IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > Current Events
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - No One in America is Safe  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No One in America is Safe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salams_wife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2008 at 10:49pm
Hey Whisper, I like my square grid streets.  Its easier to not get lost.  Anytime I am in a city that doesn't have them it drives me crazy, literally.  Don't knock the streets, please.
Whisper View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whisper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2008 at 2:55am

Hey Whisper, I like my square grid streets.  Its easier to not get lost.  Anytime I am in a city that doesn't have them it drives me crazy, literally.  Don't knock the streets, please.

Hola!

I know, I love them too. Absolutely straightforward negotiation! Though, I love being lost as I always do, say, in the Jewish quarter of Cordoba. I also love all those dusty winding street we find in Farsi poetry.

I think I should stop blaming the poor streets.

Perhaps the straight narowness of Americanism is founded on the sheer fact that we swear allegiance to a piece of cloth, with stars and stripes. That becomes the most important thing of our lives, it turns into the very basis of our life and thinking.

Humanity and the rest of the world can go to hell.

In fact, it ceases to exist for us.

Shall we call it sublime nationalism? Or patriotism almost bordring on criminality?

Salams_wife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salams_wife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2008 at 9:52am
I think it has a lot to do with the isolation factor.  Many people don't care because everywhere else seems so far away.  All the time I point out even the simplest known facts around the world and people look at me like "how did you know that"?  I think don't you read, watch the news, something?  Even if it is biased, at least it give you an idea of what is going on.  I talked to a guy yesterday that couldn't figure out why we had problems with Pakistan.  Of course I'm not an expert, but I pointed out to him that since Pakistan has nukes we like to control the leadership.  He was like "Pakistan has nukes"?   God, I give up.  They really don't know anything.  For myself, I'll just keep trying to learn and grow so at least I will not be ignorant.  I wanted to ask you if there are any books out there that you can recommend for reading.  I've been focusing my reading on the gulf countries for some time and would like to find something good for the region with Pakistan/Afghanistan.  The closest I ever got was the Kite Runner and that was a fictional story.
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2008 at 5:04pm
Grid Streets:

Whisper.. well we in Wash DC do not have a normal grid whatsoever. We have convolution all around.. angled streets, same street within different quadrants..

I was on the bus recently and we came to one of the circles.. only to find a moving van facing the wrong direction.. (they go one way).

So I think it says something that Wash DC was PLANNED And its dreafully confusing for people at times here in the streets of DC.. lol
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Salams_wife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salams_wife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2008 at 5:20pm
I found DC very easy to get around in and I've never lived there.  I used to make me laugh that people would ask me for directions even though I don't live there and had been there just for a few days to visit.  I mean you have the alphabet streets so common sense says follow the alphabet if your going that direction.  If you have the numbered streets so you can easily figure out if your going up or down in numbers and turn around if you need to.  This leave just a smaller few streets that generally go diagonal to remember and the circles aren't hard.  I never drove in that city though.  That would have made things difficult with all the one way streets.  Walking and taking the subway was much easier.
Whisper View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whisper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2008 at 1:51pm

Salam�s Wife y Hayfa

I feel terribly guilty. While we were into all those streets, he / she / it just disappeared into thin blue air. We have lost our most educated entertainment.

Now what shall I do.

mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2008 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by aspacia aspacia wrote:

Originally posted by JihadX JihadX wrote:

I hate America!! I wish i could pack up and move.. i wasn't exactly invited to this country anyway

You can pack and move.  Just save your coins and leave, as we do not want those who hate us.Dead

My how nasty, must have hit a nerve somewhere in this person. Actually since I am a daughter of the american revolution and Muslim, YOU LEAVE!
I am ashamed that my  grandmother's ancestors fought and died to give you the freedom to spout your poison!

As for the "southwest" not having any "culture" evidently you  are misinformed, very similar to the supremist genre of humans  that moved here and arrogantly assumed that they  were superior because they  were of the "white" culture that holds power.

Caucasian americans are the invaders. America forcibly stole this part of america from Mexico when they invaded Ciudad De Mexico in the mid 1800's and forced the weak government of Mexico to sign over what is now parts of colorado, utah, arizona, new mexico and Alta california. ("Treaty" of Guadalupe Hildalgo) Part of your manifest destiny at play. And now it is going overseas and spilling onto the peoples of Iraq, Afghanistan and where ever the boats land...
As for the desert southwest, the local culture is here, people who spout silliness such as yours do not see it because of the ivory towers you have closed yourselves up in. Often those involved in the limited perspective of academia cannot sit with the common man and share a meal. I guess you will feel it though when La Migra comes to your door and spirits away your illegal immigrant house maid. My, we may have to swab the loo yet!

You would benefit more from the world if you stopped looking down your nose at others who are different than yourself  and bring yourself to their level and try to imagine what it it like to walk in their shoes and imagine their pains and joys, cultural norms and perspectives. Perhaps as you have traveled in the desert southwest you have noticed the domed churches with the separate standing bell towers dotting the landscape, or the preference for stucco finished flat houses that have red curved tile roofing?
Can you guess where that originated? Welcome to the cultural influences of Islamic Spain!
Islam is here and it is here to stay!

Edited by mariyah - 31 July 2008 at 5:48pm
"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
Whisper View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whisper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2008 at 11:40am

As for the "southwest" not having any "culture" evidently you are misinformed, very similar to the supremist genre of humans that moved here and arrogantly assumed that they were superior because they were of the "white" culture that holds power.

Hamsheer�m,

Pobre thing just vanished, or, shall I say, your spirit made it evaporate in the thin blue air. But, I do miss such interesting things that appear every now and then in our midst.

Back in good old Spain and enjoying it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
  Share Topic