IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > GREEN Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 13 yr oldGirl Who Silenced the World for 5 Minutes  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

13 yr oldGirl Who Silenced the World for 5 Minutes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 13 yr oldGirl Who Silenced the World for 5 Minutes
    Posted: 23 July 2008 at 2:02pm
Amazing speech given by Severn Suzuki speaking in  Rio de Janeiro at the Earth Summit Forum in 1992.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZsDliXzyAY

Edited by love - 23 July 2008 at 2:03pm
love View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2008 at 2:10pm
RISING STAR: When she was 12, Cullis-Suzuki and three Vancouver schoolmates raised money to go to the Rio Earth Summit. Her speech to delegates, above, had such an impact that she became a frequent invitee to U.N. conferences. Now 22, with a B.S. in biology from Yale University, she will be in Johannesburg as a member of Kofi Annan's World Summit advisory panel

By SEVERN CULLIS-SUZUKI

Posted Sunday, August 18, 2002; 7:31 a.m. EST
When you are little, it's not hard to believe you can change the world. I remember my enthusiasm when, at the age of 12, I addressed the delegates at the Rio Earth Summit. "I am only a child," I told them. "Yet I know that if all the money spent on war was spent on ending poverty and finding environmental answers, what a wonderful place this would be. In school you teach us not to fight with others, to work things out, to respect others, to clean up our mess, not to hurt other creatures, to share, not be greedy. Then why do you go out and do the things you tell us not to do? You grownups say you love us, but I challenge you, please, to make your actions reflect your words."

I spoke for six minutes and received a standing ovation. Some of the delegates even cried. I thought that maybe I had reached some of them, that my speech might actually spur action. Now, a decade from Rio, after I've sat through many more conferences, I'm not sure what has been accomplished. My confidence in the people in power and in the power of an individual's voice to reach them has been deeply shaken.

Sure, I've seen some improvements since Rio. In my home city of Vancouver, most people put out their recycling boxes. The organic grocery and caf� on Fourth Avenue is flourishing. Bikes are popular, and there are a few gas-electric hybrid cars gliding around. But as this new century begins, my twentysomething generation is becoming increasingly disconnected from the natural world. We buy our drinking water in bottles. We eat genetically modified organisms. We drive the biggest cars ever. At the same time, we are a generation aware of the world�of poverty and social imbalance, the loss of biodiversity, climate change and the consequences of globalization�but many of us feel we have inherited problems too great to do anything about.

When I was little, the world was simple. But as a young adult, I'm learning that as we have to make choices�education, career, lifestyle�life gets more and more complicated. We are beginning to feel pressure to produce and be successful. We are learning a shortsighted way of looking at the future, focusing on four-year government terms and quarterly business reports. We are taught that economic growth is progress, but we aren't taught how to pursue a happy, healthy or sustainable way of living. And we are learning that what we wanted for our future when we were 12 was idealistic and naive.

We are not cleaning up our own mess or facing up to the price of our lifestyles

Today I'm no longer a child, but I'm worried about what kind of environment my children will grow up in. In Johannesburg the delegates will discuss the adoption and implementation of documents by governments. Yes, important stuff. But they did that at Rio. What this meeting must really be about is responsibility�not only government responsibility but personal responsibility. We are not cleaning up our own mess. We are not facing up to the price of our lifestyles. In Canada we know we are wiping out the salmon of the West Coast, just as we wiped out cod from the East Coast, but we continue overfishing. We keep driving our SUVs in the city, even though we are starting to feel the effects of climate change�a direct result of burning too much fossil fuel.

Real environmental change depends on us. We can't wait for our leaders. We have to focus on what our own responsibilities are and how we can make the change happen.

Before graduating from college last spring I worked with the Yale Student Environmental Coalition to draft a pledge for young people to sign. Called the Recognition of Responsibility, the pledge is a commitment from our generation to be accountable and a challenge to our elders to help us achieve this goal and to lead by example. It includes a list of ways to live more sustainably�simple but fundamental things like reducing household garbage, consuming less, not relying on cars so much, eating locally grown food, carrying a reusable cup and, most important, getting out into nature. (For the full text, go to www.skyfishproject.org.) Three friends and I will take the Recognition of Responsibility to Johannesburg, where we will meet with South African students and then present the pledge to the World Summit as a demonstration of personal commitment.

But in the 10 years since Rio, I have learned that addressing our leaders is not enough. As Gandhi said many years ago, "We must become the change we want to see." I know change is possible, because I am changing, still figuring out what I think. I am still deciding how to live my life. The challenges are great, but if we accept individual responsibility and make sustainable choices, we will rise to the challenges, and we will become part of the positive tide of change.

Edited by love - 17 September 2008 at 2:21pm
love View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2008 at 2:16pm
Severn has been involved in social and ecological issues all her life, and is passionate about encouraging young people to speak out for their future. She is pursuing a Master's project in ethnoecology which draws on perspectives she has been exposed to all her life -- the natural world, traditional beliefs, science, societal trends and the politics of interests on the Northwest Coast. She believes her pursuit of traditional and scientific understanding will help her promote a culture of diversity, sustainability and joy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic