IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Dead Sea Scrolls  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Dead Sea Scrolls

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Dead Sea Scrolls
    Posted: 23 June 2008 at 8:16am
Since no one is making a thread for it, I have now Smile

Go for it....Smile
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2008 at 7:32am
The Dead Sea Scrolls are very important documents that can shed light to the three Abrahamic religions namely, Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

It was first found in 1947 and until now, not many people knew about it.

The question is why the secrecy?
Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2008 at 2:34am
Originally posted by Nur_Ilahi Nur_Ilahi wrote:

what makes you think they are in the hands of the jews?

Because I believe they are not in the hands of the Muslims.

I see. 

Quote What makes you think that the experts aren't analysing them ?

Of course I know the experts are analysing them. But the question is for how long? These manuscripts were found in 1947 - way before I was even born, and yet, they have not finished analysing them? Why and what took them so long?

Well some of the reason why they are not finished analysizing them is that there are pieces that are missing, since those who found them were not exactly in the no how, that the documents were important and used them to fuel fire, hence some pieces are missing. And then there is the language, very few know the language it is written in, and some words are hard to decipher what they mean, and the context that they use.

Wouldn't you want the manuscripts to be of sound explanation in its proper context for cross referrencing with scriptures? And don't you want those who are experts/extensive knowledge in the fields (and there is a few fileds for this) to be doing their job as correctly as possible no matter how long it takes ? A lot of it is in fragments and its like piecing a very hard jigsaw puzzles especially if you do not know what you are looking for.

I'm sure you have searched the net for & about the scrolls, some parts are online. 

Why the secrecy? I don't think there is any secrecy its just that works on the scrolls are not in your face. 

Edited by Angel - 25 June 2008 at 2:35am
Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2008 at 5:57am

Angel,

Perhaps you have never read the Dead Sea Scrolls from the perspective of a Muslim.

I would like to quote what I read -

"According to the dominant view in the sectarian texts from Qumran, two messiahs were to lead the congregation in the End of Days, one priestly, and the other lay" (Reclaiming the Dead Sea Scrolls, Lawrence H. Schiffman, pp. 321-322).

The Jews had prophesies of two messiahs. The first was best known to them for his "religious" or "priestly" works which he would perform. The second was best known to them for his "kingly" works; his bringing of an epoch of peace.

These two prophesies refer to Jesus (peace be upon him) and Muhammad . Jesus (peace be upon him) was best know for his "priestly" works. However, he never lead an army, and he never established a kingdom or a government. Quite the opposite, he called to peace and submissiveness and to leave the rule of the land to others (Matthew 22:21). He told his followers that he yet had many things to teach them but they could not bear them yet and that another would be coming after him who would teach them the complete truth (John 16:7-14).

Muhammad too began his ministry preaching submissiveness and passiveness. However, his ministry was nurtured by God almighty to a point where it was able to defend itself and establish justice in the earth and abolish evil. His followers fought several wars in self defence and against injustice. The Islamic empire finally stretched from China to Spain and even those who did not follow Muhammad knew him well. However, what did they know him for? They knew him for his "kingly" actions and not for the "priestly" side of him that his followers knew."

Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 9:42am
The Jews rejected Jesus as a messiah.

"According to the dominant view in the sectarian texts from Qumran, two messiahs were to lead the congregation in the End of Days, one priestly, and the other lay" (Reclaiming the Dead Sea Scrolls, Lawrence H. Schiffman, pp. 321-322)."

This sounds a bit like Revelations.
The Ends of Days was not Muhammed's time.
robin View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 10:19am
Originally posted by Angel Angel wrote:

Since no one is making a thread for it, I have now Smile

Go for it....Smile

Evidence that the name was being tampered with at an early date around 3rd century A.D.  has now come to light in the Dead Sea Scrolls, discovered during the years 1947-1953. These scrolls take us back earlier than the time of Christ, and the Isaiah Scroll shows that scribes were making substitutions for Jehovah�s name (YHWH, יהוה in the Hebrew) even at that time. As an example, the text of Isaiah 3:16-20, illustrated on page 1256 of Douglas� New Bible Dictionary, shows scribal alterations of �adonay (אדוני) to YHWH (יהוה), and of YHWH to �adonay. Evidently the text had already been tampered with, and the scribe was in doubt as to whether the divine name should be used in these places. The bulk of testimony of the ancient manuscripts is that Jehovah�s name rightly appears in both instances.

believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2008 at 6:38am
http://www.sdnhm.org/scrolls/

The San Diego Natural History Museum's exhibition Dead Sea Scrolls is the largest and most comprehensive exhibition of Dead Sea Scrolls ever assembled. Twenty-four Dead Sea Scrolls�10 exhibited for the first time ever will be on display over the course of the exhibition. Created by the Museum, this exhibition will not travel. Read what the experts have to say.

Currently, 15 Dead Sea Scrolls are on display, including the oldest manuscript containing the Ten Commandments and a section of the Copper Scroll, the only scroll written on copper.

The Dead Sea Scrolls�objects of great mystery, intrigue and significance, are widely acknowledged to be among the greatest archaeological treasures ever discovered. The scrolls link us to the ancient Middle East and to the formative years of Rabbinic Judaism and Christianity. Learn more about the history of the scrolls here.

This exhibition contains:

• Authentic Dead Sea Scrolls, fully interpreted with translation of text and background information
  • Authentic artifacts and original excavation equipment
  • Panoramic photography
  • Scientific exploration

Ancient Qumran: A Virtual Reality Tour in the Museums Charmaine and Maurice Kaplan Theater, an audio tour, and all other exhibitions are included in Dead Sea Scrolls admission.

John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
gregpitt View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregpitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2014 at 1:40am
Thanks for links. With regards to old texts, the Dead Sea Scrolls are considered one of the most important historical texts discovered in the last couple of generations. The biggest variety of Dead Sea Scrolls has been stored in the Israel Museum. The museum has faced criticism about the restricted access they supply to the documents. Now, global admittance to the documents is being offered online. The Israel Museum and Google have partnered to supply the access to these documents. Read more on Digitized Dead Sea Scrolls providing worldwide access.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic