IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - what is mutta?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what is mutta?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murium1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what is mutta?
    Posted: 27 May 2008 at 11:05pm
     salam ,i wana ask what is mutta? this i heard frm sum specific comunity ...i wana no complete information about  this issue...
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2008 at 12:33pm
ASA
Mutta is a "TEMPORARY MARRIAGE" amongst Shias.

Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2008 at 1:57pm

Misyar marriages gaining prominence among Saudis

By Mariam Al Hakeem, Correspondent

Riyadh: With the number of unmarried women in Saudi Arabia rising at alarming rates, an undeclared marriage system known locally as misyar is gaining prominence.

This form of marriage has also generated controversy and subsequent debate at all levels of the society and among religious scholars.

Misyar is described as a form of marriage in which the wife gives up her rights offered under the religion, including the right to have the husband living with her in the same house and providing her with necessary expenses.

In short the woman gives up the right to have an independent home. The husband may come to see her at her parent's home at whatever time he chooses for himself, or at a time agreed by the two.

Although there are no official statistics on this kind of marriage, most social researchers agree the phenomenon is on the rise and is no longer confined to a particular group.

Some scholars approve of the practice by saying that it meets the basic requirements of legal marriage under Islam and helps in solving many social problems resulting from spinsterhood.

Others denounce the practice, saying it is unlawful because it does not meet the marriage requirements as stipulated by Shariah, and could thus result in more serious moral and social problems.

Among those who approve misyar is prominent Saudi scholar Shaikh Abdullah Bin Sulaiman Bin Menie. A member of the Supreme Ulema Council, Shaikh Menie says misyar is legal since it meets the requirements for a lawful marriage under Islam.

"What distinguishes this kind of marriage from others is that the wife voluntarily waives her right of having the husband living with her in the same house and paying for her necessary expenses. She agrees to have the husband visit her at any time, day or night, at the time convenient to him," he said.

Shaikh Menie said the conditions agreed by the wife do not affect the validity of the marriage and the wife can still demand her full rights, including having the husband live with her and provide for her expenses. The husband in this case is free to agree to her terms or opt for divorce, he added.

He cited the case of Al Sayida Souda, one of the wives of Prophet Mohammad (Peace Be Upon Him), who agreed to give up her right of having the Prophet spend every alternate night with her in favour of the Prophet's other wife, Al Sayida Aisha.

The problem of spinsterhood prompted the Shura Council to intervene.

It recently asked 50 Saudi female intellectuals and educationists to present strategies for dealing with the issue.

Saudi families, women in particular, were advised to accept a more modest dowry to lessen marriage expenses.

The director of social affairs department in Jeddah, Ehsan Al Tayeb described misyar as a "social phenomenon resulting from discrepancies in the country's very family structure and the marriage system".

Legal advisor, Hamid Fallata, says of misyar: "It is the choice of the coward who resort to marrying secretly," and warned the practice could result in more serious social and legal problems instead of solving these.

Social researcher, Abdullah Al Dosari, cited several reasons for the phenomenon.

"Some of these relate to men, others to women and still others have to do with the society in general. Some men want to have more than one wife for various reasons, perhaps for not being happy with the first wife."

"Women fear spinsterhood and find solace in this kind of marriage. Divorced and widowed women would not want to spend the rest of their life without a husband," he explained.

Matchmaker Um Talal said some women resort to misyar because they want to stay at their parents' home to take care of them, especially if there is no one else in the family to do so.

Some physically challenged women would also want to marry this way and their parents would not object because they want their daughter to have a husband.

abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2008 at 2:05pm
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2008 at 4:30pm
bi ismillahi rahmani raheem

assalamu alaikum

I dont know if its funny or just irony, the extremists used to critisise the shia for mutta marriage and make all sorts of trouble between shia and sunni's to the point where shia hated sunni's becouse of how they where treated and now these extremists children are doing the exact same thing the shia are supposedly "hated" for.

He cited the case of Al Sayida Souda, one of the wives of Prophet Mohammad (Peace Be Upon Him), who agreed to give up her right of having the Prophet spend every alternate night with her in favour of the Prophet's other wife, Al Sayida Aisha.

this is just a joke anyone who has ever read this hadith can see she was doing Aisha the favour not rasul allah [sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam] and it had nothing to do with the original marriage arrangment between her and the prophet, these people are void of common sence.

Edited by rami - 28 May 2008 at 10:14pm
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
Hamzah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamzah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2008 at 3:10am
Assalam Alaikum Wa Rahmatullah
Brother Rami
there is a big diffirence between Muta and Misyar
There are pillars for marriage in Islam

1-Proposal
2-Acceptance
3-Guardian
4-2 Witnesses
5-Announcement

The Scholers (these are people who have studied Fiqh and have knowledge in it) who Allow it say Misyar contains all 5, you may say that according to the NEWSPAPER articles that some don't, as some are kept secret, this is true but that is only the fault of the people involved, the reason for announcement is to protect the Females dignity as if it was done in secrecy it would look suspicious when a man was wondering in and out of her home.

Muta:
a man and woman agree upon a fixed amount of money and fixed period of time to stay married, even for one day, when this time period is finished the marriage is void, there is no guardian unless the female is a virgin, this type of marriage is not permissible in all Sunni sects and even in some Shia Sects.

You referred to Saudi's ( I don't know if you ment the Scholers or Saudi's in general ) as Extremists which I find weird coming from a wise person as yourself, if you mean bearded people do this more often than others then you are very wrong, it is actually the other way around.

The Fatwa behind it took the fact that it contained all pillars of marriage in it, it served the women who could not leave her parents house, who couldn't be with a man 24/7 due to working or any other reason or those who were finding it difficult to marry due to age or divorce, and it served men who wanted to marry and could not afford to open another house, not all men married this way have other wives, i hope you get the point brother.

As for them being the reason Shia hate Sunni's, I can post for you several Shia Clerics on Video stating that Sunni's are Kafirs and that they should be eliminated, or do you want me to post for you video's of them calling Aysha RA a whore (Astagfirullah)and cursing Abu Bakr and Calling Omar RA and calling them the (Jubt and Taghout);

Sunni's don't beleive in the Wilayah of Ali RA, this is an enough reason for them to make Sunni's Kafirs and hate them, i have heared one Shia Shaik saying that a Shia who does not pray and is bad to the bone will go to heaven becuase he has the Wilayah to Ali and this will save him on the day of judgment while a good Sunni who prays and fasts all his life will go to HELL!
i have been living in Bahrain for the last 10 months, i know so many Shia's and they are friends, i have nothing against them personally.

Finally this topic was started as a question about Muta and suddenly it has changed into Misyar, the person who asked wanted some info on Muta and then AbuAysha may Allah guide us and him to the right way posted an article from a NEWSPAPER talking about Misyar, it's funny that in some so called Muslim countries there are types of marriages such as Urfy marriage in which there are no witnesses, no guardian, no announcement, just a guy and a girl and a piece of paper, yet you see no mention of this, maybe we should start doing it in Saudi Arabia then people may start thinking how unlawful and haram it is.

Subhanaka Allahum Wa Bihamdik, Ashhad Ala Illah Illa Ant, Astaghfiruka Wa Atoub Elayk
May Allah guide us to the right path, ameen

Edited by Hamzah - 03 June 2008 at 3:37am
"Whosoever fears Allah, he will appoint for him a way out, and provide for him from where he does not expect"
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2008 at 4:34pm
Bi ismillahi rahmani raheem

assalamu alaikum Brother

Beffore i say anything else i will say i was upset in my last post so there was exageration [out of anger] in what i said, i have a beard by the way so no that isnt why i said extremists.

I think its kept secret becouse it works exactly like mutta marriage, it allows the man to marry multiple wives with out them ever knowing about each other he can also divorce and re marry as he likes.

Does the woman have a right to know if her husband to be is already married in saudi?

it doesnt matter to me what "some" [or most or many] shia clerics say i have also seen videos of clerics in Iran who are not this extreme [and have met many indaviduals] and hold such views [many agree the shia doctrine of today is not the same as it used to be] the issue is when ignorant and blind people take the actions of one individual or a group of individuals to represent the majority while in Allahs sight and judgment each person is only responsible for his own actions....this is how saudi's in general are extremists [a word that can be used in many ways and not simply to mean bomb strapping individuals] they have this quality.

the exaggeration i mentioned earlier is that i limited this to Saudi's when i shouldn't have done so but to be fair the topic was about them.

"Sunni's don't beleive in the Wilayah of Ali RA"

what do you mean by wilayah the term seems similar to wali but i am not certain.
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
Hamzah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamzah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2008 at 5:37pm
Assalam Alaikum
Brother thanks for your reply, if it makes you feel better i personally don't like Misyar, i just can't swallow it, May Allah guide us all to the right path.

Is it the right of a woman to know if her husband to be is allready married?
yes it is believe it or not, and it is easy to find out, even Misyar marriage is listed and by your national ID number a search in the civil affairs will show everything.

Regarding Wilayah:
Shia's think Wilayah is a god given right to Ali RA, to secceed the prophet in leading the Uma and that Abu Bakr along with Omar had betrayed and prevented the prophet at his death to put this in writing so that they could take over after the prophet.
"Whosoever fears Allah, he will appoint for him a way out, and provide for him from where he does not expect"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic