IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What do arabic Christians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login


What do arabic Christians

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message
believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group


Joined: 08 January 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 1397
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do arabic Christians
    Posted: 06 July 2008 at 7:16am
call Jesus?  WHy do Muslims call Him by Isa?  Where did Isa come from?
 
 
The Anglicized name of Jesus is derived from the Latin Iēsus, which in turn comes from the Greek Ἰησοῦς (Iēsoűs).[2] The Qur'anic reference as 'Isa has puzzled Western scholars and several theories have been proposed.[2] One theory is that "y-sh-' , the Hebrew consonants of Yeshua, have been reversed to give 's-y, the Arabic consonants of `Īsā."[2] Another theory, according to the Encyclopedia of the Qur'an, is that "the Jews called Jesus "Esau" (Hebrew 'Esaw) out of hatred and that Muhammad learned this name from them not realizing that it was an insult." In support of this is the argument that the Arabic Esau is written as 'Isu, and that this may have been assimilated to `Īsā. Opposing this theory is the lack of evidence that the Jews ever called Jesus Esau. Further, a passage in the Quran charges Jews for insulting Jesus' mother [Qur'an 4:156] and that those Christians who were acquaintances of Muhammad would have corrected him had Muhammad not realized that it is a Jewish insult to Jesus.[2]

A third theory is that the Qur'an deliberately used the word `Īsā to assimilate it to Musa (Moses) because they were sometimes paired. This also occurs in some modern languages, such as Slovak (Ježiš - Mojžiš) or Czech (Ježíš - Mojžíš). Other examples of assonant pairs include Ṭālūt-Ḏj̲ālūt (Saul and Goliath), Yād̲j̲ūdj-Mād̲j̲ūd̲j̲ (Gog and Magog), and so on.[2] The last theory is that Christians in Arabia had coined the term `Īsā from the Syriac forms of Yeshu or Ishu. The Arabic words that are borrowed from Aramaic or Syriac are often employed by 'ayn . Furthermore, the Manichaean fragments provide an evidence for dropping the final 'ayin of the borrowed Hebrew terms. But there is no evidence that the term `Īsā had been in use in pre-Islamic times. "There is however a monastery in Syria known as `Īsāniyya as early as 571 C.E."[2]

John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group


Joined: 08 January 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 1397
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2008 at 6:22pm
Any one have any other ideas about this use of Isa in the Quran?
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Back to Top
Nazarene View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 05 September 2008
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 298
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nazarene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2008 at 5:10am
Originally posted by believer believer wrote:

Any one have any other ideas about this use of Isa in the Quran?
well the tibetian gospel calls him Issa. read the complete gospel at the link below.
 
http://www.essene.com/Issa.htm
love for all conquers all
Back to Top
_ALI_ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 17 February 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 76
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _ALI_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2008 at 12:27am
Salam
Argument regarding the name of Jesus is given by Shiekh Ahmed Deedat

Eesa Latinised to "Jesus"

The Holy Quran refers to Jesus as Eesa, and this name is used more times than any other title, because this was his "Christian" name. Actually, his proper name was Eesa (Arabic), or Esau (Hebrew); classical Yeheshua, which the Christian nations of the West latinised as Jesus. Neither the "J" nor the second "s" in the name Jesus is to be found in the original tongue - they are not found in the Semitic languages.

The word is very simply "E S A U" a very common Jewish name, used more than sixty times in the very first booklet alone of the Bible, in the part called "Genesis". There was at least one "Jesus" sitting on the "bench" at the trial of Jesus before the Sanhedrin. Josephus the Jewish historian mentions some twenty five Jesus' in his "Book of Antiquities". The New Testament speaks of "Bar-Jesus" a magician and a sorcerer, a false prophet (Acts 13:6); and also "Jesus-Justus" a Christian missionary, a contemporary of Paul (Colossians 4:11). These are distinct from Jesus the son of Mary. Transforming "Esau" to (J)esu(s) - Jesus - makes it unique. This unique (?) name has gone out of currency among the Jews and the Christians from the 2nd century after Christ. Among the Jews, because it came to be a name of ill - repute, the name of one who blasphemed in Jewry; and among the Christians because it came to be the proper name of their God. The Muslim will not hesitate to name his son Eesa because it is an honored name, the name of a righteous servant of the Lord.

SOURCE http://www.jamaat.net/cis/ChristInIslam.html
Back to Top
Mansoor_ali View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior  Member


Joined: 25 September 2008
Location: Pakistan
Status: Offline
Points: 584
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mansoor_ali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2008 at 7:59am
Originally posted by believer believer wrote:

call Jesus?  WHy do Muslims call Him by Isa?  Where did Isa come from?
 
 
The Anglicized name of Jesus is derived from the Latin Iēsus, which in turn comes from the Greek Ἰησοῦς (Iēsoűs).[2] The Qur'anic reference as 'Isa has puzzled Western scholars and several theories have been proposed.[2] One theory is that "y-sh-' , the Hebrew consonants of Yeshua, have been reversed to give 's-y, the Arabic consonants of `Īsā."[2] Another theory, according to the Encyclopedia of the Qur'an, is that "the Jews called Jesus "Esau" (Hebrew 'Esaw) out of hatred and that Muhammad learned this name from them not realizing that it was an insult." In support of this is the argument that the Arabic Esau is written as 'Isu, and that this may have been assimilated to `Īsā. Opposing this theory is the lack of evidence that the Jews ever called Jesus Esau. Further, a passage in the Quran charges Jews for insulting Jesus' mother [Qur'an 4:156] and that those Christians who were acquaintances of Muhammad would have corrected him had Muhammad not realized that it is a Jewish insult to Jesus.[2]

A third theory is that the Qur'an deliberately used the word `Īsā to assimilate it to Musa (Moses) because they were sometimes paired. This also occurs in some modern languages, such as Slovak (Ježiš - Mojžiš) or Czech (Ježíš - Mojžíš). Other examples of assonant pairs include Ṭālūt-Ḏj̲ālūt (Saul and Goliath), Yād̲j̲ūdj-Mād̲j̲ūd̲j̲ (Gog and Magog), and so on.[2] The last theory is that Christians in Arabia had coined the term `Īsā from the Syriac forms of Yeshu or Ishu. The Arabic words that are borrowed from Aramaic or Syriac are often employed by 'ayn . Furthermore, the Manichaean fragments provide an evidence for dropping the final 'ayin of the borrowed Hebrew terms. But there is no evidence that the term `Īsā had been in use in pre-Islamic times. "There is however a monastery in Syria known as `Īsāniyya as early as 571 C.E."[2]



 

The Name of Jesus (pbuh)

A Refutation to Quennel Gale's Article "Is Jesus the ISA of Islam?"

Back to Top
honeto View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior  Member
Avatar

Joined: 20 March 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 2487
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2008 at 6:55pm
believer,
what you put forward are theories, according to yourself, and that 's what they really are.
As far as facts, all I can say is that Quran is a fact. "Jesus" is a European version of 'Eessa'   just like 'Gibraltor' is for 'Jable ut Tariq' or 'Al Qeemyyah' turned into 'Chemistry'.
Throughout the East, where Jesus was born and lived both Muslims and Christians may name their sons, Eessa not 'Jesus' to this day.
 
Hasan


Edited by honeto - 04 December 2008 at 6:58pm
39:64 Proclaim: Is it some one other than God that you order me to worship, O you ignorant ones?"
Back to Top
Angela View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior  Member


Joined: 11 July 2005
Status: Offline
Points: 2555
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2008 at 12:45pm
Believer....you are aware that Jesus is not his name?

Jesus was Yeshua...Yeshua is anglecized to Joshua .

They call Abraham, Ibrahim. I have seen Isaac spelled a number of ways by the Jews.

Jesus is just as must a change as Isa would be from the original Yeshua.

Edited by Angela - 05 December 2008 at 12:46pm
Back to Top
honeto View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior  Member
Avatar

Joined: 20 March 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 2487
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2008 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Angela Angela wrote:

Believer....you are aware that Jesus is not his name?

Jesus was Yeshua...Yeshua is anglecized to Joshua .

They call Abraham, Ibrahim. I have seen Isaac spelled a number of ways by the Jews.

Jesus is just as must a change as Isa would be from the original Yeshua.
 
Angela,
is there anything to prove that prophet Essa's (pbuh) name was 'Yeshua'. As I said I know that the followers of Jesus in all of the East, as well as many Muslims name somtimes their sons Essa and not 'Yeshua' as far as I know.
Hasan


Edited by honeto - 11 December 2008 at 5:10pm
39:64 Proclaim: Is it some one other than God that you order me to worship, O you ignorant ones?"
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd.