IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - WHY CHRISTIANS REJECT THE KAABA.  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WHY CHRISTIANS REJECT THE KAABA.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 28>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natassia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2009 at 6:13pm
@ islamispeace...

So what is it called when you revere, kiss, and pray towards something?  If it is not worship, what is it?

I never said that the black stone represents Allah.  I simply cited a source that said so.  I also cited sources that say the black stone represents the right hand of Allah, and by kissing it your sins are washed away. 

I am not claiming that any of these things are true.  In fact, I don't believe any of them are.  However, I do believe that Muslim sources prove that Muslims revere, kiss, and pray towards it in hopes of seeking Allah's forgiveness.

One Islamic website says a Hadith is false, another says it is Sahih.  I don't really care which website is correct.  What it does show me, however, is that this black baetyl is a very important part of Islam. 

And if the Hadiths that say the black stone is the right hand of Allah is false, then that means millions of believers who trusted that Hadith have been led astray...nearly to the point of idolatry.
You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life. (John 5:39-40)
herbsinger42 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herbsinger42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 10:59am
Dear Islamispeace:
Can the name calling! It may not be what you believe, but the forum is a place of discussion- not conversion.

Further- and I mean NO disrespect-
The image of the black stone in its silver setting, looked to me- and I am pagan, I admit it readily-- a vulva.

On the one hand- the vulva is the source of us all- Nobody here hatched from an egg; we all spent a portion of time in a uterus, and emerged from a vulva. I find it fascinating... In as much, as if you observe many of the images of the crussifiction of the Christ- the final wound given by the soldier's spear (could be symbolic of a phallus) looks like a vulva, as well.

In pagan ritual, the vulva is the source of all creation, and many of our symbols of worship in contemporary religious practice are evolutions of the pagan symbolism.

I went to a wedding of an Orthodox Christian and found wheat sheaves, apple fruits halved-- all symbols that have origins in the pagan rituals of fertility.

I do not say this to diminish Islam- I ask for clarification. If you do not see the stone in the same way, or have no experience in pagan symbolism, you might not see the similarities that I did.
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 7:35pm

So what is it called when you revere, kiss, and pray towards something?  If it is not worship, what is it?

Praying towards something is not worship.  Revering an artifact because one believes it is a piece of Paradise is not worship.  Kissing the same artifact is not worship.  Like I said, the Jews pray towards the Western Wall.  They don't worship the Western Wall.  When you can get that through your head, you will understand the difference.  Once again, I challenge you to show me any Islamic prayer which is directed at the stone itself.  If you can do that, then and only then will you have proven that Muslims worship the stone.  Otherwise, it is just a baseless claim.

I never said that the black stone represents Allah.  I simply cited a source that said so.  I also cited sources that say the black stone represents the right hand of Allah, and by kissing it your sins are washed away.

And this exposes your shabby research skills.  You don't bother to check your sources.  You simply do a quick search, find a source which agrees with your views in principle and copy and paste it.  Well done. 

Even if the "right hand of Allah" claim was correct and it is an authentic tradition (which it is not), it would not prove the assertion that the stone represents Allah.  That assertion, if is it based on that hadith, would be an interpolation, and not based on facts.  Even the source you quoted said that the representation was simply metaphorical.

I am not claiming that any of these things are true.  In fact, I don't believe any of them are.  However, I do believe that Muslim sources prove that Muslims revere, kiss, and pray towards it in hopes of seeking Allah's forgiveness.

You have not proven anything.  We already know that the black stone is revered as a piece of Paradise and that kissing it is encouraged.  That does not prove that it is an item that is worshiped.  I see that you will not admit your error and will continue to cling to the preconceived notions you had.  That really does say a lot about you.  Too bad.

One Islamic website says a Hadith is false, another says it is Sahih.  I don't really care which website is correct.  What it does show me, however, is that this black baetyl is a very important part of Islam. 

Oh please.  You have not presented any evidence that the stone was even a "baetyl".  You have simply committed a non sequitur by assuming that since there were "baetyls" around, then automatically we can assume that the black stone was one such baetyl.  And yet, you have presented no evidence that it was such a baetyl.  

And if the Hadiths that say the black stone is the right hand of Allah is false, then that means millions of believers who trusted that Hadith have been led astray...nearly to the point of idolatry.

Another silly assumption.  Since I have shown that most scholars from more than a millinium ago had determined that the hadith was not sahih, what makes you assume that "millions of believers who trusted that Hadith have been led astray..."?  Can you establish that this hadith was widely followed?  How could it when legendary scholars like Ibn Taymiyyah had determined that it was false? 
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by herbsinger42 herbsinger42 wrote:

Dear Islamispeace:
Can the name calling! It may not be what you believe, but the forum is a place of discussion- not conversion.

Further- and I mean NO disrespect-
The image of the black stone in its silver setting, looked to me- and I am pagan, I admit it readily-- a vulva.

On the one hand- the vulva is the source of us all- Nobody here hatched from an egg; we all spent a portion of time in a uterus, and emerged from a vulva. I find it fascinating... In as much, as if you observe many of the images of the crussifiction of the Christ- the final wound given by the soldier's spear (could be symbolic of a phallus) looks like a vulva, as well.

In pagan ritual, the vulva is the source of all creation, and many of our symbols of worship in contemporary religious practice are evolutions of the pagan symbolism.

I went to a wedding of an Orthodox Christian and found wheat sheaves, apple fruits halved-- all symbols that have origins in the pagan rituals of fertility.

I do not say this to diminish Islam- I ask for clarification. If you do not see the stone in the same way, or have no experience in pagan symbolism, you might not see the similarities that I did.

Yes, I have heard this claim from Hindus.  I think it is the result of an overactive imagination.  People can look at almost anything and make it into something it is not.  Its sort of like when some people saw the smoke from the World Trade Center and saw the face of the Devil or like when one looks at a cloud and sees some image.

What most people forget about the stone is that the silver setting was not always there.  It was added to give it some structure.  That is all.  Therefore, the claim that is resembles a vulva is untrue and based on nothing but one's imagination.             
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herbsinger42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 8:16pm
You have not proven anything. We already know that the black stone is revered as a piece of Paradise and that kissing it is encouraged. That does not prove that it is an item that is worshiped. I see that you will not admit your error and will continue to cling to the preconceived notions you had. That really does say a lot about you. Too bad.

I don't think she's trying to prove anything... she, and I, know nothing of your belief structures and are trying to link it to things we DO know to better understand the meaning. For instance, in the link with the pictures of the stone in situ, there wasn't an explanation of the stone representing or believed to be a piece of paradise... I didn't read the entirety of the myth--
Again, it is typical for folks to try to compare something unknown to something known. It is not done to offend, just to make a comparison that is "like to like". Catholics revere, kiss, and pray to icons of the Holy Mother... Saints... as well as the Christ on the cross... all that may be happening here is a comparison of something she's familiar with to behaviors that resemble something she's seen before.

For instance- the first time I ate a Kiwi, I said it tastes like a cross between a strawberry and a banana. It is neither- but to me it had the texture of a strawberry, yet the sweetness and flavor of a banana. Someone else might describe it differently.
Peace, I'm not, nor is anyone else trying to disuade you from your faith, we're trying to organize in our minds where the parts fit together.
To REVERE:to regard with respect tinged with awe; venerate
Origin:
1655�65; < L reverērī, equiv. to re- re- + verērī to stand in awe of, fear, feel reverence

Semantics... revere and worship are close- so, you say it is an act of reverence... ok.

And this exposes your shabby research skills. You don't bother to check your sources. You simply do a quick search, find a source which agrees with your views in principle and copy and paste it. Well done.

Even if the "right hand of Allah" claim was correct and it is an authentic tradition (which it is not), it would not prove the assertion that the stone represents Allah. That assertion, if is it based on that hadith, would be an interpolation, and not based on facts. Even the source you quoted said that the representation was simply metaphorical.

Ok-- Is the stone a metaphorical representation for the right hand of Allah... or a piece of paradise? I'm growing confused

Please-- we are using language we are not familiar with... If we misuse a term, correction is laudable. Berating a person for ignorance of semantics in a language with which they are not familiar is just being rude.
I'm a teacher of English in a middle school in Las Vegas, Nevada... I have had 19 language groups at one time. I understand the struggle... please, correct us so we do better next time... take a deep breath, and be patient.
Again, we're hanging our understanding on clumsy comparisons because we're just learning these things. The difference is NOT obvious to us. point me in a direction... I'll go look.
I do not mean to say that I'm ready to become a Queranic (sp) scholar. I'm not... school starts soon for me, and believe it or not, I work very hard to prepare for students from roughly three other countries trying to read and write in English, and some will be in their first year.
I'm in my first year, here.
It is as if you are dealing with babies... that can already read and write.

Another silly assumption. Since I have shown that most scholars from more than a millinium ago had determined that the hadith was not sahih, what makes you assume that "millions of believers who trusted that Hadith have been led astray..."? Can you establish that this hadith was widely followed? How could it when legendary scholars like Ibn Taymiyyah had determined that it was false?

As a teacher of language... the use of MOST here-- that says to me it is not proof, it is a widely held belief.

determination of a scholar, as well researched as it may be is a hypothesis... not a proof.
Religious writing is not math. It cannot be 'reproduced'.
Dueling philosophies is what brings us here...
I've got archeologists that place pagan beliefs and practices prior to Judaism, Islam, Christianity, and Buddhism... But I cannot PROVE any belief.
Neither can you.

You can support your practices. I'm here to find out about the practices... not talk you out of yours. Really.

I'm not out to make caracatures. I'm not out to convert. Should I go elsewhere? Is this offensive?

I do not disparage your scholars or your scholarship. I simply do not take support, no matter how many voices one can call upon to support a position, as a "proof". I do take it as support for a position. Not a thing wrong with support.

It just isn't "proof"-- You cannot prove a negative, either, so absence of voices is not a 'disproof' in my mind.
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herbsinger42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 8:21pm
Peace- I see a vulva-- it may not be what the artist/ artisan intended... but I see what I see.

It wasn't aclaim, it was a question.

I read that it is not perceived as a vulva. Fascinating...
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 3:29am
Hello Herbsinger,

I became a Muslim 5 years ago. And no there is no mention of praying to the stone, or asking it to intercede on our behalf. If you look in the Quran there is nothing to this effect.

As a former Catholic / Christian I am pretty wary of ever getting into praying to another person or thing to either do things for me or to 'intercede.'  As we Muslims are taught. go directly to God, which is in all of us.  Its really stunning when reading about the creation of babies.. and at some point the heart just starts beating (or not but different issue). That is remarkable.

Many Muslims here will share their religion. There are always one or two people that come here to cut and post anti-Islam stuff that really is often incorrect and taken way out of context.

It is certainly a test in patience. Sadly Natassia is doing this all over the boards. We have had other non-Muslims come here showing respect to others. So actually Islamispeace  has been VERY patient. More patient than I.

Welcome. It will be interesting to learn about your beliefs.

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herbsinger42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 6:27am
Hiya Hayfa...
I'm sorry. There are those that do try to convert... if they think it is their duty, it is impossible to to convince them otherwise...
As a pagan, I do understand.
Many folks believe that we are fair game for anyone. We're really not.

I'm sure you suffer the same-My mother jokes... as do others, that they are recovering Catholics, but I think the Evangelicals are charged with changing the world so Christ can return. It is one of the excuses for letting the Israeli government act badly-- I find it poppycock.

I do believe in reincarnation, myself. I base it on science, tho, not spirit... I shall become wormfood, one day-- then the worm feeds the bird... or the grass... etc. Physics tells us no energy is ever lost, it merely changes form. Since we're a closed system, I cannot imagine spirit would waste what I am now, anymore than I'll waste that apricot--

Blessings, and thanks.
Islamispeace, however, does not serve by namecalling... or belittling. Seriously, you feed the beast in this manner... either block Natasha, or ignore her rants. Giving her a platform, if she's being belligerent. I've been thrown out of forums cause someone disagreed with me... if someone is being rude- and not just honest in the debate, it is fair to remove them.

Ask for a change... then act.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 28>
  Share Topic