was revealed upon the heart of our prophet Muhammad s.a.w.s.

The more any one will read and learn Arabic, the more he/she will benefit. But it is upto every one to do as they like. No need to push anything on others. Let every one take their time. If I wrote something wrong then please forgive me. Thanks. mm

As one who believs in anthropological science I disagree. All human cultures evolved from the ancient cultures in Africa. I believe the African languages (although presently evolved from the ancient languages) are the oldest and thus all languages derive from them. Since all humans came from two (Adam and Eve) from the areas of Africa I'm inclined to agree that Arabic is another evolved language from ancient traditions extending from the African languages. To me, Arabic is like English a language. There is nothing "mystical" about Arabic, but not to downplay what you feel minuteman but that is my own opinion.

I think it is a supremist attitude to say this language is better than others. Languages are elements of cultures and forms of communication. Who are we to say one language is better than the other? The discussion here is the status of Arabic in Islam, not the status of Arabic among other languages in the world. But minuteman know the history of humanity before you say all languages derive from Arabic. Arabic is not an ancient language spoken in the ancient times.

Edited by Israfil - 25 July 2008 at 10:42am
Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2008 at 3:53pm
I think you guys are missing the point in the statement I am highlighting:  because it involves being like the non-Arabs, which is makrooh,

He is not talking about the Arabic language here, he is speaking of being like non-Arabs, not speaking like non-Arabs.  Being anything other than Arab.

There is nothing in Islam that states being like a non-Arab is makrooh, or that Arabs are preferred over others. I have posted an excerpt from The Prophet's last sermon and an Ayat from The Quran which show this to be untrue.

�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2008 at 4:55pm
my apologies
Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2008 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

my apologies

That's it? I thought you'd be all over that statement. It's against the very foundation of Islam in which Allah created us from different tribes to learn from and live in harmony, and it's rather insulting.

Edited by Shasta'sAunt - 25 July 2008 at 5:45pm
�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2008 at 6:16am
I am fascinated with languages.  I have been trying to learn aramiac myself because of the aramaic New Testament and aramaic/syrian words in the Quran.

"0ur first glimpse of Aramaic comes from a small number of ancient royal inscriptions from almost three thousand years ago (900-700 B.C.E.). "

"Aramaic was used by the conquering Assyrians as a language of administration communication, and following them by the Babylonian and Persian empires, which ruled from India to Ethiopia, and employed Aramaic as the official language. For this period, then (about 700�320 B.C.E.), Aramaic held a position similar to that occupied by English today. The most important documents of this period are numerous papyri from Egypt and Palestine."

"This language has very old roots going back to the Assyrians in the Ninth Century BC. Other languages related to Arabic are Babylonian, Hittite (or Hurrite), Hebrew and Aramean.

Arabic was probably first written in the Second and Third Centuries, the Lakhmides tribe in Southern Mesopotamia. "

Edited by believer - 26 July 2008 at 6:18am
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2008 at 12:43pm
S.A you said:

"I think you guys are missing the point in the statement I am highlighting:  because it involves being like the non-Arabs, which is makrooh,

He is not talking about the Arabic language here, he is speaking of being like non-Arabs, not speaking like non-Arabs.  Being anything other than Arab.

There is nothing in Islam that states being like a non-Arab is makrooh, or that Arabs are preferred over others. I have posted an excerpt from The Prophet's last sermon and an Ayat from The Quran which show this to be untrue."

and:

That's it? I thought you'd be all over that statement. It's against the very foundation of Islam in which Allah created us from different tribes to learn from and live in harmony, and it's rather insulting. "

I am in total agreement with you. However because of recent circumstances I'm unable to even try to rationalize such a narrow, shallow, ethnocentric as well as racists view.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic