IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Women in Islam versus Judeo-christiamity  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Women in Islam versus Judeo-christiamity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2008 at 8:45am
Well, speaking as a woman who worked for many years in a field where I was in charge of men and women and my decisions and how I performed my duties affected people's lives, I just have to say that stating a menstruating woman cannot perform her duties is just ridiculous. 

If every single woman who had to work to survive became incompetent and ineffectual everytime she had her menses they would starve. Not to mention all of those womanly household chores that wouldn't get done and the children who would be on their own for 3 to 7 days a week.....

I am curious, do you women just stay in bed for your entire menses? How can you drive a car which takes concentration and decision making skills, decide what to cook for dinner which forces you to decide something, watch over your children which forces you to be a leader....

Edited by Shasta'sAunt - 28 June 2008 at 8:46am
�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2008 at 8:32pm
Dear Shasta's aunt,

I have no doubt whatsoever that women can excel in anything if they put their mind to it and even the worse of menstruation cramps will not put them off.

As to lying down in bed, personally, I had the experience, once in a while, but still even how terrible it was it only took about one day of incapacity. Other than that no matter what, household chores does not recognize medical leave.

I am just trying to point out to Angel as to why women are not made to be leaders of men. Of course there are a few excellent women, but if it takes precedence over family, i think she is not a successful women. Only women who excel in her career as well as her family, then, that woman could be considered extraordinary. However not many can be found.

Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2008 at 7:01am
Originally posted by Nur_Ilahi Nur_Ilahi wrote:

I am just trying to point out to Angel as to why women are not made to be leaders of men.

Using menstruation is a quite poor example, Nur. As well as men are weak or the women a soft voice to get lost in, that is also a poor excuse to not let women lead, why should women suffer/miss out because men are weak. Perhaps the men need to strengthen up a bit.

Is that how you see the whole thing, that woman would be leaders of men? Because I don't, if your in a mix congretation at the mosque then there is no need for such things.

If you're going to have an all male gathering, then yes let one of the men lead. And with an all female gathering then one of the women will as that is already happening there is no need for things to change. When ALL attend for mosque together then it should be allowed for women to lead. If you're going to have a balanced religion then both genders should be allowed NOT just one, otherwise it is an unbalanced religion and one I cannot really call the only true religion (not that I do anyway) . It should be given as a choice a choice of the woman if they choose to follow that path.

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2008 at 7:04am
In TN, a mosque for women run by women
29 Jun 2008, 0306 hrs IST, Meenakshi Sinha,TNN

NEW DELHI: She's credited with forming the world's first all-women jamaat, a body of elders who decide on domestic disputes and religious matters. Now, 43-year-old Daud Sharifa Khanam hopes to create another first � a mosque for women and managed by women.

"Women can't laugh, weep, love or write. There's still a large section of women in this country who're dominated by men and society," says Khanam, who nurtured a dream of fighting gender discrimination. Outraged at the patriarchal order and brutalities meted out to her ilk, Khanam impatiently outgrew her adolescence to become an audacious adult. But this transformation was slow and hard.

Raised in a conservative lower middle class Muslim family by a single mother who was a teacher, Khanam was the 10th child; she has five brothers and four sisters. As a seven-year-old, her dreams centred around learning to cycle. But she wasn't allowed to step out of house in Puddukottai in Trichy district of Tamil Nadu. "Then, freedom meant learning to cycle," she says. Today, this feisty woman has cycled a long way.

Having completed a diploma in secretarial course from AMU, it wasn't long before the first sparks of rebellion showed up as she took to teaching. This way she tried to ward off many marriage proposals. "I didn't want to lead the life led by my mother and many others like her," she says.

Her first chance to break the shackles came as a Hindi translator for the All India Women's Conference in Patna in 1988. "For the first time, I heard women speak about discrimination and violence against them. I realized how violence comes naturally to men and was restless to do something about it." The result was the formation of STEPS, a women's development organization in 1991.

With the slogan 'Respect is the First Step of Women's Liberation', STEPS took up issues related to martial dispute, desertion, dowry harassment, sexual abuse, cheating and physical and psychological torture. Besides providing temporary shelter to battered women, STEPS also helped women get livelihood, free legal aid and counselling.

Gradually, Khanam realised how misconceptions pertaining to Islam were perpetuated by male clerics in matters relating to dowry, talaq and personal law. Dowry, though prohibited under Islam, was widely prevalent and went up to Rs 50,000, whereas meher (given by the man in lieu of marriage) was restricted to a mere Rs 500, she says. Similarly, the triple talaq has been used casually by men who use either the phone, letters, Khaji (a body of elders who decide on domestic disputes and religious matters) or internet to end a marriage.

When women approached the police for help, they were referred to the jamaat, saying it came under the purview of personal law. But the jamaat functioned inside mosques where women weren't allowed to enter. "So women can't give their side of the story or hear judgments involving them," says Khanam.

This is when she formed an all-women's jamaat � the Tamil Nadu Muslim Women's Jamaat Committee (TNMWJC) � in 2003. It started with 40 members from 13 districts. Today, it boasts of 25,000 members. It has since been in the process of defining a philosophy of liberation and rights, drawing equally from the Quran and India's Constitution.

But Khanam realised this alone wasn't enough. The mosque-jamaat axis is a power centre controlling the community. "When women are refused representation in a jamaat as it's attached to a mosque, where we can't enter, we have to build our own mosque," she reasons.

She led by example. She donated a piece of land for the mosque and laid the foundation stone. "I spent close to Rs 6 lakh on it and aim to collect Rs 100 each from all STEPS members and international women's organizations to complete it," she says resolutely.

She envisions the mosque developing into a place where women can pray, talk, laugh and share their joys and sorrows.

Where they can seek justice and disseminate issues like health care, education and talaq. Khanam welcomes men into the mosque, but all aspects will be managed by women, including having a woman moulvi well-versed in the Quran.

Meanwhile, she faces many roadblocks from traditional clerics and male members of the community, including death threats and ridicule. But an International Labour Organization recognition and listing among the world's 100 heroines by the US-based 100 Heroines Project, have given Khanam a pan-India appeal.

And when she isn't doing this meaningful work, she chills out listening to old Hindi songs with an understanding husband and an 18-month-old adopted daughter.

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2008 at 11:03am
"Of course there are a few excellent women,"

Sister, there are hundreds of thousands of women who have children and no husband who have to work and do everything else out of necessity, women who are married but their husbands refuse or are unable to financially support them, women who have to work because one salary is not enough. And I am not talking about one salary not being enough to buy televisions and cars, I am talking about not enough to buy food and gas. 

These women do not have the option of staying at home. If I am to believe what I have been reading, then you and other Muslim women consider these women immasculate failures.  Is that correct?
Eleanor Roosevelt
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2008 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by Angel Angel wrote:

"Women can't laugh, weep, love or write. There's still a large section of women in this country who're dominated by men and society," says Khanam, who nurtured a dream of fighting gender discrimination.

And this country is not an islamic country. So she can expect from such country that few women are not allowed to weep,love or write.. Islam is an exception to it. WOmen are allowed here. No one can stop her.

Outraged at the patriarchal order and brutalities meted out to her ilk,

Just  her own experience of life, does n;t mean all women faced such.

Her first chance to break the shackles came as a Hindi translator for the All India Women's Conference in Patna in 1988. "For the first time, I heard women speak about discrimination and violence against them. I realized how violence comes naturally to men and was restless to do something about it." The result was the formation of STEPS, a women's development organization in 1991.

Again the stories she might have heard must be of all women belonging to different religions. India is a country in which many religions are practiced. All other religions are n't perfect. The stories she listened are the ill effects of those religions. Not to forget, few muslim families were also affected by it.

It has since been in the process of defining a philosophy of liberation and rights, drawing equally from the Quran and India's Constitution.

This shows, how well versed is she with Islamic Laws, that she needed Indian constitution. Islam is a perfect religion. No law of Islam is against human law.

Meanwhile, she faces many roadblocks from traditional clerics

Who is the so - called modern cleric supporting her? Infact, none of them is supporting her. Even women are against her .

But an International Labour Organization recognition and listing among the world's 100 heroines by the US-based 100 Heroines Project, have given Khanam a pan-India appeal.

Here comes the evil force behind her thoughts and actions.

ening to old Hindi songs with an understanding husband and an 18-month-old adopted daughter.

Hah ! A women who's running a mosque, listening to old bollywood hindi songs !

Anyways Angel, women in Islam are given maximum freedom, which they can enjoy to the fullest. But if they try to cross them, they not only contaminate themselves, but also the whole society. We did read, how well do other religions treat women . Show me one single religion, which gives her such freedom.

Shasta'a aunt, a muslim woman can come out if there is necessity. But again if she defines her own definition of necessity, it may be tough again. Unless, the basic eminities are not met, she can go out for jobs.

Edited by seekshidayath - 29 June 2008 at 10:23pm
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2008 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Angel Angel wrote:

When women approached the police for help, they were referred to the jamaat, saying it came under the purview of personal law. But the jamaat functioned inside mosques where women weren't allowed to enter. "So women can't give their side of the story or hear judgments involving them," says Khanam.

But Khanam realised this alone wasn't enough. The mosque-jamaat axis is a power centre controlling the community. "When women are refused representation in a jamaat as it's attached to a mosque, where we can't enter, we have to build our own mosque," she reasons.

Woman in Islam are allowed to pray in mosques. So how come was she not allowed to enter mosques ? Even in India, women have there section to offer prayers.  Anyways, this article does n't represent the condition of Islam in India, nor is it relates to us. It must  be a part of publicity of her Spark / STEPS. Or an article to defame muslims.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 12:40pm
"Anyways Angel, women in Islam are given maximum freedom, which they can enjoy to the fullest. But if they try to cross them, they not only contaminate themselves, but also the whole society. We did read, how well do other religions treat women . Show me one single religion, which gives her such freedom.

Shasta'a aunt, a muslim woman can come out if there is necessity. But again if she defines her own definition of necessity, it may be tough again. Unless, the basic eminities are not met, she can go out for jobs."

If Muslim women have maximum freedom, which I personally believe they do, then they have the right to go out whenever they choose to do so. Your statement putting conditions on this negates your avowel of maximum freedom. If she has to, if a man lets her, but not if she herself defines the necessity, she can't cross boundaries or she will contaminate society....  All of this to feed your children? No wonder so many non-Muslims think Islam treats women so badly. It's not Islam, it's the Muslims.
Eleanor Roosevelt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic